PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
Whoa, whoa, whoa! Let's not get crazy with it. I tell you what, send me your pipe collections. I'll keep them in protective custody in case you want them back one day. :wink:

:rofl:
I'm not wise beyond my years. My collection will likely continue to *ulp!* grow.

colorduke

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 5, 2011
I was at our Social club last evening,and they allow smoking in the back room during the winter months,as I was sitting there smoking my pipe old Snookie was smoking his MM Ozark as usual. When he sat his pipe down I looked at it and noticed there's a good quarter inch missing off the top of the bowl from smoking it everyday all day.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Wow Mortonbriar, 12 years on one belt? I usually get one or two years before they rip. I bought a new one a few months ago, because the one I have now is starting to go. But I refuse to use the new one till I need too. I have never thought about repairing it! Pictures? :puffpipe:

stickframer

Apr 11, 2015
This thread is great. And inspiring.
I've also got more than 10 years out of my leather belt. Way more. It cost about 35 bucks and is still 100% original. :lol:

seagullplayer

Jan 30, 2014
Indiana
You don't see many pictures of a pipe like than on these forums.
It makes some of the stuff we do a lot harder to justify.
I love it.
Wonder what he thought of the tobacco you traded him for the pic?

aimlesswanderer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 25, 2016
You don't see many pictures of a pipe like than on these forums.
It makes some of the stuff we do a lot harder to justify.
I find it very reassuring. When you're a tight budget smoker, or simply not as extravagant in your purchasing as others, it can give you the feeling you're missing out or somehow not doing it "properly". When you see things like this, it takes you back to the inherrent simplicity of the pipe, and back to the way things were. The "problem" with social media environments, is that these humble, simple, approaches don't get covered. By this I mean the people who just use the same pipes, whack in the same blend or two, and merrily go about their day, don't feel the need to go online and discuss it. As a result, what is discussed kind of skips over the simplistic nature of the pipe. I don't mean that as any detriment of this forum or other online discussion, just a reflection that we don't cover the whole spectrum, because at one end of it, there's simply not a lot to be discussed. It's nice therefore to see a glimpse of that every now and again, and be reminded that the practices that get talked about online, aren't necessarily the norm.

swhipple

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 2, 2011
Aimless: Love your post and agree with it whole heartedly!
Pipe smoking is one of those things we do that the only wrong way to do it is if you don't enjoy it.

coffinmaker

Can't Leave
Jan 20, 2016
@seagullplayer-- I may see this gent in a month, I'll find out. I traded some Rest of the Best, Northwoods, Penhooker Regular and Scotty's Butterscotch Burley.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Yes coffinmaker, you need to find out more about this guy, and his pipe smoking past! I'm assuming you asked him what brand the pipe was, to no avail right? And I'm interested what he thought about the butternut burley, as that's one of my favorites.

Mar 1, 2014
Didimaw:

"Wow Mortonbriar, 12 years on one belt? I usually get one or two years before they rip. I bought a new one a few months ago, because the one I have now is starting to go. But I refuse to use the new one till I need too. I have never thought about repairing it! Pictures? :puffpipe: "
Two years? That must be some cardboard crap from the grocery store.
Get one of these: https://www.tandyleather.com/en/product/natural-cowhide-leather-belt-blanks

Pick an appropriate belt buckle: https://www.tandyleather.com/en/category/belt-buckles

Make it any color you want: https://www.tandyleather.com/en/product/fiebing-s-professional-oil-dye
You can make three belts that are infinitely superior to anything at any retail store for the same price as what they usually charge.
Keep it well oiled and just don't go swimming with it and it should last a lifetime.
I've made a collection of almost ten belts now, all shapes and sizes. My most outlandish belt is probably the one made of harness leather, strong enough to tow a truck with it, only problem is leather that thick doesn't fit through most belt loops.

Reactions: bluegrassbrian

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Interesting! I'm definitely going to purchase one of those!
I purchased a saddleback leather wallet 4 years ago, that has a 100 year warranty. It gets prettier every day.
So that belt would be right up my alley!
On another note, I'm glad I saved those pictures of that man and his pipe,(is that weird?) cause they are gone from the thread now.

Mar 1, 2014
I should probably add the keeper to the list of things to get for a complete belt, not everyone has scraps of leather sitting around.

https://www.tandyleather.com/en/product/natural-cowhide-belt-keepers
If you add a sealer it makes the belt more shiney: https://www.tandyleather.com/en/product/eco-flo-super-shene

Make sure to rub it in well, just brushing it on it usually flakes off, I suspect hand polishing would still be needed for a pure glassy finish.
Definitely wear latex gloves when handling any of this stuff (dye or finish), and note that your pants will take some of the dye for the first few weeks, I've never cared enough to figure out how to break it in without staining my clothes.

coffinmaker

Can't Leave
Jan 20, 2016
My computer crashed and I lost most of my photo. I wasn't smart enough to back up my photo files. A tech is going into my hard drive to try and find other things, I hope we can get some of my stuff back. So, at this point it is lost somewhere.

coffinmaker

Can't Leave
Jan 20, 2016
You are correct. This spring I will be taking a break from coffin building to tracking down some geezers with pipes. First stop is that original old gent.

5star

Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
Great pic
And you can just about bet, that if you gifted him a nice newer pipe without the crack & other character marks - he'd probably prefer his old pipe.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
It might be that you can retrieve your photos from Photofucket. I can't test as I am not a (former) customer and have no photos on their site.

Status
Not open for further replies.