PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

rockynrobyn

Lurker
Jun 26, 2018
Hi everyone. While I await my order in the mail, I’m stuck smoking OTC blends. I like captain black, but I’m curious about Old Port pipe tobacco. Has anyone her ever tried it? If so, how does it compare to captain black Royal? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
I smoked Old Port many years ago and can't really remember how it tasted. I've got some jarred but it must be thirty years old now and the taste wouldn't be something to go by compared to new. I do recall that it was an enjoyable smoke back then. Give it a try :puffy:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't know as I've ever heard of or seen Old Port pipe tobacco. Who carries it? Why don't the online retailers who carry all of the other OTC's? I'm mystified. What is this stuff? What's the base leaf? Is it aromatic or non-? I doubt I'd want to try it, but I'd like to know a little more, out of curiosity.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
Looks to be a Canadian thing. Never seen or heard of this one before
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/3534/scandinavian-tobacco-group-stg-old-port

rockynrobyn

Lurker
Jun 26, 2018
@mso489 I’m not 100% sure about this but I think it may only be available in Canada. Like I said, I could be wrong about that, but if you’re familiar with colts cigars, I believe they are made by the same company. I believe it is a burley aromatic with rum and wine. Here’s a link to a review I just found: http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/3534/scandinavian-tobacco-group-stg-old-port

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Interesting. Thank you for the link. STG does blends targeted only to specific markets. I thought they marketed most blends internationally for an economy of scale, but apparently not. Live and learn.

P

pipebuddy

I think it is only meant for the Canadian market as it used to be manufactured since 1927 by the Old Port company located in Montréal until STG purchased the company.

Is it even still allowed in Canada after the stupid no flavoring agents of 2016? I have smoked several pouches of it. It was one of my favorite OTCs. Pouch aroma is great and it's pretty decent. I would still buy it if some were available.

canadianpuffer

Can't Leave
Oct 8, 2017
I haven’t seen it about, but I also wasn’t looking. I’ll keep an eye out, but with pouches about $30 I’m not sure I’ll pull the trigger.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
As far as I know, this was an exclusively Canadian blend. There was also an Old Port line of flavoured cigarillos.
I wouldn't trust that Walper site as proof that Old Port is still in production as they have also listed Sail tobaccos, which are definitely discontinued.
As pipebuddy stated, Canada instituted a tobacco flavouring ban a few years ago that I think would have killed off aromatic blends like this one, but I could be mistaken.
I was always aware of this one from Tobacco Reviews as the port/wine flavour was once interesting to me on paper but I haven't smoked an aromatic in many years so it's a moot point now.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Not sure I agree with your policework, Simenon.
https://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/sail/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=45001
Anyway, yeah old port pipe tobacco is a half-decent tasting aromatic, not a black cavendish base like danish aros, more like a dutch cavendish, a little spicy, probably some burly. It's a little cardboardy. Tastes like the little cigars we used to get up here (probably still can) called "Colts".

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I have no doubts about my methods but of course I cannot guarantee the truth of all sources I've encountered. I have read in numerous threads and tobacco reviews that Sail was discontinued.
One of the more authentic looking sources I saw:
https://www.pipesandcigars.com/shop/end-of-an-era/1800839/?v=5000
This thread references a P&C catalog which was likely based upon the same information.
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/what-is-up-with-dutch-cavendish
Perhaps the line was just reduced as I see there are only 2 blends listed now and Sail Natural is nowhere to be found. They could also be selling old stock. I really can't say for sure without contacting the company.
As you can see from the link below, Colts were also made by STG in Canada - I believe Colts and Old Port were the leading mini tipped cigars besides Captain Black. So there is a good reason for the similarities!
https://www.st-group.com/en/careers/our-locations/canada#start
"The Canadian company offers a portfolio of cigar brands comprising Colts, Old Port, CAO, Café Crème and White Owl, as well as the Old Port, Sail and Erinmore pipe tobacco brands.
STG Canada was previously called Old Port & Colts Cigar Company. Scandinavian Tobacco Group acquired the Canadian business in 2000 when Imperial Tobacco Canada sold off its cigar activities."
To be honest, I didn't inquire any further after I saw Sail removed from my online retailer of choice and the reviews showing Sail Natural being discontinued so it could have been a mistake on my part to say they were gone.
Regardless of Sail's status, I don't think anyone will find many sources for Old Port tobacco in the US.

Jun 2, 2018
Just bought a small pipe and it came with a tin of old port. No idea how old the tin is. When i smoke some i will let you sll know. Had to rehydrate it a bit.

canadianpuffer

Can't Leave
Oct 8, 2017
An interesting tid bit on the flavour ban - I was at a b&m and saw they had “port” flavoured backwoods cigars in a bright purple pouch. The owners said they were grape and the name change was done for a loophole. But with plain packaging coming Sept 6th I’m sure it will hurt whatever blends are left here.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Thanks for the info, canadianpuffer.
I think alcohol flavourings such as port or rum were grandfathered back in the day but I thought all that was wiped out with the last flavouring ban. I find it very hard to keep track of...
Between flavour bans and plain packaging and constant tax increases, I can't imagine any specialty tobacco surviving in Canada. There will be nothing left except for standard cigarettes.
Even high end cigars will be subjected to plain packaging rules so I'm sure the number of available brands will plummet and also authenticity will become very hard to prove!

Status
Not open for further replies.