PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwg116

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 21, 2017
They smoke well. You just need to pay a little more attention to the pipe while you smoke. In my experience they take a few bowls to break in. All of mine started out a little gritty. Also, he sells them with the coated mouthpiece. I prefer them because I don’t like the feeling of clay. Markus is a great guy.

Reactions: ofafeather

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
They smoke well. You just need to pay a little more attention to the pipe while you smoke. In my experience they take a few bowls to break in. All of mine started out a little gritty. Also, he sells them with the coated mouthpiece. I prefer them because I don’t like the feeling of clay. Markus is a great guy.
That's neat. TobaccoPipes is having 15% on pipes and accessories so I may pick one up. Any recommendations? I see some have separate stems that are not clay. Are all the clay stems coated or does it need to be specified? How's cleaning and maintenance? The old school "clean it in the fire" is probably not necessary, lol.

Reactions: kwg116

kwg116

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 21, 2017
That's neat. TobaccoPipes is having 15% on pipes and accessories so I may pick one up. Any recommendations? I see some have separate stems that are not clay. Are all the clay stems coated or does it need to be specified? How's cleaning and maintenance? The old school "clean it in the fire" is probably not necessary, lol.
I prefer the straight pipes. The few bents I have aren’t drilled exactly center ( but they still smoke well). In my experience, the ones with the vulcanite stems are very low quality vulcanite and they bother my lip. I think the stem coating is usually in a different color. But check with Tobacco pipes I’m sure they can look at the pipe and let you know. Good luck.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
I prefer the straight pipes. The few bents I have aren’t drilled exactly center ( but they still smoke well). In my experience, the ones with the vulcanite stems are very low quality vulcanite and they bother my lip. I think the stem coating is usually in a different color. But check with Tobacco pipes I’m sure they can look at the pipe and let you know. Good luck.
Right, I did see a few with red tips. They were all straight churchwarden style. Thanks for the suggestions!

Reactions: kwg116

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I have several clay pipes. I smoke them occasionally.

Actually, I probably have over 100 of the small ones in my basement. These are the ones we use for the blending seminar at the Chicago Pipe Show. They haven't been used at all. Thus, they will be used at the show, depending on if we have the seminar again. The show officers are working on the next show. More details will be posted as we make decisions.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I've never heard of anyone having to break in a clay pipe. I have more than 15 of them and just wipe out the bowl with a tissue before loading. I use mine for tasting blends I've never smoked before or when I just have about 15 minutes or less for a quick smoke.

Duke of Erinmore

Can't Leave
Jul 5, 2020
Bayreuth, Bavaria, Germany
I can recommend the Old German Clay Pipes. Not only from personal experience, but also: A few years ago my wife had a webshop for Renaissance/medieval stuff and resold them. Never had any complaints.

And the coolest thing about smoking clay pipes - if you happen to have a fireplace, no need to clean them, just throw them in the fire and they come out clean :col:

Status
Not open for further replies.