PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

piffyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2015
I have eclectic tastes when it comes to pipes. I appreciate French curves, British elegance, Italian machismo and Danish naturalism, but I also have a big soft spot for Americana, novelties and weirdos. In my opinion, those last three things were never summed up in a single pipe better than they were in The Doodler.
This one was a gift from a good friend. He never really got on with the styling and knew that I had an interest in them. So, he passed it along. It was in good condition when it arrived and only moderately smoked. I knew that it would clean up nicely.
The Doodler is certainly not a pipe that suits everyone’s taste, but that’s exactly what I love about it.
u8qhx8C.jpg

LKyYTYR.jpg

yKv0Lo0.jpg

nJhAFFn.jpg

L6ZLb8O.jpg

piffyr

Apr 24, 2015
The Doodler was designed by Tracy Mincer of Custom-Bilt fame. Production of the pipes began in 1952, the same year that Tracy lost the rights to the Custom-Bilt name. National Briar manufactured the pipe for Tracy until they purchased the rights from him outright in the early ‘60s. As far as I know, they continued to produce them until they closed up shop in the mid to late ‘80s. This pipe is a post-Mincer production, which can be identified by the star logo on the stem.
The distinguishing features of The Doodler are obvious. The marketing line is that the drilled and carved channels around the bowl allow heat to escape leading to a cooler smoke, but I think we all know that’s just BS. Like the craggy, Custom-Bilt rustication (some of which is also displayed on The Doodler), it’s just a creative way to hide flaws and make sub-par briar marketable. When a pipe has this much character, who cares though, right?
So, here’s the finished pipe in all of its quirky glory…
ov7qAd9.jpg

4DrWMie.jpg

RByd9Ly.jpg

sfaF9VN.jpg

BRtNS6C.jpg

30T7bwm.jpg

By the way, that roughness on the face of the stem isn’t crud. It’s chatter from a cutting blade that needed to sharpened long before this pipe was ever made.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I have eclectic tastes when it comes to pipes.
Then you, Sir, are a man after my own heart. I love this pipe. I too, always seem to be drawn to the different examples of pipes and other things. I can't help it. It's never been about wanting to be different, but more of an appreciation for the different. I'm always pulled in by something that doesn't fall in line with everything else.
Fantastic looking pipe there, brother!

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
The holes are supposed to transport heat. I have often thought about a design along those lines, but never knew it actually existed. It sure is a funny thing.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I love everything about this pipe, because you love it. I’ve been loving your pipe pics on the “what are you smoking” posts. Your pipes are fun and wholly your own style, I enjoy seeing them. Keep them coming brother.

piffyr

Apr 24, 2015
The holes are supposed to transport heat.

That's what the marketing department wants you to believe, but in actuality the channels were made to carve out flaws in the briar.
Tracy developed the Custom-Bilt rustication for the same purpose. Large, deep flaws in a were just cut out of the roughly shaped stummels with a router bit (or something similar). Then, the whole pipe was gone over with the same technique and an iconic and often imitated style was born.

piffyr

Apr 24, 2015
@npod -- Thank you, my friend. I enjoy different pipes for different reasons. Sometimes, it's the shape. Sometimes, it's the associated history. Sometimes, it's because the damn thing smokes so well. Sometimes, it's for reasons that I can't put into words.

Status
Not open for further replies.