PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipinho

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2013
Every time i smoke a vaper, no matter how careful I am, I get my mouth scorched. This doesn't happen when I smoke Virginia's, or vaburs. Only vapors. Why perique? Why!?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
For clarity, I don't know. I'd guess that Virginias burn a little hot anyway, and Perique may enhance this affect.

Orlik Golden Slice and Cup O Joes #5, which I don't think have Perique, are distinctly smooth smokes (to me).

When I add a little Perique to McClelland's Va Red Cake, it gets a little bite. It's a lovely smoke, but in a small

bowl.

drcarlo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 31, 2013
Orlik Golden Slice and Cup O Joes #5, which I don't think have Perique
Orlik GS is a vaper.
I like Vaper very much. Except from Orlik. It is the most popular brand here in Denmark. You get it everywhere, even at every gas station.

My ever favorite vaper is My Own Blend No. 51. It is perfect. Second comes Rattray's Marlin Flake. It contains much less perique than MOB 51, that is quite strong. RMF can be smoked at all times.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think the Orlik Golden Slice tin lists Perique, but there has been some discussion about whether it actually

has any. I don't have any inside track to say, but I don't taste it. It may be a very subtle component, just

a dusting. I don't have any on hand. Maybe someone could smoke a bowl and give us an assessment.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
mso489: Tom, this came up a few years ago when Kevin was talking to Troels Mikkelsen of Orlik.

Kevin mentioned that the square tins of OGS listed Burley as one of the components, but that

he didn't taste it. Troels said that the tin description is incorrect. OGS has Perique, not Burley

-- and that is what Kevin was actually failing to taste! :lol:
You can read about it in Kevin's article, Orlik Golden Sliced Update - No Burley, Yes Perique.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Smoke it really really slow, very gentle puffs, and try again. Perique can really easily give you some bite I find if you puff to hard.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Which perique blends are biting you? It could be it is not the perique in them, but the red virginia content. I have a body chemistry issue that does not allow me to smoke blends high in the reds as it is like acid to my tongue. I do smoke 5 Vaper blends that do not do this to me. They are the following.
Escudo

Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls

Solani 633

Samuel Gawith St James Flake

Dan tobaccco Treasures of Limerick
Vaper blends from Rattrays, McClellend, GL Pease,Former, Hearth and Home, C&D, Peter Stokkebeye have high red content so I have given up trying to smoke them.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
You know, I rarely suffer from tongue bite, but I tried out some McClelland Blackwood flake and I have had tongue burn for a couple days.....maybe its the V in it.
Which is too bad because....yum.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Thanks Rothnh.
You know, I really tried to be cognizant of smoking that very slowly, and sipping lightly. I was actually impressed by my approach to it. Got just a ton of sweetness out.
As far as moisture...the first bowl had probably 30 minutes dry time, the second 45. The first bowl was rubbed out, second was sort of stuffed (its too broken up to call it a true fold & stuff).
What kind of dry times are you allowing, and how are you packing it?
I'm not ready to abandon it- in fact I'm ready to stock up- but not at the expense of the tongue.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
pipinho:
Not sure if you're still checking in here, but I came across this thread when searching for something else...
You may be having an allergic/body-chemistry reaction to perique. I struggle with this myself; the sensation is similar to tongue bite, but more like needles attacking my mouth. From what I can tell, this is a very rare reaction, but it does happen to a few of us. Even the tiniest amount of perique -- quantities that perique lovers can't even identify -- will set it off.
I'm currently experimenting to see if I can overcome this. I'm adding a single pinch of a blend containing perique to a bowl full of something else, to see if I can slowly increase the perique element without killing myself. We'll see how this plays out over time...
Bob

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Until recently, I could only tolerate Perique in Latakia forward blends, such as Nightcap or FM On The Bayou, and even then only in small amounts. I loathed Va/Pers entirely! But recently I tried Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls and my eyes were opened! I'll be placing a TAD order in a couple of weeks, and it's mostly gonna be "one tin" samples of different Va/Pers and straight Va's!

If only I'd stayed away from the Dunhill DNR, I wouldn't have had to buy a bunch more tobacco! Damn TAD!

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
When I first started smoking st. james woods by McC's it bit the heck out of me too, then I learned the art of slow sipping.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I've read that VA/Periques have a more neutral pH than straight VA. At any rate I can smoke the former at will but have to ready myself to smoke straight VA very slowly and carefully, to avoid bite.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I must be the luckiest guy in the forums; I never get tongue bite -- at least not in recent years.
@Samcoffeeman, thanks for mentioning that Blackwoods needs some breathing time too.

I've been itching to try it, so I better open my tin now while I'm thinking about it.

I always think it's odd how we all have such different tastes and reactions to tobaccos. The Virginias and VaPers don't seem to bother me. But, latakia seems to make my taste buds scream like I've just had phosphoric acid steamed into my mouth. I think Syrian in particular, because I can tolerate (and even sort of enjoy) Cyprian, especially in a Va heavy blend as in what GLP has done in his Fog City Selections.
If you don't like a blend or it bothers you, avoid it. Heck, I love the way Frog Morton smells, but I can't stand the Froggies nor most of the Englishes. Some may hate or not be able to smoke Escudo and Haddos. It's all good. This is why we have so many different blends in the world. Just go with what you enjoy. No one is saying you HAVE to like anything in particular. Just please your own taste buds and don't sweat it. :puffy:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Perique is a strong "spice" for other tobacco. Like hot spices in foods, I find it pleasant if

it picks up and draws out the flavors of the other tobacco. When it overrides everything else,

so you are mostly tasting Perique and everything else is muted, I don't care for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.