PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonahtke

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2012
There is a term listed in this article regarding pipe smoking and I thought I'd share:
http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/195348/18-obsolete-words-which-should-have-never-gone-out-of-style/

oklansas

Can't Leave
Apr 16, 2013
DC
I read that article awhile back as well, I think my favorite at the time was Groak (To silently watch someone while they are eating, hoping to be invited to join them). There is a whole thread on Lunt and Lunting started a bit back. There is quite a vocabulary of obsolete and archaic pipe terms out there.
If you're interested, I've also posted some other "obsolete" tobacco and pipe related terms:
#1 - Lunt

#2 - Kinnikinnick

#3 - Estaminet & Chasse

#4 - Obsolete Tabacco Terms

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
If you're interested, I've also posted some other "obsolete" tobacco and pipe related terms:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
In other words don't groak at my lunting. There ain't enough room here for the both of us.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
On a serious note, I think all of this stuff is pretty cool and could turn into a nice article for the main website.

oklansas

Can't Leave
Apr 16, 2013
DC
I think all of this stuff is pretty cool and could turn into a nice article for the main website.
Yes!
Although, it might interesting if they were to work in some of the customs that have gone out of fashion.

Jul 15, 2011
I think there are 2 words that are woefully absent from this list: "Donnybrook, which indicates an argument, fight, or skirmish, and "Fisticuffs", which indicates...well, pretty much the same thing as Donnybrook. I use these two words as much as I can on a daily basis, which sadly isn't enough.

locopony

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 7, 2011
Fisticuffs actually refers to a fist fight. I guess when the Donnybrook gets physical. And I use it all the time . The word fisticuffs that is.

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I always think it's funny the terms that we used to use way back when that were related to ethnicity or nationality and even funnier when propaganda eliminated common usages that are now frimly back in use... i.e. freedom fries and liberty cabbage, etc. Some of them still get thrown around, but it's always fun to hear something out of the blue that makes you think, "What?" that isn't some newfangled (also a fun word seldom used) term invented on the internet yesterday. Take care...

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
What about words that people commonly use that technically don't even exist? I heard someone say slickery the othe day when the hallway flooded and I could not stop laughing. Also a personal pet peeve people who say irregardless... ir and less mean the same thing as far as a prefix and a suffix; does this make the word a double negative? Or how about flammable and inflammable and enflammable all meaning the same thing. Wow this is giving me a ginormous headache. :wink: See what I did there? :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.