PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I would suggest getting some small mylar bags for carrying some tobacco around. I would think they would maintain the moisture level adequately. I live in Indiana and understand the humidity thing. Since I prefer my tobacco rather dry, I'd rather solve your problem than the one here. I used to travel to Southern CA rather often, never had the experience Cosmic did. I once spent 5 days at the Broadmoor in Colorado Springs, the thin air had me a bit nauseous around the 4th day.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
This is about as social media as I get. No Facebook, Twitter, or whatever else there is. In higher humidity pack lighter just as you would do with damp tobacco.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Be Welcome to the forums Sir,and 1+ For Chasing Embers-The Captain of The Black frigate*, well said, Ps.to this day I ain't gotten no smart phones instead I still keep using my ridiculous Flip Motorola Razr,nor am I in social media apart from Y Tube.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Don't know whether this is a Las Vegas thread or a social media thread, but I will jump in anyway.
I've never been to Las Vegas and I don't use any of the Big 3 social media sites. As Chasingembers put it, this is as social as I get. I don't even have a cell phone, and listen to vinyl records. So coupled with the pipe smoking I guess I'm a little old fashioned.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
I only look at Facebook pipe sites like Peterson pipes and PSOI when I'm in the mood for pipe photos. A forum such as this is the only kind of format that allows for a good means of having ongoing conversations.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I don't even have a cell phone, and listen to vinyl records.
I don't own a computer and have recently taken up collecting leather bound books for fear of them being fully replaced by digital media.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's intriguing how technologies disappear and then come back or hang on in some special applications. I traded out of music in my car because I don't "do" Bluetooth, though I may eventually take the time to accommodate it. I miss playing CD's. Of course many are getting back to vinyl disks. Faxing has hung on in specialized applications, but years ago when we asked a computer adept summer intern to please Fax something, she had no idea how to do it. She knew what it was, but she'd never operated a Fax. I avoid "publishing" online because once the platform disappears, so will the material, whereas, paper hangs around despite all of our best efforts to digitalize and microfiche it out of existence. Medical prescriptions are still handed from medical practices to and from drugstores by Fax for various reasons. We are losing vast vistas of our history to our lack of letter writing. The emails just ain't sticking around. They will evaporate with "the cloud," as clouds do.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
I'd call you a Luddite, Duane, except I'm that way in some ways myself. I'm gee-whiz tech in a lot of others, though. I guess I don't really know *what* I am!***
*** -- Free straight line for anybody who wants to take advantage of it. ;)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My wife does more devices than I do, digitally speaking. It does seem that it is almost a wash in terms of time, money, and effort spent against benefits gained. That's arguable. I'd probably be bitterly unhappy if I couldn't use the various digital resources, but with others, there's cost with little or no benefit, or diminishing benefit. So much technology requires extensive learning curve, and then the whole platform is removed and you start all over again. You could do a lot with the time spent learning defunct systems. It makes vast money for someone else in the meantime. Techies as the new Robber Barons, in their cutsie t-shirts and turtlenecks instead of vested suits and top hats. As with the original Robber Barons, a lot of self-delusion going on as well. Is it progress? Do we know? Is progress good?

Status
Not open for further replies.