PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
With all the cob threads lately, I thought I would bring up Dr Grabow. Any Grabow fans out there?
I find mine excellent smokers, with wide open draws, consistent engineering, and a solid value. Far superior to any other pipe I have smoked in this price range ($30-$35). And frankly, the equal or better of several pipes in the $80-$100 range I have smoked.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I have two, and while I am glad to have bought them, I can't say they have really captured my heart.
I have a Grand Duke Apple and a Viscount - both straight estate pipes.
I think I would like to try an Omega but there is more demand for them on the Bay because of the military mount and the Petersonesque appearance...

colorduke

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 5, 2011
100+ not a bad smoker in my collection,of course other's will bitch and say there junk and you can do better.If it wasn't for Grabow and Medico and others, millions of men may never have taken up pipesmoking, Grabow makes a good pipe for the money and still keeps people working in the USA.

juvat270

Aug 1, 2011
I have a couple of Grabows that are really good pipes considering how much I paid for them and one that is complete crap.
The crappy one had a loose stem from the get go and the draft hole was so badly drilled that its almost on the side of the bowl (If look straight down into the bowl with the stem at the 12 o'clock position the draft hole is at 11 o'clock). Also, if you look down the shank where the draft hole should be, its solid wood, just to give you an idea of how badly it was drilled.
How that pipe ever passed the QA inspector (or the even the guy who drilled it) is beyond me. I kept it as an oddity. :lol:

gwynclan

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2012
I like my free hand grabows, lots if fills but good smokers. Use either these or cobs in the car.

cheers

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Yeah,I kinda like them. Here's about half of my Grabows.

skyliner-4-24-12-2012-04-24-003-1024x768-600x450.jpg

shawn

Jan 1, 2012
Ejames, that is a super cool collection you have there Sir!

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
I love my Royal Duke. I have a Grand Duke which is OK, but the chamber is a bit large for my tastes. OK if I want to watch a long movie or read for a good long while with something fairly one-dimensional in it. I want to get another Royal Duke, but my local B&M is out and I want to see my pipe before I buy it because of mis-driled holes and such.
I got a Bjarne Viking (basically the low-end/ basket line) a few years ago, and my Grabows put it to shame. I have been toying with the idea of opening the draw a bit on it, though so it may be salvageable.
-Jason

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Very cool, is it glass enclosed? Keeping it clean from dust would be major undertaking [;)]
No it is not enclosed. This display is one you might have seen in a store 30 years ago. They were made by a division of Sparta Pipes( DR. G.) called Spartacraft,in the same factory where the pipes are made. I run a "Swiffer" over it now and then.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
That's awesome Ed!
Personally I have had only 2 new Grabows. The first pipe I ever bought and I hated it: smoked wet and hot and I have it away. The second is a small rusticated bent something that starts with "V" I just got from my daughter for my birthday. Totally not my style of pipe but it smokes great and I love it. Being a precious gift might make it a little better than it is but it's drilled well and no gurgling if the such, and not even really broken it yet! :lol:

joshwolftree

I have two savoys the larger of them is a great smoker, one of my first pipes and still a cherished regular in my rotation.

The smaller I have decided is going to be an Experimental Pipe. The draft holes a little off, hard to pass a cleaner due to the thin airway. Eventually I'll be motivated to either widen it up and try to expand the draft hole down and right to get it in the right place or drill holes in her till she isn't good for anything but campfire fuel

rayje589

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2012
I've been toying with the idea of getting a grabow. This thread may have convinced me to get one.

Status
Not open for further replies.