PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasongone

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 23, 2011
went to one of my local B&Ms last week to get some tobacco. while i was there i grabbed a few old beat up estate grabows to play with. this guy was in the super cheap no one likes me basket.

here is what he looked like when i found him...

dscn2623o.jpg

dscn2620n.jpg

dscn2616lxz.jpg

dscn2626h.jpg

dscn2612y.jpg

now he looks like this

dscn2778.jpg

dscn2772q.jpg

dscn2774v.jpg

dscn2776y.jpg

dscn2775u.jpg

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Awesome! It looks like you finally removed the excess material to bring the pipe to full life. Kinda like it was leading a false existence before you released it.
-Jason

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Excellent job Jason!

I have an old Dr. Grabow and it is one of my favorite smokers...

It's an adjustomatic as well, don't get any better than that.

:clap:

thekiltedchaplain

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 11, 2011
Very Nice, it's amazing how much more interesting a little well executed rustification can make a pipe.

ranger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 2, 2011
That pipe, (to my way of thinking), is so much better than many other posts I've seen wherein a persons life savings, or the need to almost mortgage the house was needed in order to purchase pipes?
Now this to me is a ... 'WOW'!

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Excellent work as always ! You could probably make some decent income doing these on the side if you can find enough estate pipes cheap. You've certainly turned this one into a nice pipe.

Not that anythings wrong with Grabows, they're great smokers, but I wouldnt give $2 for it before.

Not sure what I'd spend on it now, but I'd sure consider buying it at a decent price (if I was buying any more pipes!)

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
Watch out, that becomes as habit forming as PAD. next thing you know you'll have a whole room dedicated to pipe restoration like lots of folks I know. LOL

good job

jasongone

Mar 23, 2011
thanks all.

doc - it has already become pretty habit forming. my collection has about twenty of these revamped partially rusticated old pipes. it's gotten to the point that when i look at estate pipes i am looking for a way to do such a thing to it.

this guy was the most abused pipe i have ever personally gotten a hold of.

it looked like someone put it onto a sanding or grinding wheel. the sanding around the rim was very deep, and changed the bowl shape. the metal band was a little chewed up and textured from something, as well as a few chunk taken out of the stem. the pipe cost me $3.

i was very pleased that i was able to get the chunks smoothed out on the stem, and that the spade remained through it all. there is a very small spot behind the spade where you can see the chunk was removed.

and i used arthurs trick with the steel wool and oxy-clean on this one... worked brilliantly.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I have three of those Silver Duke dublins in rotation. Great smokers! Nice work! The guy that had that pipe before you shoulda been horse whipped!

jasongone

Mar 23, 2011
thanks ejames. i was curious what you would think of it.

i haven't smoked this guy yet, but i will be giving him a try soon.

also picked up another starfire (kind of a bigger dublin) and a royal duke.

the royal duke is naked right now the starfire has been rusticated and is currently going through it's first finsih sanding. i may trade one of these three when all is finished.

Status
Not open for further replies.