PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
I’ve got a few cobs that get smoked every day at work. Some are fairly new (couple months old). One in particular has managed to survive for 8 years! It’s strange that some or most of my MM cobs don’t make it past a few years but this workhorse just keeps on going with no difference in treatment. It’s on its 5th replacement stem and yes, before everybody starts cracking on me.....I like the OE plastic stems.image.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I only smoke a bowl or two a day, sometimes none, and I have many pipes, but my cobs have lasted many years in rotation. They leave the least dottle of any, often none. I have several with the Forever replacement stems, but usually I order the editions with acrylic stems, just to eliminate replacing stems.

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
I only smoke a bowl or two a day, sometimes none, and I have many pipes, but my cobs have lasted many years in rotation. They leave the least dottle of any, often none. I have several with the Forever replacement stems, but usually I order the editions with acrylic stems, just to eliminate replacing stems.
I agree with many of your points. I usually smoke 5 bowls minimum while at work and the rotation consists of 3 cobs to include the one above. For whatever reason that one, the cob is denser.....almost like wood.

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
Oof, the stock stems?. Have you tried the forever stems from Walker Briar Works or Vermont Freehand? Completely changed the cob experience for me.

Glad to hear your workhorse is still going, though. I have some cobs that are pretty old, but none that well-loved.
No sir, never tried the forever stems. I like the cheap plastic only because they are (to me) thin and comfortable.

burleybreath

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
I like the plastic stems because you can chew them up, throw them away after they split and cut your tongue, and stick a fresh one in each pipe for pennies. I buy them by the bagful. The only thing I dislike is that the bents have a weird bend, almost a kink that looks perfunctory, or something. Acrylic bits and Forever stems, of which I have both, are for dress-up, putting on airs, and effecting a genteel manner, like when I put on fresh overalls to visit the proctologist or whatever. There's a place for both. [He said, as if uttering a profundity.]

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I agree about the plastic stems. I like them because they are no fuss, but the bend is almost like a kink. I like my straight much better than the bends.
Agree. I think they are just bent super easily using some kind of jig. I used to like the bents now I like the straights.

Reactions: weezell and kurtbob

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I am in the habit of throwing little to nothing away ... so yeah I keep my cobs, even though they may not be my first choice, I have Missouri Meerschaum Cobs as old as 5-6 years, that are in perfect working conditions (stock stems and forever stems). If it's a cheap pipe it doesn't mean one doesn't have to take good care of it. Cheap/inexpensive doesn't always mean bad quality ..

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Bought these 2 back in the late 1970s. Lot smaller Legends back then...
7Q0fJRE.jpg