PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Quiet so! It's actually about the third time I've seen that particular aberration, typo, whatever it's called. I can't not see such things, including every gratuitous apostrophe I see on the 'Net.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Greetings all:
When Greg Pease proposed the line up for this month's crawl, my first inclination was to ask if we could substitute Quiet Nights, since it was already in my rotation and is one of my all time favorite blends. It is one of the few blends I buy in 8 oz cans and I have more QN cellared than any other blend. I quickly decided that wouldn't be fair to those of you who had not had the opportunity to enjoy this fabulous blend.
I first learned about Quiet Nights from Jeremy Reeves, former salesman at SmokingPipes and now master blender for C&D. I was looking for Penzance and Jeremy recommended Quiet Nights as an equally good alternative. He thought so highly of it, that he said he would buy back my 8 oz order for his personal use, if I didn't love it after trying a bowl or two.
I immediately fell in love with QN and it has been a staple ever since. The blend is so well balanced that I have difficulty pulling out the constituent parts. It is a Latakia forward mix but the Lat is gentle and doesn't assault the senses. The Virginias and Perique are the condiments.
Some pipe tobaccos reach a point of such excellence that it becomes silly to argue that one is better than another. Choosing one over another is simply a matter of personal preference in general, and time, environment, social circumstances and mood in particular. There are several Latakia blends that I rotate through that are perfect, therefore, by definition, can't be improved. For me, Squadron Leader, SG Navy Flake, Penzance, Magnum Opus, Rich Dark Flake and Quiet Nights are such blends. I think I may be adding Sextant to this list, as well.
There is a recurrent theme on this site, appearing in numerous threads, discussing the merits of Penzance with queries as to possible alternatives. In my opinion, QN does so quite nicely. Quiet Nights can't replace Penzance but they are similar in many regards. On the other hand, neither can Penzance replace Quiet Nights.
Pardon me for quoting myself but the following is from a thread discussing the topic.
Subjectively speaking, for some smokers, Penzance has no equals. But that is a matter of taste. Good taste maybe, but still a matter of personal preference. Other smokers, just as legitimately, claim that their favorite blend have no equals: Escudo, Pirate Kake, Squadron Leaders, Balkan Sobranie, Prince Albert, and Carter Hall smokers also have loyal aficionados that for them, has no equals.
Objectively speaking, however, there are many blends the equal of Penzance. Penzance ingredients are of no higher quality than most premium blends, and the skill of the Esoterica blenders, no better than many others master blenders. I've yet to hear a convincing objective argument that proves Penzance superior to other blends. I am convinced that for some Penzance smokers, it can't be replaced. For my tastes, it has many equals.....
Is QN better than Penzance because it is readily available? Yes, in the same way that the girl from next door is better than the playboy centerfold. One is loyal, available, attainable, and delivers. The other might be great if you can get her - but even if you did, it wouldn't be unusual to go back to the girl next door.
Please note that I'm not trashing Penzance. I love it, too. But I've smoked Penzance and Quiet Nights in informal, back-to-back blind tests and was just as likely to choose QN as Penzance.
Until last night, I hadn't smoked QN in a month, because we've been busy smoking other GLP blends in the crawl. I purchased a few Stanwell estate pipes from our friend, mrlowercase and last evening loaded up a Stanwell 64m,pictured below. It took only a couple of draws to remind me of what I'd been missing. It felt like I was coming home from an overseas tour.
This morning I smoked the blend in a Stanwell 63M, also picture below. Both of the Stanwells performed magnificently. Troy, aka mrlowercase, took the pics and wrote the captions below.

"Stanwell 64M...an incredible blast and is a very fine example of the classic 64 shape executed to near perfection, M military mount version. An older Reg. Number pipe. Vulcanite stem.Around 5 1/2"46g

Stanwell 63M Flame Grain(modern era, acrylic stem, one of the last from this higher line to be made in Denmark, and hard-to-find in the USA, I found one from a German shop back when I was in the midst of my Stanny frenzy) (Note by Troy aka mrlowercase)

A Stanwell Rook, made in Denmark.(I haven't yet smoked this one but it is on deck.)

