PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelmirza

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
old-dominion-corn-cob-pipes-slider.jpg

With four pipes in my collection already I think it's about time I get my first corn cob. I know Missouri Meerschaums are the staples, but I'm really drawn to the extra rustic-ness of Old Dominion cobs (as seen on The Pipe Guys). I guess for the price you can't go wrong, but I'm curious if anyone can weigh in on how they smoke compared to MMs. Side note: I've read that tobacco often tastes different in cobs, but I haven't discovered why yet. Curious about that too. Thanks!

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
I have 4 MM pipes, they smoke great, cool and dry. Tobacco smokes like a tobacco in them, in the beginning you may feel some taste from the cob itself though. I love Natural MM pipes for a better smoking experience.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I have two MM pipes. I also have an Old Dominion clay pipe. I enjoy both. Sorry, can't make a comparison.

michaelmirza

Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
I guess this fella tackled my exact question: https://youtu.be/ypVSbUd9I1Q?t=6m48s
Summary of his opinion: the Old Dominion ones give you less bang for the buck and don't smoke as well. Still, I find them more attractive than MMs, so I might go for at least the $5 one for a little tester/dessert pipe.

rfernand

Oct 2, 2015
Consider visiting aristocob.com - they have a few unique MM-based pipes, such as the Rusticobs. You get an extra set of eyes for QC, great prices, and fun looks.
I used to rely on cobs to try new tobacco only, but I now find that aromatics smoke great on cobs. Yum.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
At the price of the pipes I certainly wouldn't be swayed by one man's opinion. The reed bits do not look as though they lend themselves to handing from the mouth though. That's my preference so I wouldn't purchase one simply for that reason. That, and no one sells them in my part of the country so I can't fondle before buying. So, with two personal negatives I doubt I'd ever purchase a reed bit pipe. Keep in mind that this is just one man's opinion. And, it's free and most likely worth the price.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I smoke both, and recommend you pick up one of each when you can!

The OD reed is a bit awkward to clench, although so light that it does not really matter, I still mow the lawn with it stuck between my teeth just fine. OD has an old time charm when sitting on the shelf between smokes too.
MM is pretty foolproof, they have been at it for a few years (quite a few). I think overall my MM's smoke better than OD's but I only have two of each brand and mostly smoke briars.
Isaac

gogosamgo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2015
I've heard some people complain about the draw of OD pipes, but as others said before me, it's woth trying yourself since they are so cheap!

Dutch Pipe Smoker

(arno665)
Apr 3, 2013
The Netherlands
dutchpipesmoker.com
I have smoked both and in my opinion MM is superior. Cheaper, better build and a better smoke. The stem of my OD got loose after only 3 smokes! Some glue fixed that, but still.. However, I do like the looks of it. Makes me look like Popeye even more! :lol:

kaboom

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2012
I've only smoked MMs (and I love them, haven't gotten a bad one yet though i've had a couple of mouthpieses come loose, fixed with a little heat from a lighter) but i'd love to try one of those Old Dominions.

HOWEVER I have read a few horror stories online about the build quality and also about them burning out really, really quick... I tend to smoke pretty hot and haven't had an MM cob burn through yet...
Then again, at the price, i'd probably bite the bullet. Heck, I would almost in all certainty already have done so if I lived in the US.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I echo the comments above about buying cobs from both companies.
They smoking technique and experience does vary pretty significantly between the two. I really like the round reed stem of the Old Dominion cobs. I find them refreshingly light, and easy to clench. I also like the length of the stem of the OD cobs. I use the Laughing King pipes for sampling new tobaccos that might ghost. I find the MM cobs a little heavier, and with stems that clench and smoke more like the traditional drilled and tapered pipe stem.
I've had personal dealings with Robert from OD and Phil from MM as they have both stepped up over the years to support our pipe club and they have both been friendly, open, quick to communicate and become firm friends of the club.
Go with both. You won't be disappointed.
-- Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.