OK To Vacuum Seal Bulk Aromatic Tobacco?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

cosgringo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 17, 2019
CO Springs
I ask as I bought a bunch of bulk Sutliff vanilla custard/cream- my wife likes the room notes. It allows me to smoke in her vicinity without the games of putting a blanket over her face or dirty looks. Else- off to the man cave.

So I can get more jars but I my thinking is that this sort of tobacco has little to gain from aging with any aeration, correct?

I realize there is a gain to holding your good tobacco in jars which is what I've been doing. But again, Sutliff?

Thoughts? Thx as always.

cosgringo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 17, 2019
CO Springs
I share the same logic and have several Aros that are just vacuum sealed, not in jars.

The oldest I have opened so far is 7 months. and when compared to what's in a jar seems to be more vibrant and flavorful out of the vacuum sealed bag
So do you personally feel it's a good practice on some other tobacco types? I am not swimming in high end tobaccos but do have some decent ones. I've left "Pete's Beard" in it's jar that it came in though opened it 2x in the distant past, quiet nights is in a jar, my crumbs of Dorchester in a jar, my dried out Orlik made it to a jar possibly later than it should have out of it's tin. Perhaps about 6 others that don't come to mind.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I try to squeeze as much air as possible out of the bag and then seal it without vacuum. If the tobacco going in is fairly fresh I don't think it makes a large difference this way vs vacuuming it.

Reactions: cosgringo

cosgringo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 17, 2019
CO Springs
Funny- I buy a american lb of tobac and feel like I am stocking my big freezer with a new load of steaks/beef. A wonderful feeling lol.

No- I do not put it in a freezer though that's an interesting thought for long term storage of a special to be used but once again tobacco. (probably ruined though)

Reactions: shanez

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I just jar them. I have some ten year old chocolate truffle that tastes the same as a fresh bag does.

Reactions: cosgringo

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I realize there is a gain to holding your good tobacco in jars which is what I've been doing. But again, Sutliff?
Sutliff manufactures some of the higher rated blends. Most of Hearth and Home's blends are made by them, and Sutliff's Elizabethan Match is a top notch Virginia/Perique. Their parent company Mac Baren makes many favorites. Treat Sutliff blends like you would any other and they won't let you down.

Last edited:

cosgringo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 17, 2019
CO Springs
Sutliff manufactures some of the higher rated blends. Most of Hearth and Home's blends are made by them, and Sutliff's Elizabethan Match is a top notch Virginia/Perique. Their parent company Mac Baren makes many favorites. Treat Sutliff blends like you would any other and they won't let you down.
Thank you. Perhaps I just see aromatics (or flavorful ones) as some that tend to only smoke English blends and such. Not personally mind you- just that I perhaps have an uninformed palate.

If we want to talk cigars- well I can do that and won't back down lol.
Thx

Reactions: Chasing Embers

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
I ask as I bought a bunch of bulk Sutliff vanilla custard/cream- my wife likes the room notes. It allows me to smoke in her vicinity without the games of putting a blanket over her face or dirty looks. Else- off to the man cave.

You are lucky. There is no tobacco I can smoke around my wife without her acting as though she is going to die. She's worse than this guy. And even worse than his mustache.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
On my quest to find that video, I found this one. We've all felt like it was going to kill us but it took a young Jackie Chan to prove it..

311330_v1.gif

• Haha
Reactions: BROBS and gervais