One from the freehand Chess series, this pipe lives up to its namesake,made for contemplation, when in hand the index finger rests wonderfully on top edge over-hang, chimney-like tall and narrow bowl. Lightly smoked. Acrylic stem.
Around 6 1/2" long

67.4g

atskywalker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 23, 2015
Canada
I had 2 bowls of QN last night and I'm having one as I write this. The first thing that struck me as I lit my first bowl and took a couple of draws was "What's in this??". I'm used to Latakia assaulting my senses in a certain way. It didn't happen with QN although I could sense that there's much Latakia here. Then wave after wave of taste began to hit me. Woodsy notes so incense like and so nice made me think that my pipe is on fire (technically it is, right?) followed by salty sweet tastes so balanced, so subtle I had to pay full attention to understand what these sensations are. Fig like notes rear their head every now and then reminding me of the presence of an invisible yet omniscient force within the walls of my bowl - Perique. What can I say? I think I now know why people call Greg Lord Latakia! Well done.
QN is a luxurious and complex blend. I have never tasted anything quite like Quiet Night before in a pipe or in anything else.
Questions for Greg

1. I was surprised by that Salty/Sweet taste in Sextant and thought thats just my mind playing tricks on me but then found it again in QN. Where does that come from? Also, are the woodsy notes from the Turkish/Oriental? [/*]
  2. Although I can sense Latakia aplenty in QN it has been somehow subdued. Is this due to certain leaf selection or is the mix somehow restraining its sharpness?[/*]
  3. In your mind, what is the Perique adding to this mix? How was QN as it evolved if there was a stage where it didn't have Perique?[/*]
Thank you!

jaydublin

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 11, 2015
This is my first bowl from my first tin of Quiet Nights. Purchased from SP for the crawl. Loaded it lightly rubbed out and loosely packed in a Peterson 03.
There is a quality of flavor here that is unique. Is it the orientals? Fantastic. Really a bold experience. Does remind me of NightCap in its big Lat impact up front. But in this first bowl I think it is has more richness throughout all the ingredient leaf. It seems more present - like the leaf is of a more specific nature than NightCap. It's as if NightCap is mass produced and this is made with more selectivity and purity. Could that quality just be the process of producing y fia similar blend but as a flake?
High-end NightCap is my first impression. But then there is this other flavor and fragrance I mentioned initially. It's like a large mammal has snuck up right behind me while I am hiking in Grand Teton National Forest. This bear/moose/elk just had a nice cleansing bath in preparation for the Westminster Large Mammal Show, so it's a fragrance as opposed to an odor. Would love to know from more knowledgable smokers or Mr. Pease if this nuance is likely coming from the turkish/orientals? I don't think it is the perique or the VAs. Maybe the latakia is unique some way? Or maybe, again, it is just the melding through the pressing of the cakes. Regardless, it was this quality that made me put down my pipe and start typing.
Pardon my odd attempt at interpretation. It IS great stuff.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Thanks, both brass and jay (—and GL Pease and company!) The two posts captured my thoughts especially on the occasional sweetish flavor that comes through. And the questions for Greg are great, too. I tried a bit of side-by-side smoking with Penzance in the other pipe. First bowls of each in the respective pipes, so there may have been a touch of ghosting from other recent trials. At one point I thought, oh, Penzance is a touch better. At quite another point, Quiet Nights took the blue ribbon.
Studying this matter won't exactly be hard work. Defining the results will be for me, but I plan on smoking 3-4 bowls of each in dedicated pipes, a couple a day of both. Some back to back, some alternating lights, letting the pipe go out after ten minutes or so. If anyone has tips on this kind of experimentation, I am all ears.

