PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Ok, SO... I learned how people can bid stupid amounts on ebay today...
I bid a healthy $802 for the unsmoked Charatan Supreme that was from the George Sidney estate today with 10 seconds left. It wasn't high bid. There was a button to bid $867 and I thought, "Hell, why not!?" I quickly hit the button. There was like 6 seconds left. In that time, the fucking button shifted to $1575. I hit it out of pure lack of reflex control. HOLY SHIT. I am so glad I didn't win with that bid. I would be divorcing forthwith...
LoL. But THAT is how some fool can bid too much on a damned pipe.
In other news, I did get one of the Barlings really reasonable! Yaay me!!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Your button finger gets that, "Oh Hell No!", impulse and clicks the button. Been there, and it scares the shit out of you!

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Thanks! It was an emotional time. That was 2.5 times more than I've ever bid on anything on ebay, let alone a pipe. lol

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Congratulations on your win! Which pipe did you buy?
At the last minute I decided not to bid on the Quaint. I looked at it and realized that I already own better and who knows what the condition really is in the chamber. Of course, the joke's on me, it went for less than I would have expected. I have other uses for the cash right now.
$1575 for a cased unsmoked Pre-Lane Charatan Supreme isn't ridiculous by any means in the collector's market. That pipe is about as rare as it gets. One would have to find a cased set of unsmoked Charatan Underboars to beat it.
It's easy to get caught up in the moment. I went and washed the bathroom floor rather than watch the auction. I'm an addict and I know it.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
This is the one that I almost died on.
s-l1600.jpg

So Pretty...

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
And SOMEHOW, I won this even though it said I didn't!! odd....
s-l1600.jpg

To be honest, I think it may have better grain than the unsmoked one. lol.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Got your PM. Congratulations of the M Landaw. You did better than you know. Not only did you get that pipe for a song, but the pencil shanked, thick walled pots are the best damned smoking machines that Barling made, and for my money, about as good as it gets for Brit wood. I don't know what it is about them, but just about anything I put in them tastes and smokes great, often better than in my other Barlings.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
That's a gorgeous pipe!!
I often have to keep all bidding devices away from me. I drop a bid and move on. Painful at times, but I know how Tourette's finger works. Hard lessons.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Sable, I know how you feel about the Quaint. I passed on several pipes from this seller in an effort to win what I deemed the picks of the litter. The ones I let go ended up bargains, and those I tried for soared out of reach. Wyfbane got one of those bargains, and Sable speaks truth about that shape.
I was surprised by that Dunhill Bruyere with the "Geek Wynn" band. I thought that big band would anchor that price to the low end.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Those are great pipes! I've been there before in the holy shit moment on eBay, thankfully I lost most of them. :puffy:

tinsel

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
the fucking button shifted to $1575. I hit it out of pure lack of reflex control. HOLY SHIT.
... and right about THEN would have been the time that I ruined my underwear, pants, chair, and socks and carpet all at once.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Wyfbane, you are not alone. I did the same on a Dunhill Unique lift arm petrol lighter in silver. Thank goodness I didn't win, although I wish that I had. Not. Keep telling myself that. Right.
Beautiful winnings, though. Can't wait to see the restorations.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I am so excited to get that Barling now! I thank you, Jesse. You really are the bees knees. Can't wait to clean it up and smoke it!
That Supreme is pretty awesome too. I think it went cheap because of the shape. I think it's pre-Lane, so I am pretty happy with the acquisition.
:puffpipe:

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Dan, You are so right. I have found in this year leading up to my 5th anniversary of pipe smoking that I could have likely bought more than I have. Would my wife have divorced me for this at $1575? No. I would have been in the doghouse, sold a bunch of stuff, and been fine. The thought of spending that much is what freaked me out. I have found that unless the thing has char damage or spider webbing, I am pretty happy overall with all my pipe purchases.
I have also found that I have deep remorse from selling any of my pipes. That is what has limited my buying more than anything: the fact that I don't see me EVER selling them once they are mine. So you are right. I am telling myself that I didn't want that pipe for $1575, but in fact I would be a proud papa if I had won it. Though I definately would have been happier to have gotten it for $867.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
wyfbane, I make my mind up in advance how much I am willing to pay for the pipe. That is what it is worth to me. That includes maybe going over a little bit for cushion to be sure I get it. Then I watch the bidding and hope some jerk isn't bidding it through the roof and if not, in the last 5 seconds I place my bid so that it goes through with too little time left for anyone to respond. My best bid goes in as the clock counts to zero. If I won the bid, I got my pipe, if I lose, then someone wanted the pipe more than me. Either way, I never pay more than I think the pipe is worth, and hopefully, not near what my highest bid was.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
That bottom pipe is something else! I decide what I want to spend and am done. If I watch it or bid like that I can easily get caught up in the moment. So I stopped.

Status
Not open for further replies.