PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

terry

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2011
Would appreciate a review from anyone who owns a old boy lighter. I have the vertigo imitation and it sucks big time (get what you pay for?) anyway I really like the way the lighter works but I would like to have one that works.

Thanks.

canadianbiggame

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 24, 2013
Edmonton Alberta
I bought this lighter on ebay for 30 dollars and it works great no problems. It is a nice soft flame but on very windy days it will blow out.
LINK to ebay page selling the same lighter

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/JIFENG-Antique-Style-Flint-Pipe-Flame-Cigarette-Lighter-Made-of-Copper-NIB-LF8g-/321004160215?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4abd56c4d7&_uhb=1

timely

Jan 23, 2012
I have also bought one of the Old Boy knock offs, works well so far.

But I will also say that it is not anywhere near the quality of my real

Old Boy lighter.

briarfanatic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 27, 2013
I have owned two over the years and loved them both. They have a decent fuel tank and are perfect for lighting a pipe. However, as others have stated, they are a strictly indoor lighter.
The one I have right now needs to be sent in for repairs after I gave it to some jackass several years ago to light his cigarette. The guy bent the lever too far back and now the gas will not stay in.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I have three Old Boys. I did buy the cheapo Vector one which I only use in the car and I have a Peterson Old Boy as well as an IM Corona matte black finish Old Boy. Both are very good lighters. Consistent with the strike and pretty generous fuel tanks. If it's a constant breeze or a very windy day though they'll probably be a bugger to light the pipe.

wcannoy

Can't Leave
Nov 29, 2012
Lakeland, FL
I don't know about the knock-offs, but the Old Boy is built like a tank. I've used mine for a decade, so much that the original matte black finish has wore off. Still works like a charm!
WP_001547_b.jpg

jeepnewbie

Jul 12, 2013
Byron
www.facebook.com
Anyone have a Old Boy and a Dunhill that can compare the two? I love my Dunhill, but also love the Old Boy look too. Kinda gives off the impression of what someone dressed up as a steampunk "cosplayer?" would use.
I mostly collect zippos, but would love to add this to my collection of pipe lighters one day.

jeepnewbie

Jul 12, 2013
Byron
www.facebook.com
Personally for me I paid around 150 for my Dunhill and reading that the Old Boys cost about the same.
Is the Old Boy flame straight up or set up for a angle. My Dunhill is up, before I realized i coulda got it set at a angle. The top of the Old Boy is mostly open, does this cause any issues when toting in a pocket? Like what if you dropped it in the wrong pocket and your keys scrap up on it will it do more that cosmetic damage? I know its unfair to really compare them hardcore against each other, as brand new would be in two different ballparks. How much to repair a used one?

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Old Boys can be had for around $100
The flame is at a right angle, but it's a low-velocity jet, so it slopes gently upwards. I have no problem tilting the lighter at a 90 and reaching the bottom of any bowl.
I have yet to damage my Old Boy. More experienced folks here say they've carried them for 14 years with no problems.
BTW, someone here informed me that Dunhill will retrofit your Rollagas for pipe use. He had his done gratis, YMMV.

fishingandpipes

Aug 24, 2013
I got one for cheap and lost it somewhere in the old homestead in about two weeks. It had to have been in the house because it was useless outside.
It was OK. I prefer bics.

organizedmadman

Can't Leave
Nov 8, 2011
Louisville, Ky
I love mine, I haven't had it for long, but it's been my go-to lighter since it arrived.

I won it on eBay, new for $90 and only use 5x filtered butane in it.

It hasn't failed me once, although it's not wind proof by any means. The built-in tamper makes it even better.
03e83d0c452f6dabd5757a70924339da_zps15de32d7.jpg

dryseason91

Can't Leave
Oct 10, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
I got a Peterson Old Boy style new for 80 USD. It's marked Made in Japan so I guess it's possible that it's made by Corona, which would make it a genuine Old Boy only rebranded. I'm very happy with it so far. I understand that the Peterson doesn't have the built-in tamper that comes with the Old Boy, but this has the advantage of making the fuel tank bigger.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I have a Nibo lighter, an Old Boy knock-off. I bought it to see how I would like that style of lighter.

The quality seems to be there and at $18 it's is a no-brainer.

AAAAC4qfE5wAAAAAACRsiw.jpg

IMO, this style of lighter is not the most convenient lighter I've ever used -- at least not for a right-handed person.

After flipping the lid, one has to rotate it so the thumb can reach the flint wheel, and then rotate it again to direct the flame.

For most folks, I guess, these motions become second nature; but it seems a little awkward.

I think the design would be much better if it was built as a complete mirror image of itself.

As it is, a left-handed person should find it quite convenient to use.
That said, I hasten to add that I'm a matches guy. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.