12 Fresh Dunhill Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I think of cobs as work pipes or "throw away" pipes that can take some abuse and get discarded, broken, or lost without much issue due to cost (albeit I only own two and never have tossed one).

For example, I take a cob on picnics or to the beach. That way I can enjoy a pipe and not worry about dropping or losing it, especially as I keep an eye on and run after my very active daughter.

However, cobs are also known to be somewhat durable (even if you strap it to a roof for 6 months like @mikethompson ).

What is the oldest cob some members have in regular use? How old is the pipe and what does it look like now? As @didimauw pointed out once (I believe), cobs tend to change color over time like a meerschaum pipe, which I find fascinating.

Sgetz

Lifer
May 21, 2020
UK
I bought one in Milan (I dropped my cycling pipe ànd it broke?) 15 years ago. Still going strong. But I don't smoke much and have many pipes.

• Wow
Reactions: kurtbob and JOHN72

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I have at least 3 that I still smoke that I bought in 2009, so that’s 13 years and going. I don’t treat these like briar so they probably would have faired even better if I did. Some have loose stems, I just apply little beeswax in there to tighten them up.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada

daberman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 4, 2021
Atlanta, GA
I smoke three or so all day long for over a decade, only one I’ve lost was one I poked a hole through the bottom being too aggressive with a czech tool. They were bred to be smoked!

Reactions: kurtbob

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
In the last few months, I picked up two vintage cobs from circa 1970’s. One MM Diamond and a H&B Irwin S Cobb. They are in great shape; I smoke them 3-4 times a month.
I’ve owned two Buescher's cobs for over 15 years.
image.jpg

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
Have 2 that are over 8yrs old. They are in my pipe rotation of 5 MM cobs at work. Get smoked 5 days a week. Can confirm on the color change. The bowls are dark brown and are much heavier than all other cobs. I assume that’s from absorbing tars and moisture over the years.