glpease

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 17, 2010
California
I was surprised by that Salty/Sweet taste in Sextant and thought thats just my mind playing tricks on me but then found it again in QN. Where does that come from? Also, are the woodsy notes from the Turkish/Oriental?
Although I can sense Latakia aplenty in QN it has been somehow subdued. Is this due to certain leaf selection or is the mix somehow restraining its sharpness?
In your mind, what is the Perique adding to this mix? How was QN as it evolved if there was a stage where it didn't have Perique?
I figured I'd start with these interesting questions, the first of which I have no real answer for...
That sweet/salty thing, the sort of yin/yang of the tao of mixtures, is something I've never been able to find an explanation for. Some mixtures have it, and others don't, and it remains puzzling. There's nothing in tobacco that should stimulate the salt receptors on the tongue, as far as I've been able to ascertain, and yet it clearly happens. More puzzling is that it doesn't happen in every case with every smoker. My guess, and it's just that, is that there's some sort of jiggery pokery going on with other flavors, or perhaps aromas, since they're so much more important to our overall perception of flavor, that triggers memories of saltiness. Another possibility is that the tendency for latakia to be drying to some people might result in a certain degree of dehydration in the mouth, which could cause the salt receptors to fire more readily from the sodium naturally present in saliva. But, that's all just a bunch of hand-waving. It might be interesting to correlate those who do experience the saltiness with those who also experience the drying effect of latakia-heavy mixtures. I should apply for a grant. ;)
As for the "softness" of the latakia in QN, which has about 1.25% more of the smoky stuff than Sextant has, it's the result, again, of both the constituent tobaccos in the blend and the processing. Like Sextant, QN spends a fortnight on the squeeze, allowing the tobaccos to ferment a little, while also distributing some of the oils and water soluble flavor components throughout the block, equilibrating them to some extent in the mix, while the stickier, more tenaciously bound compounds remain where they started. Then, when the tobacco is sliced and tinned, the more volatile components start flying around inside their little hermetic chamber, resulting in a different sort of equilibrium over time. The very same tobaccos blended as ribbons would yield a very different result. Which sort of leads to your next question...
QN is an evolution, in a sense, of Blackpoint, which is a ribbon cut mixture that's very similar in its formulation. When I did BP, we didn't have the ability to make real flakes, but I was always intrigued by the idea of what it would be like pressed and sliced. I played around with it, making various cakes from it, and felt it was something worth exploring when the ability to do real flakes came to the factory.
A diversion: Most people may already know this, but for those who don't, here's a little discussion about flakes vs. crumbles vs. ribbon cut.
When ribbon cut tobacco is pressed into a block, and that block is sliced, the rubbed out slices will produce small particles of tobacco due to the fact that most of the ribbons are not likely to find themselves parallel to the blade when the slices are cut. In order to make a real flake, strips of the lamina, that part of the leaf that is not the midrib, are laid out flat in layers to make up the blend, then pressed into blocks. When these slices are rubbed out, the strands will be as long as the piece of the leaf from which they were cut. In fact, this is exactly how ribbon cut tobacco is made, but the blocks of leaf are not subjected to as much pressure, nor are they held for any length of time. These "cheeses" are cut and tumbled until they fall apart into strands. The larger the leaf pieces, and the more carefully they are layered, the longer the ribbons can be. In days of olde, ribbons tended to be longer because leaf was de-stemmed largely by hand. Today, a process called threshing separates the lamina from the rib, but it tends to leave the lamina in smaller pieces which results in shorter ribbons.
Back to the subject...
With the ability to do real flakes in house, I revisited the old Blackpoint experiments, and Quiet Nights was the result. So, the question becomes what was the evolution of BP, and did it ever not have perique in it?
Blackpoint came about as a result of a day when I was visiting a friend, and he opened a very old cutter top tin of Balkan Sobranie 759. I will never forget the first whiff of that tobacco. I could swear I smelled perique in it, even though I knew, or was at least fairly certain it contained none. But, something happened to the tobaccos in that tin over 30 or 40 years that produced similar aromas. I went home that night and started working on it, hoping to capture some of that essential character, and perique was an important part of the equation.
The trick then was trying to mentally turn back the clock, to try to imagine what that blend might have been like when it was first blended. An impossible task, to say the least, but after years of exploring aged and aging tobaccos, I at least had a few clues, a few signposts that provide some direction. The final formula came about fairly quickly, and BP was born in March 2003. Seven years later, QN saw its first light. That said, the curious might enjoy trying the two side-by-side to see just how much influence the big squeeze has on a tobacco's character. And, yes, BP's latakia "presence" is a little sharper, a little more powerful than QN's, at least when the tins are young and fresh.
There's the backstory, and another one in the bargain. QN has been one of my personal faves from the day I tasted the final prototype, especially in the cooler months. For me, it's not a summer mixture, but one that's really at home on quiet, misty evenings when a contemplative smoke can be the perfect balm to tame the chill and soothe the spirit.

