Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brendhain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2018
Hello!
I remember there being an Italian pipe maker using an oil curing process (a la Old School Dunhills). Does anyone know which Italian manufacturers were doing this?
Do you know about the process?
Thanks!

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Radice did for awhile, then stopped, but recently there are a few around again - check out Al Pascia for example.
I don't know of any other Italian makers who oil cured.

Reactions: brendhain

pipehunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2016
The company that closed in 1981 (if memory serves). I think it was relaunched as a brand, but I know nothing about it and no idea if they still oil cure.

Oct 7, 2016
And Lubinski, the Italian distributor for Peterson and a major factor in the pipe industry worldwide, had some stummels oil cured and sent to Peterson to be finished. These were, AFAIK,only sold in Italy. So if you come across a Peterson Linseed you have another partially Italian oil cured pipe. And a rarity.
A Google search turned this up:
oil cured pete

enrikon

Lurker
Dec 26, 2018
https://m.ebay.it/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m4084.l1313.TR2.TRC1.A0.H0.XGilli+pipa.TRS0&_nkw=Gilli+pipa

bluesmk

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2013
Bethlehem,PA
Oldgeezer, yes they were very well made. In retrosect, I'm sorry I ever traded the two I owned. They were great smokers.

Dan

Gabrieli Pipes

raevans

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2013
Savinelli did some oil cured pipes for a while, I believe that it was their Capri Corals. Not sure if they still do.

swan

Lurker
Dec 9, 2018
NYC
Capri and Punto Oro corallo were not oil cured.
For a period also Becker & Musico and Foundation offered Oil Cured pipes.

Currenlty only Gilli is regularly offering oil cured pipes and they are really excellent pipes

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
What Is A Cayuga Pipe?
"OIL CURED & MIRACLE CAKED"

Paul's own brand, Cayuga pipes are oil cured by a special process at 410 degrees Fahrenheit to mellow the briar and open the pores. Oil curing makes the pipe smoke cooler and dryer, and also lighter in weight. Also every one of the Cayuga pipe bowls are treated with a "MIRACLE CAKE" which makes the breaking in of the pipe a pleasent smoke right from the start. There are no filters of any kind in Cayuga pipes, which makes cleaning them much easier -- you can run a pipe cleaner through without taking them apart.
For what it's worth...

Status
Not open for further replies.