PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
There are many gorgeous examples of the pipe carver's art posted on Forums regularly these days, but I remember some years ago when they were almost a daily feature. Especially two members come to mind, although there were probably more than a dozen at one time who shared photos of their artisan pipe collections. The late great fish'n'banjo did photos of himself smoking his vast number of museum piece pipes for years. You might think he was bragging, but because of his generous nature, I always thought of it as sharing. I'd nearly always look at his posts and respond. Likewise, peck who is still an active member but not posting nearly as much, would post some magnificent acquisition every week or three. Maybe it was just because I was less familiar with artisan pipes than now, it was a whole new world. I felt that left an opening for a guy (me) who specialized in factory pipes at more modest prices, but I did, and do, appreciate the high end items in all their art and craftsmanship.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I just started checking out the pipe scene on Facebook and Etsy. There sure are a lot of people who think they are artisan pipe makers but most are a complete joke. Guys with maybe a year or two of carving asking 200-400 and the shapes are ridiculous. They think adding pall kinds of weird colors makes the pipe attractive. They need to spend a few years making nothing but Billiards, Dublins and Apple's. The shaping is all over the place and many look like a 10th grade art project.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I just started checking out the pipe scene on Facebook and Etsy. There sure are a lot of people who think they are artisan pipe makers but most are a complete joke. Guys with maybe a year or two of carving asking 200-400 and the shapes are ridiculous. They think adding pall kinds of weird colors makes the pipe attractive. They need to spend a few years making nothing but Billiards, Dublins and Apple's. The shaping is all over the place and many look like a 10th grade art project.
And that my friend is why I don't sell mine! Hahaha. Very well put!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think in the glory days I'm remembering, 2013 to 15 or so, both fish'n'banjo and peck were adding to their high-end stables of pipes at a furious pace, and both were (and peck is) a curator of fine pipes, so their choices were made from a depth of knowledge and some personal contacts with the carvers. So the pipes they were purchasing were prime examples of what was being done. Also, fish'n'banjo's collecting went way back, so he had some cobs and other pipes we'll never see for sale again, or only at auction. fish' had a special fondness for bamboo shanks, relating maybe to his other great collecting passion for classic fly rods. Seeing their collections was like strolling through a great museum of pipes over weeks.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
mso, Peck and Fish were in a different league to almost everyone here. They were buying some serious stuff and they both had great taste. Hopefully Peck will show his ugly mug around here again. These new guys need to see his man cave. It is without a doubt the best I have ever seen. Plus I need to bug him to show me all his pipes I haven't seen yet. I especially want to see the Michael Parks ones. I bet Peck has him doing commissions for him alone. I never see Parks list a pipe on line anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.