Okay, So What About Cellaring Lakelands?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

2 Fresh Former Pipes
4 Fresh Scott Thile Pipes
108 Fresh Brulor Pipes
36 Fresh Estate Pipes
48 Fresh Savinelli Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
A couple threads on cellaring various types of tobaccos got me wondering if anyone's had the chance to try any of the Lakeland-style blends with age on them. Since they tend to be a drier flake than a standard aromatic -- and made of very high-quality tobacco -- I'm thinking they may develop a bit more in line with a standard English/VA mixture.
I'm not asking if I should cellar; of course, we should cellar everything we like! I'd just love to hear someone's firsthand perceptions on the differences that aging may or may not make on this category of blends. (And if you have specific experience with older Ennerdale or Kendal Cream Flake, that would be great! Those are the two I've gravitated toward.)
Bob

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
Cortez sent me a bunch of Lakeland Flake tobacco with 3-4 years on them.
The Ennerdale had a lot of bloom, and if anything, it was stronger in flavor (both the sauce, and the underlying leaf) than the fresh Ennerdale I had on hand. It was sweeter, and very nice.
The Kendal Cream Flake was also delicious. I have never tried "fresh" KCF, but the aged was outstanding. I still have just a few bowls left.
Both flakes are among my all time favorites. You won't have to worry about losing flavor if you jar them well, as Cortez and myself have. Cellar without fear!

K

klause

I've never considered Condor a Lakeland, but it know it gets lumped in there, so I suppose it counts.
To me Condor is king. I don't smoke it all the time, or even often. It is impossible for me to describe or try and review - it's a try it thing. It compares with nothing out there - it stands in a field all it's own. Nothing comes close.
To the point - I'm currently smoking some 8 yr old Condor. This stuff is out of this world. Stunning and sublime. Smoother than a velvet milkshake served in a velvet glass! Quite simply the most gorgeous tobacco I have ever had.
And, all by accident. Found a long forgotten pouch at the back of the sock draw. T'was in perfect condition. It had darkened beautifully, and the aroma - wow! The aroma.
So, now, I'm Cellaring Condor. As much as I can. Even the plugs (getting harder to find these days).
Heaven awaits me a few years down the line. For now, I'll stretch out what I have.
Go for it.

May 31, 2012
Stunning and sublime. Smoother than a velvet milkshake served in a velvet glass!
Great quote!
That pouch that you so kindly sent me from Oct 2012 truly was outta this world!
I mean seriously.
It changed my life.
Thank you so much my good man!

:puffy:

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Wow, guys, this sounds promising! Given the way a straight VA/burley flake will improve significantly with time, it doesn't surprise me that a VA/burley with some scenting on it would also develop in the tin. I think there's something quite different going on with the Lakeland scents/flavors than in a "traditional" aromatic. To me, it's more like they're "dusted" with flavor rather than "sauced," like dry rub versus marinade. (But I don't know for a fact how the scenting/flavoring happens. This is all just based on my perception of the difference.)
Bob

billypm

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2013
That settles it. I'm buying a bale or two of Condor and jarring it. It IS "king".

bryanf

Jul 16, 2013
Having just finished J.M. Barrie's "My Lady Nicotine", I am reminded of the author's view towards the Arcadia Mixture. He strongly felt that this tobacco was only for those who he deemed worthy, and would only introduce it to others after careful examination of their character. If not, he would go so far as to remove the Arcadia mixture from their possession. Once a smoker had tasted Arcadia mixture, he would smoke nothing else, and consider all other tobaccos to be inferior.
I hold that the Arcadia Mixture (as it is known that this is a fictional mixture, never actually produced at that time) was a code word for CONDOR!
Well, are you worthy?

olewaylon

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2012
Ive got some aged Ennerdale flake. It has aged nicely. It does accumulate a ton of plume. it is just covered in it.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
I've had some luck cellaring Gawith & Hoggarth Glengarry Flake. I had some after a year in the jar and it mellowed nicely.
I just opened my first pouch of Condor this week (long cut). It is a fine smoke and it was fun to try. Being stateside I can't see paying the premium for it though, especially when Kendal Flake and Best Brown are readily available and half the price. I mean, it is almost $1 per flake.

fishingandpipes

Aug 24, 2013
In my experience the scented blends do not age well. The scent disappears and the tobacco loses its flavor.
Your mileage may vary and it depends on the blend.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
junkyarddawg wrote:
"can you wait a couple years, bud? I just started aging some Rum, Ennerdale and Best Brown #2 flakes. :P"
You know, I completely forgot that Rum Flake has any sort of Lakeland presence; I've got 4 tins from 2007 in the cellar, but I have yet to try it! And I've got 2 tins from 2007 of the Best Brown #2, even though I've never tried that one either!
Hmm. . . this is starting to feel like discovering last week that I have a 1964 Dunhill in my collection. (I'd just never bothered to look up the nomenclature before.) Maybe I should be paying more attention to what I've already got on hand! ;)
Bob

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
You say "Condor" and I'm instantly reminded of my job in a tobacco shop years ago, where, during slow times, I and my co-workers would play with the tobacco tins. The Condor tins would swoop down, as we made screeching sounds, over the Bengal Slices, which would roar back at it.
Yeah, we were very mature for our age. :)
Bob

May 31, 2012
You say "Condor" and I'm instantly reminded of my job in a tobacco shop years ago, where, during slow times, I and my co-workers would play with the tobacco tins. The Condor tins would swoop down, as we made screeching sounds, over the Bengal Slices, which would roar back at it.
Yeah, we were very mature for our age. [:)]
Bob
LOL

That's a great story Bob,

thanks for sharing that,

gave me the giggles!

:lol:

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
lostandfound wrote:
"You guys are making me want Condor."
If you're in the States, it's expensive. There's a retailer in Spain that will sell to us, but you have to buy 5 pouches (pouches, not tins) at a time. Five 50g pouches are $53.29, plus around $30 for shipping/handling. All told, it comes to about $16-18 per pouch. Not bad at all if you know that you really enjoy the blend. But a bit pricey for something you haven't tried and don't know if you'll enjoy.
http://www.e-tobaccos.com/buy-cigars/condor-ready-rubbed-50g-bags-p-1631.html
Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.