PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
I love the shape of the Hawkbill design, but do not own one, however it will likely be my next purchase. I will try to find the largest model out there when I do buy one. Post up pics of your Hawkbills here.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Ser Jacopo

getimagevar.jpg

Ser Jac Picta Van Gogh

vangogh.jpg

Radice

DSCN0564.jpg

Tinsky

TinskyHawkLeftFull-1.jpg

That Tinsky set me back plenty! I had to let Shoe Lady have a pair of open toe pumps and a goofy pair of platforms for that one. :rofl:

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Should call this the "Help Hobie And Everyone Else's' PAD" thread...
Not sure if I like the Hawkbill design but I think it may be growing on me. Where did you find that pic hobie and where's the key with all of the makers?
Oh and BTW, nice briar cortez!
-JAson

Jul 15, 2011
The Savinelli 320 kind of reminds me of this shape, only the Hawkbill has a deeper bend and a skinnier, longer shank. I didn't even know this shape existed until a few days ago when I saw it on a youtube video. Seeing the video and hobies post has definitely got me itching for one.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Here's the Picta Van Gogh that got moved out of the post above

SJVanGogh1.jpg

And a rusticated Ser Jac

SerJacopo254-1.jpg

And another Radice -- Underwood, they call it. (Perhaps the best smoking pipe I own)

RadiceUnderwood2.jpg

Or maybe that title should go to my Rinaldo -- it's pretty good too!

Rinaldo1.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Interesting lookers, all. I don't remember these pipes before about four years ago. They seem to have

come from carvers in mostly the upper price range, so they are definitely handsome. You don't have

the easing off of leverage against your teeth you get with a more bent pipe, but they are striking to see.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Right! They certainly aren't clenchers -- that's for sure.

I think the shape started in the Castello shop -- and you're right, they haven't been around for too many years.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
Right! They certainly aren't clenchers -- that's for sure.

I think the shape started in the Castello shop -- and you're right, they haven't been around for too many years.

You'd be surprised (I was) how much better they clench compared to a straight pipe of the same size. Castello has made them since at least the early 50's I've been told it's a French shape. I'd say they peaked in popularity over 10 years ago. Here is my only 84, an Epoca from the Great collection of Mike Davis one the Nut Brothers. After seeing his and Mike McCain's award winning combined hawkbill collections inspired my humble collection. 8O

t2ec1610.jpg

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
You'd be surprised (I was) how much better they clench compared to a straight pipe of the same size.
I have to agree with you there Dave. They are a pretty comfortable pipe especially those with a really deep curve to the shank.

I only have two Castello Hawkbills. Here is a photo of a really large GGG sized 84 shape with a super blast that is one of my favorite Castellos.

The other Hawkbill in my collection is a very small SC84 Sea Rock dating back to the earlier days of Castello.
GGG 84 Old Antiquary

Status
Not open for further replies.