PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

clynch

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2013
Pensacola Florida
I've read many posts in the last half year and I'm left with the general thought, "older tobacco taste better". Common to see something that aged for many years is fabulous. Something that aged for a couple years is better than new.
I don't have a cellar. I have an ever increasing rotation of about 15 tins. I have never jarred a tin yet. Still trying all the tobacco looking for "My God Blend". Generally speaking, I like em all.
Capstan Blue Navy Flake is something that has always stood out to me. Fresh from the tin, Its a pungent grassy Virginia tin note that I find entrancing beyond some others. As time progressed (6 months) its gotten drier. Less pungent in the tin. It also smokes easier, stays lit. Two days ago I let some flake dry out over night. It was crispy in the morning. Smoked easily. Nice tobacco.
My point, I LIKE it fresh and moist out of the tin. Extremely pungent, regardless of relights needed. All good, each and every tobacco but I prefer the Fresh moist aroma of a new tin. I will let it dry out for 30 minutes or so but I like it fresh. Perhaps my opinion will change if I cellar something for many years. I'd probably smoke it up before it got that old.
Just my opinion.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
It's all subjective. Old tobacco isn't necessarily better but many claim its different. I really don't notice much change in a new tobacco versus its 20 year old counterpart. I cellar to get to a point to where I'll have tobacco when it gets to a time when it's too expensive for me to justify the cost. Once all tobacco gets above $5/ounce, I'll never buy more and the only aging that happens in my cellar does so simply because I haven't smoked it yet.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
it's individual. My take is very different from yours, not so much about aging "improving" tobaccos because it only changes them and not all of them and not to the same extent, but about liking blends and stocking up. I like about 15% of the blends that I try, so I stock those against price increases and sudden disappearances. Cellaring is at best a mixed bag. But every time I get to smoke a favorite blend that has been discontinued I'm happy that I stocked up.
That you're happy with what you're doing is the key thing. Your view regarding tobaccos worked for me until it didn't and now I enjoy my tobaccos in a different way.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
We like what we like and apologize to no one for your tastes. When I first tried Capstan Blue Flake I loved it straight out of the tin with no age. I decided that I could smoke this stuff forever and age would make it better for my tastes. I have seen favorites get discontinued so I didn't mess around. I want to be able to smoke this stuff 20 years from now. Just because it is around and easy to get right now, it means nothing. It could sell out and never get made again.

I refuse to lose out on a great blend so I bought over 150 tins of it. Besides the benefits of age to my tastes I will never have to worry about it being discontinued.

If my favorite blends were guaranteed to be available with the same great tastes I would never buy that many but no one is guaranteeing me anything.

The last 4 blends that I really enjoy that were discontinued, I had loaded up on and I have no worries about running out.

Dec 11, 2021
Fort Collins, CO
There’s gotta be SOMETHING to it though, right? These old tins online sell for stupid money. I have a hard time believing it’s ALL power of suggestion making people lose their minds over old tins.

I’m building up a cellar partially because I believe it will “improve” with age. But I mostly buy more than I’ll smoke because I tend to lean slightly “prepper”. I get nervous if the TP in the hall closet is less than a full shelf. So when TP ran out a few years ago, we were set. I’m like that with ammo, canned goods, etc. Guess I just like to be prepared!

clynch

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2013
Pensacola Florida
I do see the need for a cellar. Many reasons. Perhaps when I find THE blend I'll cellar it. First things first for me. If I am still smoking a pipe two years from now, I'm beyond hobby
We like what we like and apologize to no one for your tastes. When I first tried Capstan Blue Flake I loved it straight out of the tin with no age. I decided that I could smoke this stuff forever and age would make it better for my tastes. I have seen favorites get discontinued so I didn't mess around. I want to be able to smoke this stuff 20 years from now. Just because it is around and easy to get right now, it means nothing. It could sell out and never get made again.

I refuse to lose out on a great blend so I bought over 150 tins of it. Besides the benefits of age to my tastes I will never have to worry about it being discontinued.

If my favorite blends were guaranteed to be available with the same great tastes I would never buy that many but no one is guaranteeing me anything.

The last 4 blends that I really enjoy that were discontinued, I had loaded up on and I have no worries about running out.
Anything aged will mature and change. Did your aged capstan go less pungent when opened?

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
Cellaring is a comparatively recent trend in pipe smoking. I don't remember anyone talking about it in the 90's when I started pipe smoking. My uncles and grandfather were pipe enthusiasts all their lives and never cellared a single tin.

GL Pease is really the guy who popularized the idea when he started blogging about it on his website but even then it was mostly just something fun for experimenters and home blenders. People didn't really started hoarding and cellaring in earnest until tobacco taxes started going crazy and tobacco companies started drying up.

clynch

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2013
Pensacola Florida
Cellaring is a comparatively recent trend in pipe smoking. I don't remember anyone talking about it in the 90's when I started pipe smoking. My uncles and grandfather were pipe enthusiasts all their lives and never cellared a single tin.

GL Pease is really the guy who popularized the idea when he started blogging about it on his website but even then it was mostly just something fun for experimenters and home blenders. People didn't really started hoarding and cellaring in earnest until tobacco taxes started going crazy and tobacco companies started drying up.
This makes good sense. I can see the escalation and I see it getting worse.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Some tobaccos age extremely well and some just age.

Peter Stokkebye Luxury Twist Flake went from tasting like dog vomit after he ate apple infused shit. To being aged 7 years and absolutely fantastic

I love Capstan Blue. From fresh to aged.

But here’s the thing, any blend you buy an excess of (involuntary cellar) will start changing from day one.

The trick is just enjoy the pipe and the process.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
How much 2/5/10 year old Capstan Blue have you smoked to allow you to make an educated comparison? I find Capstan Blue a bit harsh and rough around the edges when is fresh. I can't think of a single Virginia, VaPer or VaOr blend I've tested that didn't improve with age. I even like aged English blends but I could see how a latakia freak may feel differently.

I'm just speaking for me having had more than a little experience smoking fresh and aged. Closely, it's a subjective thing and as long as you're not asking me to buy it for you, I don't care what you smoke.