Occupation Title 'Fountain Girl': What Is It?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Just filling in some census data for one of my many American families and I found one of my female cousins employed as a 'fountain girl' as shown below....

1940 census for Maxine Snow living at St George, Washington County, Utah is thus

EDWARD VERNON SNOW.....HEAD.....AGE 51......FARMER (GRAIN & LIVESTOCK).....OWN ACCOUNT
LUCILLE SNOW.....WIFE.....AGE 51
RICHARD SNOW.....SON....AGE 23....UN-MARRIED.....FARMER ON HOME FARM
MAXINE SNOW.....DAU.....AGE 19......FOUNTAIN GIRL AT ICE CREAM PARLOUR <------------------
SYLVIA SNOW.....DAU.....AGE 17
LUCILLE SNOW.....DAU.....AGE 15
ARTHUR SNOW.....SON....AGE 12

....might some kind soul fill me in with what a 'fountain girl' might actually do? Does she operate some kind of tap perhaps?

Thanks in advance chaps.

Regards,

Jay.

stevecourtright

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2018
Evanston, IL
Sadly, and sorry to say, "Fountain Girls" had nothing to do with soda. Fountain Girls were hired to stand in their bathing suits at a fountain in the town square to hawk cigarettes and samples of chewing gum. Often said Fountain Girls did this as a second job during the day time while working as a chorus girl in the evening. There are stories that Hollywood agents would hire Fountain Girls as seconds in movies, so it was often a way to work your way into the Entertainment Business.

Actually, I just made that up.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My mind raced. I though she might keep a public ornamental fountain clean. The plain tip-off was the "ice cream parlour," and I love the "u" in that. When I was a kid, it was just parlor. Yup, she served the sodas, milkshakes, ice cream scoops and sundaes, and whatever else they served. But it is kind of poetic, a fountain girl!

Reactions: ofafeather

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Good to see you sticking your head up from your radio and posting again Jay!"

Hi Mike, I have far too many hobbies for my own good!

You'll have to update me on the Tecsun.....assuming it has reached you!

Regards,

Jay.?

Reactions: Bowie

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
"Good to see you sticking your head up from your radio and posting again Jay!"

Hi Mike, I have far too many hobbies for my own good!

You'll have to update me on the Tecsun.....assuming it has reached you!

Regards,

Jay.?

I will update you when it arrives Jay. Almost a month from the shipped date, and still no sign of it. Really throws a wet blanket over starting a new hobby!

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
I will update you when it arrives Jay. Almost a month from the shipped date, and still no sign of it. Really throws a wet blanket over starting a new hobby!
the postal times to the states are very slow as has already been stated,you are not alone in waiting on parcels :( but hopefully it will arrive eventually

Status
Not open for further replies.