PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

greatdane

Might Stick Around
Dec 26, 2018
I stopped by a local antique store today and saw some really neat older tobacco jars. Most were made of porcelain, some had a metal lining. A few were handpainted and quite nice, wouldn't mind buying one if only for decorative purposes.
But it made me wonder, does anybody still use these to store their everyday tobaccos? How long will tobacco stay OK if stored in these?

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
I wouldn't mind storing some tobacco in there that I want to dry out a tad.
Something that I smoke frequently like Luxury Bullseye Flake would be fine in there in my opinion.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Yes, nice to have, rotten for medium-long term storage. I'd guess a few weeks would be o.k. depending on initial moisture and where you live.

gatorlope

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 5, 2019
South Florida
Here’s a couple I picked up along the way...
dab6e3fa-a6e4-4626-a4d8-23ad57e0f25c-600x450.jpg

Briar Baron

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2016
Sydney
Here are a few of mine, three pottery and one bronze. Yes, I use them :)
//http://pipesmagazine.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/album/15752/thumbnail_img_2350-150x112.jpg
//http://pipesmagazine.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/album/15752/thumbnail_img_2352-112x150.jpg
Help with images please.....

rfernand

Oct 2, 2015
I have a couple of Savinelli jars I really like and use. I also have a Dunhill pipe stand with pipe tobacco humidor, which exclusively stores Westminster. Yum.

dethmutt

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2018
I stick mostly with mason jars. But I picked up a ceramic jar with a silicone seal wood top off amazon. It stores my capt black grape. Its a daily smoke, tastes good, burns fast.. a quick after work smoke... I break into the jars on the weekend when I have time to sit and savor!

skydog

Jun 27, 2017
I've got an old ceramic Captain Black jar I inherited from my grandfather that's probably no more than a couple decades old but it's worth its weight in gold to me because he used it. I've never actually filled it up with tobacco since I've got plenty of mason jars that I know will keep a tight seal for as long as needed but it's a nice decorative piece.

dethmutt

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2018
nice Skydog!!! Ill bet it is waiting for some tobacco!!!! but what a nice piece to have on the shelf!!!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
This is a really good question. New porcelain and ceramic jars are quite expensive, like $85 is not at the high end. Likewise, many antique tobacco stand jars of either clear glass or amber colored with lids have no seal, just a lid. Old timers used to keep their usually one favorite blend in there and not all of them smoked it up in a week or a month. I am of the school that suspects that dry tobacco smokes as well or better that moist, but it varies a lot with blends, and I still jar most of my bulk. I have discovered blends that were not jarred, in an old baggie or tobacco pouch, that smoked really well, to my surprise. Sailors in the old square riggers used to have tobacco in cloth bags that was expected to remain good for months at sea.

Status
Not open for further replies.