atskywalker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 23, 2015
Canada
Thank you Greg! I find myself waking up in the morning thinking about my QN bowl. I think I can safely say I'm now a reformed Latakia basher. I do feel the same way about it in that its not a summer mixture. I also love that Sweet/salt taste (I can also taste it on the stem sometimes!).
I've been rubbing QN well since I started smoking it but today in the morning I decide to cube cut it (its not really cube-able given the cut - so I just cut chunks). Like everything when it becomes denser it smokes for a lot longer. I also noticed that woodsy notes became more prominent and overall the intensity of the tastes was dialled down. Maybe that's a desirable thing for some people but I personally think rubbing produces a more flavourful smoke albeit shorter.
I'll be cellaring this treasure and it will probably be a staple through fall, winter, and most likely spring. I have no idea how something so good can be better with age but I'm all for surprises.
When it comes to tobacco I'm like a child who can't stop asking questions to his favourite uncle :D so here I go again!
More Questions for Greg:

- What would be the stations, aging wise, for QN (short and long terms)?

- Latakia seems to dry my mouth as you guys indicated. Any pointers as to how to maintain the system so I can continue smoking without interruption :puffy: ?

- I often read on your site (when you mention a new blend) references to preparing the label art. Do you actually do them yourself? Is that another side of you?

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
Quiet Nights first thoughts. Tin note I pick up a smoky BBQ scent. I choose to rub this out and let it dry for 20 minutes before loading my cob. Took a flame very easily. Delicious leather and wood notes like you're outside in the woods in the fall after the leaves have fallen. The latakia is smooth not as sharp as in Westminster. Some Vitamin N but not tons; just the right level for an all day smoke. This will be replacing Westminster in my English rotation....good solid smoke; smooth with no bite with just enough body to keep the taste interesting through several bowls in a day. I agree with others in that this is made for fall/winter smoking.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
'Tis the season, then!
I left off a bowl about half way last night, and fired it up first thing this morning! Quite a morning; it was smooth and tasty!

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
Haven't had any latakia to speak of in months, and this thread has me thinking it's time to break out some Quiet Nights. I've got a bunch jarred up. Two winters ago I smoked through 4 oz of 7-8 year old Blackpoint, and those smokes have become sort of a peak experience for bigger latakia blends for me. I've not had the same luck with Quiet Nights, but I'm going to try.

swhipple

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 2, 2011
When I first smelled this blend I instantly had an insight into where the name derives from, it smells like almost exactly like my home does when we have a fire in the fireplace and that has burned low with only a glowing embers left. It’s reminiscent of that quiet moment when the room is dark, lit only in shades of orange with only the occasional spark form the burning logs to interrupt stillness.
This is a mild and easy smoking blend. The moisture level seems just right out of the tin and once it’s lit it burns steadily and smoothly. The taste is mild and peaceful as well. It has a gentle sweetness and a hint of smokiness. I’m not sure I would call it an English blend mostly because I tend to associate those with more Latakia forward blends and in quiet nights the smokiness is kept in the background.
I’ve tried it both cube cut and more rubbed out and I think I prefer it cubed so far at least.
I think I will be buying more of this one. It’s just a pleasant smoke. It won’t knock you down with over the top flavors or nicotine but it is deeply satisfying to me in a quiet and calm almost meditative way.

