PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pierre1965

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 6, 2020
I'm an army vet and a pipe smoker so when a co worker was cleaning out his mom's house and found a mail order catalog for the Army Airforce Exchange Service Europe from '71 - '72 he brought it in for me. I wonder what one of these tins would cost now. I thought you guys might enjoy a flashback.Studio_20210610_124201.jpg

Last edited:

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
I've seen those 1/4 pound Dunhill tins sell for $350+ on Pipestud and Ebay (Before tobac was taboo)........ I'd think a pristine set of those 3 Dunhill tins would bring $1200-$1500 to the right buyer in today's market......... crazy?, yes, ............. but makes one feel better about their cellar!.......... puffy

Aomalley27

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
The EMP would be the “cheapest”, around $300. $350-$400 for the nightcap tin; and a premium on the Apertif. At least that’s what they were going for at the last Chicago pipe Show.

Reactions: beefeater33

Aomalley27

Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
Those prices! ?
Yeah? Wish I were around then..... with foresight. Then again, wish I had loaded up on Murray’s era 965 when I had the chance. I remember buying 8(?) or 9 tins at Iwan Ries for 70% off retail. Could’ve had another 25-35 tins that were just sitting there. I remember thinking at the time “buy them all” but had second thoughts “will I really smoke them all?” And tempered my purchase. If ever I go back in time, I’ll hunt myself down, smack my younger self in the face and say “Of course you will dummy!”

Aomalley27

Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
:cry: Hey that’s what I pay for one tin in Oz..
Those munchkins have a strong union, what do you expect?????

I’d love to make it to the Simpson desert for some herping. So many goannas I wanna see up close. I used to breed Ackies, and had a pair of Kimmies; but would relish the opportunity to view a Perenty or a Lace up close. (We don’t have many in zoos in the US let alone private collections)

Reactions: timelord
Status
Not open for further replies.