PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerseysam

Can't Leave
Mar 24, 2019
Liberty Township. OH
No matter how often I re-learn this lesson, whether spirits, tobacco, or firearms (all the noblest of vices), there's certain products I've made up my mind will be just awful. No particular evidence, but c'mon you just know it's going to stink. And on some dark night, needing a diversion, I break down to try said horrible product just to prove how completely right my omnipotent sense of taste/enjoyment is....and I find "Oh, sh*t this is really good".
Triple whammy discovery really. I started off grabbing an un-smoked Nording rusticated free-hand job that has sat since January. The tenon was slightly miss-shaped with the draft hole mildly miss-aligned....when you see problems like that on a high-tech, very precise instrument that someone dug out of the ground and carved with an industrial lathe you just know it's going to suck. Probably give you three kinds of cancer on the first charring light. Oh.....smokes like a champ right out the gate. No-relights over two large bowls. Well, these chocolate blends have to stink though, right?.....
G&H : Bob's Chocolate Flake : Recent drop - Long smoked both rope and Lakeland product from G&H, never touched the CF. Ordered a pound from one retailer while re-stocking recently, a few tins from another. Cracked open a tin and laid a few pinches out to dry for thirty minutes. Outstanding tin note; not aromatic sweet but a dark baking coca on top of a spicy, mature flake aroma. Once fired up there's just a great interplay between the base tobacco and the mild casing.....just like the aroma it's not artificially sweet but lays on the initial taste like a Mexican mole. Cigars and pipe tobacco are different palate ranges to me, but this strikes me similar to the sweet/earth/red pepper of young Nicaraguan cigars. Maintained that flavor all the way through....not complex but solid in the profile it brought.
Two Friends : Chocolate English : Circa late 2016 8 oz can - Very different tin note than the BCF, but still appealing. A lighter cocoa/malt on top of Virginia citrus. I know all the cool kids have at least a decade on even their Lane Q-1 these days, but in my humble experience 2-3 years is typically enough to start to get a dark-fruit mellowness on a Virginia blend. The label stated there's a helping of latakia (being labeled an English)….but on aroma/inspection it must have been a fairly small pinch. An extremely light English at best, to me more of a seasoned Virginia blend. Nice, light coco 'pop' on draw followed by a well-behaved Virginia backbone. Not sure if pipping fresh would have delivered more hay, but the bowl held a solid citrus/mild tang note that had dark fruit peeking through at times. Mid-bowl it turned fantastically creamy...akin to a well-behaved Connecticut. Not complex, lighter on palate than the BCF, but a very enjoyable Virginia-forward blend with a malt-dry cocoa undertone.
All in all, shocked how well the cocoa notes played over two different blend profiles. I'll be reaching for more of both on a regular basis....really enjoyed them. For pipers out there that may have avoided some of the non-aromatic 'chocolate' blends, give a bowl a try some cool, dark night....it's a unique flavoring that may play better with tobacco than you think.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I reckon Bob's could be called 'Bob's cocoa flake' for the sake of flavour expectations. I love the stuff, although I do not smoke it frequently.

Now you have me wanting to try the two friends take!
Isaac

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
It turns out that chocolate plays well with all sorts of stuff you wouldn't expect.
On the surface, this sounds disgusting. In your mouth, it seems like the most natural thing in the world:
https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/113/86189/

aro222

Can't Leave
Mar 17, 2018
Toronto Ontario, Canada
I’m pretty deep on Bobs as well. Fantastic flake IMO.

I find that every time I smoke it, I want to binge on it for a few days. I crave it for a while. Must be the Lakeland’s ? Whatever it is, I really enjoy a bowl or 4

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Really making me drool fro a bowl of BCF right now. I reckon I know what my smoke at lunch is going to be. I'll just pull out about...this much...yeah, that should do it...well, maybe a touch more for a second bowl, just in case...yep, alright, I'm good to go. Gonna let that air out a bit and fill up a couple of bowls.
I have to buy more BCF. I only bought a couple ounces during one of the last drops at SP's just to try it out, but I like it pretty good.

wolflarsen

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2018
Fantastic write-up, jerseysam! Thanks for taking the time to put that together for our reading pleasure. I find Bob's to be fantastic with a few years of age but the Sam Gawith version to be superior when fresh off the truck. The Two Friends wasn't even on my radar ... until now. Another new blend to try! We're very fortunate to be living in a time with so many options to explore. Life is good. Puff on.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Food stuffs don't reel me in like alcoholic beverage flavorings, but I get the idea. Nice post(s).

jrbjr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2019
Funny, I also really enjoy BCF. I have tried several of the GH blends, even the ennerdale, which really does not smell very good to me. BUT I have really enjoyed all of them but Kendall Mixture. I have many in jars and I usually go from one to another on a Saturday.
Question, I only use one pipe as I was warned about "ghosting" of the lakeland essence. Is this true or a myth?
Thanks

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I understand Lakeland aromatics flavorings remain in pipes, some for a good while. If you're particular in that way, and many or most are, designate pipes for Lakeland aromatics.

jaygreen55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2015
I used to smoke McClelland chocolate cream to which I added some blending latakia and a touch of perique (a proportion of 75-20-5) and loved it. I wanted to try a 2 oz tin of English chocolate but all SPC had was the 8oz tin so I said what the hell and bought it. It was OK but something about it didn't agree with me and gave me terrible dry mouth (perhaps the Virginia) I took 2oz of it and mixed in 1oz of a vanilla black cav (Wilke Metowee). What a difference! It's a mixture that will become part of my regular rotation

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Great post brother. I agree with your assessment! Thankfully, BCF is fully stocked in my cellar and I no longer need to chase it. I love the stuff and couldn't live without it.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Great write-up, sam! Welcome, too, BTW!
As much of a fan of aros as I am (certain ones particularly), I've never had anything either for/against chocolate blends; just never much bothered with them either way. BCF, though, is good; I've not tried the Two Friends, so can't opine on that one. Hey, wolf, you wanna go halfsies on some? :)
I'll probably keep the BCF on my shelf for a bowl every now & then. I probably won't actively seek out any others, though. Too much of a temptation to smoke them inside, which IS one of my main avoidances!
Bill

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Another way to go at this, just eat a chocolate brownie with any of your non-chocolate blends. Maybe some chocolate milk with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.