PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rpink53

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 31, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA
I received this a couple days ago. Ebay purchase.

There is a complete obstruction that I cannot get out. I successfully removed the stem and confirmed airflow is good.

I can pass a pipe cleaner until the bend, and it being such a small pipe, I can't get to the obstruction through bowl. Soaked in hot water and removed a significant amount of cake, but no improvement.

Any suggestions? Thank you

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Lets start over. You have a beautiful meer there. Be gentle in what you do and if all else fails (before you break it) send it to Briarville or who ever you trust to work on meers. Just sayin...

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Firstly if the obstruction is not in the stem, I'd remove the amber (?) stem before proceeding.

Second: are you able to draw air? The hole from the bowl is often not necessarily flush with the passage in the shank. Are you able to pass a pipe cleaner out through the bowl and into the passage (occasionally the opposite will not work as they might not be flush)?

If the passage is not straight there is no easy way to remedy this, and I have several Meerschaum pipes that require cleaning "from both ends" and often require a sharp bend at the tip as described above.

If the passage is congested with material, I have found it useful to use the smallest gauge nylon pipe brush available, as they are the most flexible, and use the tip (the exposed twin wire head, not the bristles) to gently grind down any obstructing material while flushing often with water. I like to use a syringe which provides a good forceful blast.

Screenshot_20210223-214748.png

Status
Not open for further replies.