On Thanksgiving Day, I will Not Be Happy!!!!!!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Actually, tofurkey is not that bad.
My wife is vegetarian so I always cook a vegetarian feast for her on T-Day.
Good luck, Indiana. Its only one day.

mephistopheles

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 14, 2014
I'm in the same boat as you, Indiana. I'll be wishing for a meteor to hit the house on Thanksgiving and Christmas. :evil:
My extended family is a bunch of uneducated turds when it comes to history, philosophy, economics, religion, literature, and politics. Hell, my grandmother who seems to support complete tyrannical rule can't go 5 minutes without pestering me with a relentless spirit about hot button issues that she surely does not understand. I have to sit quietly at every single last family gathering just staring at the table because the moment I open my mouth the imbecile circus gangs up on me.
I was recently given a flask that my best friend had laser inscribed for me with the phrase "For Holidays & Sanity" so I'll do a toast for you and me and anybody else dealing with uncomfortable or just plain sad family holidays. You aren't alone!

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
I hope things go well for you. Enjoy the little ones, they're only little for so long. This makes me glad that I only have 2 days off for Christmas, because my wife wanted to go to her parents' house. 2 days off would not allow for that to happen. I told her to take the kids and go without me, but she refused.
Makes me wonder if my wife feels the same way about MY parents staying with us for Thanksgiving weekend...
I used to think that the key to any good relationship was communication. But my wife gets mad at me when I'm honest on how I feel about her family. She can't see the forest for the trees, or maybe it's me outside the box looking in.
Good luck in the upcoming months to everybody! I'm sure that most of us will be spending time with some people that we don't really want to.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
Use it as a training exercise on how to keep your cool with obnoxious people (a good skill as most people are pretty obnoxious these days). Just be "warmly cool" smile, be friendly and cheerful, but don't engage. Use phrases like "Uh huh", "Is that so", "Isn't that interesting". And when they lay out the obvious bait for you , have another drink of wine. Play with the grandkid, take a book ( a Maigret novel should fill the time).
As for the crappy food situation...sorry buddy, there's is no mitigating that hurt.

n240sxguy

Lurker
Sep 21, 2014
I'm working thanksgiving day. That's probably the thing that I'm most thankful for. Time and a half, plus holiday pay, and a short thanksgiving diner when I get home. Perfect.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
Yea I have a brother inlaw who is an obnoxious, abusive, F bomb dropping A hole.. I just avoid his conversations and drift to the other room. I focus on the kids.

seagullplayer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 30, 2014
Indiana
No FOOTBALL!
How can you have a traditional Thanksgiving afternoon without football?
In my 25 years of marriage I have had to endure a lot of uncomfortable situations with the outlaws, but

I would draw the line at no football. It has saved my sanity on several occasions, I can still recall watching the game in the basement of my wife's uncle, alone.
Somehow over the years we have been drawn away from celebrating the day with her side of the family. I can't really recall just when that happened (prayer works). But we have celebrated with my side of the family for many years now. Me and my brothers now watch football on his big screen while the wife's plan the weekends shopping.
Enjoy the time with your granddaughter. You might consider a headset and radio for the game...

Status
Not open for further replies.