PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
Alright, so I am approaching 20lbs of tobacco in my cellar. I know that may not sound like a lot to some of you, but at the rate I smoke, that’s probably 10-15 years, maybe more, of stock. I think I’m going to stop buying it just to stockpile it, and let it buffer as I only buy new stuff that I want to try. I have a bad case of TAD, and I have to try to control it.

In the back of my mind I’m thinking “what if my consumption increases as my life gets less busy? Kids move out, maybe retirement?” These thoughts make me feel like I might need a lot more. I don’t think my TAD would be as bad as it is if I didn’t keep hearing about online sales disappearing, and tobacco someday becoming hard to get. Wish me luck guys, and I appreciate any advice on my “plan”

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I wonder why pipe smokers think in terms of a lifetime supply. I know the cultural and legislative climate is none too friendly, but dairy products are not selling like they used to, and not too many are digging cheese caves or hoarding dry milk. I'm joking about that, but you could stretch 20 pounds of blend beyond 15 years with moderation and good maintenance. It's tempting to try and buy new things. I'd keep it steady, but consider that you are well provided far into the future. I think a few tins a few times a year will keep your pipes packed.

sisyphus

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 11, 2019
you now need to be 21 to buy tobacco. It would surprise me not at all if internet sales of any and all tobacco were legislated away, as early as this time next year. It's coming sooner or later. What if pipe tobacco from abroad had to meet the same requirements cigarettes do? You'd never see a European brand in the states again. I smoke 4-5 bowls a day, and I am really glad that the FDA thing scared me enough back in 2011 that I started cellaring in earnest. I could make it on what I have now. I just buy stuff to fill in perceived holes.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
I appreciate any advice on my “plan”

I could have written that post. I think you and I are in similar life positions. I’ve also stopped at an amount of tobacco that buffers 15 or so years at this rate, but a retirement increase could blow it up. And I’m not yet willing to put three times my body weight in tobacco in the basement.

I have also chosen to call that good enough for now, and just let new tins accumulate as I continue to try new blends. I have no good advice for you, as I am in the same position. And any news on the importation of tobacco into Canada from SP.com would send me into overdrive.

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
I could have written that post. I think you and I are in similar life positions. I’ve also stopped at an amount of tobacco that buffers 15 or so years at this rate, but a retirement increase could blow it up. And I’m not yet willing to put three times my body weight in tobacco in the basement.

I have also chosen to call that good enough for now, and just let new tins accumulate as I continue to try new blends. I have no good advice for you, as I am in the same position. And any news on the importation of tobacco into Canada from SP.com would send me into overdrive.
Glad to hear that I’m not alone. I couldnt agree with you more with the SP.com comment. Canadians would be crying if they ever cut us off. All we can do is hope

Reactions: Casual
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
So if 20 lbs is good for 10 to 15 years, 50 lbs should probably last the rest of your life. Price per pound probably averages around $70. Another 30 lbs would cost you $2100. So ask yourself, if you're unable to purchase tobacco a year from now, would you be glad you didn't spend the $2100 10 to 15 years from now? It's your money and you have to set your priorities.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
Price per pound probably averages around $70. Another 30 lbs would cost you $2100.

Taxes in Canada can push the price up by a factor of 3 to 5, depending on the province, And you just simply can’t import pounds at a time without being a licensed retailer which costs tens of thousands. So you do it bit by bit which increases shipping costs.

Were I in the states, I’d have already filled the basement as you describe.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
In order to stop buying more, I look at the bins already filled and think "what was I thinking?" I have more than enough. Besides, what is a lifelong supply anyway? Who can say with any certainty when he or she will fall of the twig?
I might decide I'm done with the pipes. I might decide to smoke less. I might develop a health condition that requires me to quit. I might wake up tomorrow seriously dead. 10 to 15 years is a more than bountiful supply. Enough is enough.

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
I think having complete dresser and multiple bins of tobacco is totally enough. It’s the unopened tins and the re sale potential for others to enjoy that keeps myself and I’m sure others buying.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
It’s the unopened tins and the re sale potential for others to enjoy that keeps myself and I’m sure others buying
For now. Should internet sales get banned and shipping of tobacco tins via UPS and USPS be banned, good luck selling all of that. Of course there are pipe shows and possible consignment with local B&M's. Better support them or you can kiss that avenue sayonara.

TinCup

Can't Leave
Nov 14, 2019
Indian Ocean
So if 20 lbs is good for 10 to 15 years, 50 lbs should probably last the rest of your life. Price per pound probably averages around $70. Another 30 lbs would cost you $2100. So ask yourself, if you're unable to purchase tobacco a year from now, would you be glad you didn't spend the $2100 10 to 15 years from now? It's your money and you have to set your priorities.

Leaving price to one side (& forgive my ignorance) Is my highlight likely to happen in all/parts of the US ?

TinCup

Can't Leave
Nov 14, 2019
Indian Ocean
For now. Should internet sales get banned and shipping of tobacco tins via UPS and USPS be banned, good luck selling all of that. Of course there are pipe shows and possible consignment with local B&M's. Better support them or you can kiss that avenue sayonara.

I never realised these type of things were being considered. Is that just those two couriers or every courier?

Although I wonder how far I'd be prepared to drive to collect say 2lbs of tobacco...

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I never realised these type of things were being considered. Is that just those two couriers or every courier?

Although I wonder how far I'd be prepared to drive to collect say 2lbs of tobacco...
Both services have restrictions regarding transporting tobacco. IIRC. UPS willnot ship tobacco products except for a few grandfathered commercial accounts. And of course, there are all of the overseas countries where your tobacco is confiscated and destroyed. USPS has a list of various restrictions and rules regarding tobacco on their website.

Status
Not open for further replies.