PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

puffdoggie

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2013
Anybody try the new Ole Shenandoah Barrel No. 76 from P&C? It's on special 2 for 1 for $6.95. It sounds interresting. Just wondering if anyone has an opinion on it yet? Thanx, Happy puffin',
Dave

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Ordered 6 tins last night! Can't wait to try. I was wondering am I going to get 12 tins, or did they just cut the price in half?

jmill208

Lifer
Dec 8, 2013
Maryland USA
No, apparently if you use the site search bar, it does not offer the BOGO (2) pack. I clicked on the promotion from the email, left the page then searched...resulting in me purchasing it from the main site, not the promotion. So..I suppose I am to blame, a bit confusing and misleading on their part maybe...BUT:
I bought two, I felt I should get two free. And I will.

After a phone call P&C is making good on the offer. Good customer service after all.
All's well that ends well!

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Got mine the other day and the description is pretty dead on. Very 1-Q, RLP-ish. But just alittle better. Seems like a good quality tobacco that did need just alittle drying out, smooth no bite. Sorry guys not much of a reviewer, but it's good. I went to get some more and they are all sold out.

jmill208

Lifer
Dec 8, 2013
Maryland USA
I haven't cracked a tin yet. I have way too many tins open to even consider it at this point. Hopefully it'll prove to be a solid smoke.

puffdoggie

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2013
Here's the review. This is my first review so please be gentle.
Ole Shenandoah Barrel No. 76
Blend of Burley & Cavendish By Pipes & Cigars.com, Russ Oulette?
The blender’s description - Imagine a blend of warm butter with just a hint of vanilla and honey, then add sweet nutty overtones to round out the flavor.
My pipe was a new grab bag cob. I like to use a fresh, cheap cob when trying a new blend.
Tin Note – A pleasant earthy note with the mild promise of something else on the sweeter side. I found it was ready to smoke right out of the tin w/o drying out.
With the char light I get a full but mild tobacco taste w/o a hint of the Cavendish. The Burley asserts itself right away but it is a mild tobacco taste, not an overwhelming taste of a stronger Burley , Latakia or Perique. If the stronger flavor is what you are looking for, stop right now and go smoke your favorite Lat bomb or Perique blend. To my tongue the Burley is a mild but nice tobacco flavor.
On the true light there is still a full Burley tobacco taste with “something” in the background. As you smoke the first half of the bowl the Cavendish then comes into play as the smoke rolls around your mouth. It imparts a mild background sweetness. It in no way asserts itself into the puff but rather as an aftertaste as you blow the smoke out.
Midway through the bowl the flavor settles down into a mild and pleasant smoke with Cavendish continuing to impart the hint of sweetness. Honey & vanilla? I’m not sure about the honey but the sweetness does remind me of a very low hint of vanilla. It is very smooth and pleasant.
At the bottom I was able to smoke the bowl all the way to ash without getting tongue bite. In fact, in order to get anything like a hot bowl or anything approaching tongue bite I had to consciously puff too fast and hard.
Conclusion – While I’m not sure of the nutty or honey flavors, this blend is a nice smooth smoke from the top to the bottom of the bowl. As I stated earlier this is a nice mild smoke so anyone looking for a full, strong tobacco experience should look elsewhere. I prefer mild smokes but usually prefer something with a slightly stronger, but still mild vanilla taste (4th Gen 1957 is my daily smoke). However, I can see me smoking this when I want a change of pace and need a more tobacco tasting flavor.
Bonus coverage – I then compared Barrel No. 76 to Lane 1Q. They are indeed very similar and my review of 1Q would be almost identical to my review above. BUT…..Barrel No. 76 is Burley & Cavendish while 1Q throws some Virginia into the mix. The Virginia throws in another level of tobacco sweetness as opposed to an added flavoring. I could see anyone liking one blend liking the other as well. Both are very mild bite-free blends I would recommend to anyone looking for a mild “tobacco” tasting aromatic blend.

Status
Not open for further replies.