PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
As everyone knows I tend towards Dublin Cutty pipes in meerschaum although over the years I have accumulated quite a few other meerschaum pipes of the non-garden statue variety with one or two purchased by yours truly in the mid 1980s. I thought I would add these pictures to cheer up the forum and add a little color to the monochromatic proceedings!
pipe_ebay_01_zps6e94a239.jpg

pipe_ebay_02_zpse021c7da.jpg

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Pre WW1 with a rather nice undamaged amber stem that has not suffered from too much 'teeth chatter' and the pipe has a really good uniform color. The case is in surprisingly good condition as well since soft leather was not common as the covering for pipe cases until the mid 1930s.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
IMG-20140207-00112_zps13c8a268.jpg

Here is the other billiard I own which was purchased new either from Inderwicks on Carnaby Street in London or it might have come from the pipe shop just off from Covent Garden or from G Smith & Sons of Charing Cross Road. Sadly all of these establishments have long since gone out of business to be replaced by high end boutiques selling very expensive shoes that are purchased by my wife. London really has lost so much character with many casualties falling by the wayside as a result of the head long rush known as globalization! It is interesting to note that modern block meerschaum does not color as well as its Victorian predecessor since after almost thirty years of smoking the pipes refuses to color any further. Go figure!

eightywon

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 4, 2014
Both are very nice pipes, I can't get over how sweet that first one is though!

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Wow...the coloring on that first one is exquisite...just amazing...and the pipe looks to be in truly excellent condition for its age. Very nice Condor, thanks for sharing...enjoy every puff.
It is interesting to note that modern block meerschaum does not color as well as its Victorian predecessor since after almost thirty years of smoking the pipes refuses to color any further. Go figure!
Interesting...I wonder what the reason for this is.

ericthered

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2014
Suffolk, VA
I've never seen a glossier meer than that first one! How does one go about polishing a meerschaum pipe without affecting the color?

Status
Not open for further replies.