New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
It’s important to remember that Obsidian doesn’t remove oxidation but it can protect it from returning. HOWEVER, I have found that it is never really safe to go smoking in direct sunlight with Charatons or Upshalls. Any of those stems that have aged or been previously restored even with Obsidian Oil will begin to oxidize. For that reason, I am outfitting my Charatan pipes with newer stems just for smoking. I’ll keep the original stems in a drawer. I’ve done this with other pipes for the same reason. Briarworks can make a comfort stem with the CS on the stem. It looks original.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
I've noticed a trend of stems that I've burned the oxidation off of not reoxidizing. I wonder if they are somehow chemically changed.
I’ve noticed that as well. However my Charatan pipes seem to resist staying black if presented with hot desert light even after a burn and oil rub. Have you noticed anything like that with high sulphur vulcanite?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I’ve noticed that as well. However my Charatan pipes seem to resist staying black if presented with hot desert light even after a burn and oil rub. Have you noticed anything like that with high sulphur vulcanite?
I would assume that a Linkman's made in the 1930s wouldn't have the greatest quality vulcanite, but since burning the oxidation off a few years ago, it hasn't discolored.

20220410_145748.jpg20220410_145758.jpg

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
I've never asked. I do know Obsidian Oil is not mineral oil.
Vitamin E is soluble in mineral oil and has UV blocking properties. I assume everyone will correct me if I’m wrong. I do use obsidian oil but I started running out, and thought I’d try mineral oil as a cheap alternative. Not that obsidian oil is expensive, but anything pipe related coming across the border is often subject to randomly applied draconian customs penalties and I’m getting fed up with that. ($60 for 2 MM stems???!) Anyway, I’ll go on using mineral oil and hopefully all my stems don’t turn into sulfurous green sludge. If they do I'll post on it and you can all tell me I should have used obsidian oil.

Last edited:

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
I use the stuff regularly. High sulfur stems seem to still want oxidize just a bit after multiple smokes in the same day though. How often do y’all use it on your pipes?

TexJake

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2022
Hill Country, TX
I will usually wipe the stem with either a microfiber cloth or an unscented baby wipe after I’ve smoked. If I put things away hastily, I’ll spend a few minutes the next day wiping off more than one. After I’ve wiped the stem, I’ll put a few drops of Obsidian Oil on them and rub it all over. The next day, or end of week, or whenever, I’ll pick up the pipes that I haven’t wiped the oil off of, give the stems a quick gentle swipe with a cloth and then put the pipe in its slot in the drawer.

It took me about 3 times longer to type this out than it does to actually do the task, and this makes it sound like I’m a little crazy with this regimen, but it’s really just a quick swipe with a wipe and then a couple drops of oil. I’ve not seen any reason to stop, and the stems look good. I would recommend it.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
ive been thinking of doing this. What is the longest you have left the oil on your stems?
I have left it on as much as 6 months to a year and I always get the same result. Not once have I have seen an inkling of oxidation. When I first began using it I followed the instructions about wiping it off in half an hour. When I saw how much I used and how small that bottle is I said screw this let me keep it on for a few months to see if worked just as well and it did. I can make a bottle last a long time. A while ago 2 or 3 of the big retailers were out of stick so of course I panicked bought 18 bottles.

When I see stuff I use get thin inventory wise I go balls to the walls and make sure I have enough. Running out for me is never an option any more. My BJ Long pipe cleaners that I use were scare for a bitYeah I thinkI bought about 50 packs of the tapered fluffies and the tapered bristled and have them stored in my closet. Again, I will never run out unless they go out of business. Once I get down to ten packs each I put in a big order.

A gentleman never runs out of the proper tools to keep his pipes in their best working order, it just isn't done.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I recommend it to prevent vulcanite stems from tarnishing. That or mineral oil. Some people swear by chapstick. More importantly, keep your vulcanite away from light, even indirect light. That'the best way to keep them shiny.

I use Obsidian oil because it has UV blockers. Also, it's made by forum member @hauntedmyst and I like to support a fellow pipe smoker. I think the instructions say to wipe off after 30 mins, but I've left it in overnight with no ill effect.
Probably a dumb question, but is all Obsidian oil made by @hauntedmyst or do I need to look somewhere in particular for the Obsidian oil he makes?