PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
I'm curious why you bought this.
It looks like it's an arm's length away from being tossed in the trash bin.
I wouldn't smoke that. Nor would I pay anyone to repair it. You literally bought a clearly broken item.
Toss it. Try again.

spud

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 10, 2013
Beauty,,,,,Is in the eye of the beholder.
I plan to smoke this pipe, that I can afford, till I'm eighty. Which isn't that far off.

For those on Social Security, we are not so choosey.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Spud. Id love to send you a pipe that is clean and not broken.
Please pm me your address so I can send you a nice sav that I don't smoke to often.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Pictures are sometime deceiving. Granted she looks pretty rough, but I'm withholding judgement until she's all cleaned up and polished. Good Luck, Spud !

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
If you have the inclination, I think it would be a great candidate for practicing refinishing or even rusticating. But it frankly doesn't look smoke-able to me.
You get what you pay for.

oldredbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2012
I acquired this one some time back. As you can see, it is also cracked and doesn't have the right stem in it. However it smokes fantastic, great for smoking while mowing the lawn. Clean her up, and I bet she'll give you some good smokes.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Spud. Id love to send you a pipe that is clean and not broken.
Please pm me your address so I can send you a nice sav that I don't smoke to often.

Nice, + 1 for you. Honestly though, as long as the pipe is okay on the inside, it'll probably be fine.
1.81 us = 45.08 Nicaraguan Cordoba Oro (NIO) What's the typical wage Cordoba oro's per hour? That should put it in perspective to these americans.

Stats I just found Median Monthly Disposable Salary (After Tax) 720.00 $ So 720 american dollars a month, doesn't sound like you have money to be blowing on high priced pipes. I hope it works out well and would like to congratulate our fellow member for helping out another pipe smoker.

spud

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 10, 2013
The standard wage here is not by the hour, it's by the day. $2 a day US. That's Cordobas 50 a day. 5 day work week, Thats $10 dollars a week.That's what a laborer gets a week. Skilled labor gets double that. Nica is the second poorest country in the western hemisphere. That was a very kind offer, But I turned him down. If I lived in the USA I'd probally have to be a street person, but I choose to live here so I do not need to take any form of welfare. Pipe tobacco is not available here in Nica. I smoke the tobacco that is left over from cigar manufacture here in my pipes. Sure wish I could get the fancy store bought pipe tobacco that you guys talk about. I may be poor, but the quality of life here is very good.

Happy Lunting--------Spud

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Good luck to you, Spud.
I still fail to see how buying a broken pipe for $2, paying $20 for freight from the UK to Nicaragua, is a good deal, no matter your location .....
Here's the original eBay listing for those who wish to see LINK

spud

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 10, 2013
No matter what I buy, I have to pay shipping. If I could buy a 2 hundred dollar pipe I would still have to pay shipping.

quote from somebody---Watch the pennies and the dollars will take care of themselves.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
I understand. Or trying to understand. Sorry for being harsh. And the harshness of others as well.
What I am trying to understand is .... for US$ 22, would not a perfectly good pipe, even of lower quality than a Peterson, be available to you locally? Personally, having a broken pipe, or anything else that does/would not function as intended, causes a lot of anguish :cry:

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
The standard wage here is not by the hour, it's by the day. $2 a day US. That's Cordobas 50 a day. 5 day work week, Thats $10 dollars a week.That's what a laborer gets a week. Skilled labor gets double that. Nica is the second poorest country in the western hemisphere. That was a very kind offer, But I turned him down. If I lived in the USA I'd probally have to be a street person, but I choose to live here so I do not need to take any form of welfare. Pipe tobacco is not available here in Nica. I smoke the tobacco that is left over from cigar manufacture here in my pipes. Sure wish I could get the fancy store bought pipe tobacco that you guys talk about. I may be poor, but the quality of life here is very good.
Well then I don't understand why you wouldn't take a free pipe some guy is being nice enough to send you including paying the shipping, it's called being nice and realizing we have it well, just trying to help someone out. If your paying 20$ shipping for a 1$ pipe, I don't know why you wouldn't take up an offer of kindness from another forum member and then at least have a good pipe for sure. If it does come and it totally sucks, there's 2 weeks wages gone, but in the end it's not my life, so do what you want.

spud

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 10, 2013
There are ZERO B&M's in Nica. There is ZERO pipe tobacco for sale. I am the only person that I know of here that smokes a pipe. When I am having a bowl full on the front porch, kids will come up and stare at me, because they have never seen a pipe in their life. Adults will stare also, but discreetly. I have been asked by adults what the name of that which is in my mouth.

Pipe smoking is an European thing. The Mayan peoples forever have smoked cigars. Almost all people here are brown or black. There are very few Europeans here.

I do not enjoy smoking cigars. The pipe tobacco is scraps from off the floor of cigar factories, and is nasty stuff. But it is all there is that is available.

Everything that is associated with pipes must be shipped in. I have to pay shipping on pipe cleaners, lighter fluid,flints, EVERYTHING! Shipping from the UK is cheaper than from the USA of comparable services. The seller on Ebay determines how he will ship what you buy.

spud

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 10, 2013
To Andrew

I'm not a Nica. I am an expat from Missouri. I stopped working in the US when blindness forced me out of the job market. I'm now 70 Y.O.

As I explained to the very generous forum member I have some pipes that my father had when he past away, and I have some cobs from M&M, the 10 seconds in a bag.

By Nica standards I am very well off. By US standards I'm at the bottom of the income charts. But I don't live in the US. When I buy thing from the first world countries it is very expensive. What

I buy here is very very cheap. As an example. Here I live in a beautiful 3 bedroom house 50 yards from the Pacific ocean and beach. Rent $150 a month. It would be impossible for me to rent anything in California 50 yards from the Pacific and the beach.I don't want to mislead a generous person. I'm only poor in the US.

wildcat

Jan 1, 2012
Don't let the naysayers get you down spud! Search the web for ideas, fix 'er up best you can and enjoy a pipe you had a hand in making useful again. Good for you sir!

waznyf

Apr 24, 2012
Texas
Spud,
I'd be happy to take your pipe into the shop that I work in, pay the shipping, and do all I can to restore it. Of course this would be done outside of work hours. While this pipe may appear to be "ruined", I've been told to not let that first impression determine anything. You've been offered a free Savinelli. What a gracious offer it is, and if I were you I'd be honored to receive it into my collection.

I don't believe that this pipe has seen its end yet. Oh, did I forget to mention... Nice score!
-Frank

waznyf

Apr 24, 2012
Texas
If you'd like, I can also search my collection for a pipe that could use more love and send it as well. You seem to be a class act my friend. I hope to see you around the forum.
Happy Puffing,

Frank

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
That puts it into perspective then Spud if you already have 10 pipes or so, what about tobacco? Would you accept tobacco then? American's have it so good with tobacco I'm sure a lot of them would be willing to send you some.

Status
Not open for further replies.