PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
So, I didn't have to start smoking with a rack full of Sbangs? Damn... ha ha. Good point sable.
Still haven't bought even one of those. Pretty, but from all I've read about them from users, not any better than a pipe at a fraction of the cost. I have other favorites to waste money on.
But, my comment was aimed more generally. I buy a lot of things second hand, the computer I'm using is nearly 12 years old and works great, the car I drive is 14 years old and runs great, my KitchenAid fridge is ancient and just keeps working. Things that are well made and durable often prove to be the bargain in the long run.

I tend to use things until they wear out and then replace. If someone likes to have the latest and greatest, swap out the car, wife, or girlfriend every year or two then none of this matters.

whsergent

Can't Leave
Jan 8, 2020
The pipes i smoke most often cost less than 100 USD. Sometimes much less.
I have bought lots of estate pipes for one particular item, then discovered a nice suprise or two among the rest.

Reactions: peregrinus

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
My approaches to acquiring things:
  • I'm too poor to buy crap.
  • I'm too patriotic to buy Chinese.
  • When you buy cheap you pay for it many times over.
  • You get what you pay for.
  • After a certain point, though, you stop paying for quality and start paying for luxury (not that luxury is bad—if you have the means, go for it: what's the point of being rich if you can't buy what others can't have?)
  • Last, but not least: there are three kinds of things: things you need, things that would be nice to have, and things that are an absolute waste of money.

That's more or less how I evaluate my purchases.

Reactions: Casual and a3zname

a3zname

Lurker
Nov 12, 2019
Israel
Don't take the "cheap is more expensive" adage too literally. I think it is a good principle in two ways, then I'll explain why it isn't in other ways. First, it is a good rationale when you finally decide to spend more than you intended, when you feel the better item would serve you better or please you more, and that's okay. Second, sometimes it guides you away from truly shoddy items toward something that might be moderately priced but is visibly better, and that's the best usage of the saying. However, if you are just using it to justify a splurge, you need to confess that. You want to spend the eight hundred dollars on the pipe and you are willing to take the loss -- but it's not some morsel of wisdom from the ages inspiring your business sense. You splurge, you splurge, own up to it. I'm not a high-price-pipe guy. I have a few treasured up-market pipes, so I know what they are, and I enjoy them thoroughly. However, a lot of my sport in pipe buying is doing enough research and having enough patience to get some excellent smokers at breathtaking low prices. Sometimes I goof up, but not too often. And I sure don't urge new pipe smokers to spend hundreds of dollars on a first pipe they might use for two weeks. You can get into the pipe smoking activity for about sixty bucks including accessories, tobacco, pipe cleaners, a tamper, and etc.,including a a good briar pipe that smokes well and will last your lifetime, and less than that if you start with a cob. So don't snow me with highfalutin talk; in those instances, I know you're wrong from extended life experience. Said the crotchety old guy.

Well! Sir, Thank you.
I do appreciate the time you took on commenting with a deep understanding.
The reason Im writing this post is because that is the only place i can come in contact with fellow hobbyists who can share the feeling, like AA gathering if i can say that.
I do not buy pipes at that range, nor have the budget to. BUT i do tend to slid me eyes on in the same manner as i described. I have read plenty of discussions here about people pondering the value vs money comparisons and where is the golden spot - knowing there is not absolute answer nor will ever be.
i hope there are no hard feelings please, if i got you wrong then im sorry!

Greetings! Where do you hail from?

"Do you prefer less pipes but expensive ones, or more pipes but cheaper?"

Yes! :) Fewer in general. Though now with around 100 pipes, I look for something I don't have, damn the price.

Welcome from the Central Coast of California!

You can put your location in your Profile, which will save questions in the future as to where you live should you mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos of surroundings, and so forth.
Israel!
I will, thank you for your tips!

View attachment 17572

My work truck, it'll haul about 2000 lbs of sheetrock.. Its cheap and good. 250k miles, paid 1500. I'm sure it will last another 100k but, if it doesn't I got my moneys worth long ago. Way cheaper than a truck payment even if i have to buy one a year, and belive me I don't.
I think you are settled in the transport department apocalypse-wise ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.