PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivapewithfire

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2014
West Virginia, USA
My basket pipe :lol:
Seriously though, I was inspired over the weekend to play around with re-finishing a pipe. Dave made a post of a few pipes he had worked on so far this winter. I really loved the coloring of a couple of them. The particular shade really appealed to me.
Dave was kind enough to correspond with me about the colors he used and how he goes about mixing small batches. It really just comes down to a mix and test until it's what you think you want. Of course that is keeping in mind that buffing is going to slightly change the final look.
Either way, he gave me a starting point. I've since ordered a few new colors to add to my stain arsenal. I currently only have black, dark brown, and tan.
This last Sunday (before my conversation with Dave), I decided to re-stain a basket pipe I have. Well, my only basket pipe. I only have 5 pipes total, two of which I made. I'm least attached to the basket pipe so it was a perfect subject for experimentation.
I wish I had taken some pictures before I stripped the original stain, but I had no idea that re-finishing the pipe would make such a difference in its appearance.
The best I can describe the previous state is your typical dark reddish born basket pipe. Dark enough to hide any flaws and all but a hint of the grain underneath.
As soon as I stripped the pipe, the main flaw on the right front side was obvious to me. The grain is also nothing spectacular. Interesting, but not an artisan level stain by any means.
I described the final product to dave as "Very Brown". When he saw the pictures, he used much better words. He described it as rich brown and caramel colors. I vote for his description.
I've included a couple of photos.
One of the pipe stripped.
The second is a good representation of the colors. When I look at it on my screen it matches what I see in my hand.
The third and fourth are close-ups that show the contrast and overall detail.
I'm really happy with how it turned out.
It's much more striking than when I pulled it out of the pile of pipes on the counter at my local B&M
98Oeg6N.jpg

9ND0Lx0.jpg

zR7tUzN.jpg

udksy3i.jpg

ivapewithfire

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2014
West Virginia, USA
Very odd grain. I'm sure that is why it was stained so heavy and in a pile of seconds.
I just finally got a good looking contrast.
Next week, you'll probably see the same pipe with a slightly more reddish-orange hue :)

Jan 8, 2013
For a moment there I thought that this was going to be a thread about underwear!
:rofl:
The grain is kinda freaky. But freaky in a good way. Not the kind of grain most of us would look for, but it's got character :) I bet you'll reach for that pipe more often now. Great job :) :clap:

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
As an old cabinetmaker, I love wood with interesting grain patterns. Good looking pipe, very well done.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
the main flaw on the right front side was obvious to me
Huh? I don't see it?

Holy crap that is a nice looking grain and it's the finish that pops it. Of course all briars are different, but truly, a perfect plateaux straight grain is beautiful, but this is unique. An Appaloosa of pipes. That one side of the pipe looks like it's full of imagery, for real! You'll have lots of relights with this one because of loosing yourself in that 'fingerprint'. I see a hawk, a ghoul, and a caldron of fire. It's alive and layered.

ivapewithfire

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2014
West Virginia, USA
toby67 if you are even thinking about it you should do it.
I think it was a total of about two hours of time stripping, staining and buffing. Of course there were times when it sat and I didn't do anything. So two hours of my time over the period of two days.
The pipe I used was $30 brand new. Even if I ended up with a disaster it wouldn't have been a big deal.
As it is, I like the pipe 1000% more. It looks better and I had a hand in it.
Do it man!

Status
Not open for further replies.