glpease

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 17, 2010
California
More Questions for Greg:

- What would be the stations, aging wise, for QN (short and long terms)?

- Latakia seems to dry my mouth as you guys indicated. Any pointers as to how to maintain the system so I can continue smoking without interruption :puffy: ?

- I often read on your site (when you mention a new blend) references to preparing the label art. Do you actually do them yourself? Is that another side of you?
As with any latakia mixture, the first five years will show the greatest difference, with significant changes after the first year or two, slowing down a little until the five year point. After that, it will continue to evolve, though more slowly. The clock ticks a little more slowly with flakes, but not dramatically so. After five years, the latakia will begin to soften more, and take more of a back seat to the other tobaccos. To some, those who want that latakia presence to be more dominant, this isn't a good thing. But, with a well balanced blend, as the latakia softens, the orientals and virginias, in this case bolstered by the perique's influence, will add broader dimensions to the overall effect. Personally, I love very well aged mixtures, providing they weren't overly dependent on the latakia in the first place. The complexity increases, and the experience is a little richer, and to me, increasingly interesting and even exciting.
The drying effect can be helped with the right beverages. Teas are great, partly because of their acidity, which tends to mitigate the alkaline aspects of some tobaccos, and even plain water can be beneficial for helping to keep the palate fresh.
And, yes, I have done all the labels myself, with the exception of Key Largo and Maltese Falcon, which were both done by a very talented professional designer, and the artwork for the limited edition NASPC blends, which has always been done by others, though I've done the layout and typography. The labels have evolved a lot over the years, from the original, very simple ones to the more elaborate layered images on the more recent tins, notably in the Old London Series. With the Virginia Cream, I wanted to take a completely different approach. I spent hours looking for just the right typeface, developing the concept, and manipulating the type. I'm not a pro, so it takes me forever to get what's in my head onto the page, but it's actually a lot of fun for me, and I enjoy being involved in the entire creative process from start to finish.

glpease

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 17, 2010
California
Question for Greg: If I may ask, what percent of Latakia is in Sextant vs. Odyssey (ratio comparison)? I'm also assuming the Latakia leaf in both is more or less of the same variety?
Odyssey has about 1.5x the latakia as Sextant does, but there's always more to the picture than just percentages. Story time...
When I introduced Westminster, I was at a small show in California, talking to a fellow who was smoking the sample I offered, and really enjoying it. He said that he was really tired of all these latakia mixtures that had 50% or more [emphasis his] latakia in them Anything over 30% was just ridiculous! THIS was the way a mixture should taste! After he was well into the bowl, I told him that Westminster had more than 50%, though not much more. It's how it works with the OTHER tobaccos that makes the difference. He was shocked. I do think there's an upper limit to how much latakia can be balanced by other tobaccos, and that limit is probably in the 60% range, which is about where the original Balkan Sobranie 759 lived. (Once Gallaher started producing it, they fairly shortly reduced it to about 45%, but did it in measured steps so that people would acclimate to the change over time. The regular white label similarly went from close to 50% down to about 35%. That's why, when people ask me what I make that's most like Sobranie, I ask, "Which vintage?")
The problem with too much of the stuff is that it can easily cause sensory fatigue, resulting in a decrease in perceived flavor during the smoke. This is also why more delicate tobaccos can end up tasting like hot air after a bowl or two of a really beefy mixture. And, it's why it's important to keep hydrated during smoking sessions, especially with heavy mixtures. Teas, because of their relative acidity and low oil content, help to keep the palate fresh, while strong coffee can actually make things worse in some cases. I digress...
More apropos to the question, Sextant's latakia is tempered somewhat by the processing, the other tobaccos in the mix, and the rum topping. If everything but the rum were there, and the tobaccos weren't pressed and fermented in cakes, the latakia would be more pronounced.
I think Wilderness is the only blend that Ive had, that I can trust, that has Syrian in it. Although it does have Cypriot Latakia, Was mixing the two latakias together a common practice 20 to 40 years ago?
That's a great question. Though I don't have any evidence to support it, my suspicion has always been that once the Syrian government initiated the moratorium on its production in ca. 1960, manufacturers began using Cyprian and Syrian, gradually increasing the former while decreasing the latter in order to allow customers to adapt to the new leaf over time. But, I don't think anyone then used both intentionally for their relative contributions to the overall experience.
Syrian wasn't again available in any quantity until about 1999, I started working with it under the F&P brand, but the only blend that was brought to market with Syrian in it was Inverness. When I launched the GLPease brand in 2000, I did three blends using both; Renaissance, Mephisto and Raven's Wing. It wasn't until a shipment of really remarkable Syrian was made available that I did Bohemian Scandal. That's the same stuff we lost in the fire, and that McClelland are still using. (Mike was smart enough to secure a decent stock of it and lock it in a secure warehouse.) It was/is extraordinary leaf.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
No problems here. With Quiet Nights taking over the thread and so many great questions being asked I figured the topic might come back up.
I'm just glad I haven't had much experience with Syrian Latakia, so it's not something I'll miss.
Another Question I hear so many different orientals being mentioned on tins, which orientals are used in Sextant and Quiet Nights? Or is that a trade secret? Do you prefer certain orientals over others in your blends?

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
More G.L.Pease tobaccos and reviews
If you like blends smoked thus far in this month's crawl, you may be interested in exploring more of the G.L. Pease catalog. The following link leads to a thread discussing and describing many G.L. Pease blends including several reviews written by Kevin, our Pipes Magazine editor.
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/gl-pease-tobaccos#post-864762

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I opened a bottle of Johnny Walker Double Black to celebrate the Redskins historic 24 point comeback to beat the Tampa Bucks. The blend is aged in heavily charred casks, enhancing the intense, peaty, spicy flavor. The blend derives more smoke from the inclusion of two superb single malts: Caol Ila from Islay and Talisker from the Isle of Skye.
I drink mostly single malts but only when I can give them my full attention or when entertaining. I like blended scotches when I just want to chill. Some of the best blended scotches can vie with the best of the single malts, e.g. Buchanan 18 year old. I'm not going to claim that JWDB is in the same class as Buchanan but it certainly is as good as Pinch, Chivas Regal or most other well known premium blended scotches.
I smoked a bowl of Quiet Nights with Double Black last night and it was marvelous. I was concerned that the smoky flavor from the Latakia and the Islay gold wouldn't work because they were so similar. However, they complemented each other BEAUTIFULLY, each enhancing the smokey quality of the other. Unlike many Islay single malt scotches, the drink didn't overwhelm the tobacco.
I later tried a bowl of McClelland Old Dominion Maduro with a double Double Black and that was almost as good. I need to re-order a few tins of G.L. Pease Key Largo and Robusto, both fine cigar leaf blends, and give them a try.
This was an excellent pairing and I was very happy to have them both available to help celebrate one of the most memorable games the Redskins have played in recent times.
Double Black and Quiet Nights will be partnered in my home for many years to come - God willing.
Hope you all had a good weekend and I look forward to your posts. Don't forget to acquire a tin or so of GLP Virginia Cream so that you have it on time for next week's crawl. (If you missed it, we extended the crawl a week just so as to include Greg's newest blend.)
https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-15667.aspx

Status
Not open for further replies.