PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
A little mineral oil wiped onto the stem with a cloth after a smoke helps to keep them from oxidizing in the first place. Don't leave your vulcanite stems in direct sunlight. Toothpaste for removing oxidation. Obsidian oil is mineral oil with a bit of perfume added to it. It has a nice aroma if you like that sort of thing.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have been using nothing but Obidisian Stem Oil on my high quality German Vulcanite stems for a decade or more. The stuff is liquid gold.
I wipe a coat on the stem and leave it until I am ready to smoke that pipe again. I rub it off with a handi wipe and and my stems look brand new. It will not work for shit on the high sulfur stems from the old Upshalls or Savinelli's. I buy 8-10 bottles at a time and it always lasts a year or more. I never use mineral oil as it just doesn't do the job that Obidisian does in my experience.

isaac

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 18, 2012
Portland, OR
I have been using nothing but Obidisian Stem Oil on my high quality German Vulcanite stems for a decade or more. The stuff is liquid gold.
I wipe a coat on the stem and leave it until I am ready to smoke that pipe again. I rub it off with a handi wipe and and my stems look brand new. It will not work for shit on the high sulfur stems from the old Upshalls or Savinelli's. I buy 8-10 bottles at a time and it always lasts a year or more. I never use mineral oil as it just doesn't do the job that Obidisian does in my experience.

ive been thinking of doing this. What is the longest you have left the oil on your stems?

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Does obsidian oil really prevent oxidation of vulcanite stems? Should I be using it regularly?
I recommend it to prevent vulcanite stems from tarnishing. That or mineral oil. Some people swear by chapstick. More importantly, keep your vulcanite away from light, even indirect light. That'the best way to keep them shiny.

I use Obsidian oil because it has UV blockers. Also, it's made by forum member @hauntedmyst and I like to support a fellow pipe smoker. I think the instructions say to wipe off after 30 mins, but I've left it in overnight with no ill effect.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I don’t follow every rule Harry Hosterman taught me, while squatted on his haunches under the oak tree that still shades my father’s milk barn.

Harry kept his stems clean with olive oil and steel wool.

But I knew Harry would have used grapeseed oil, instead of olive oil, if Wilda Mae had that instead of olive oil in her kitchen.

While you might think Ozark Americans are regressive, hide bound conservatives the opposite is often true.

Harry used to talk about how much work using a cross cut two man saw was in Spout Spring Hollow, and I asked him when he and his father got their first chainsaw.

Harry quick as a wink he replied the first one I ever saw for sale.

I use Obsidian oil for stems.

It’s the best.

Harry Hosterman would approve!

tredjegæt

Lurker
Feb 10, 2022
Yeah it's good stuff. If I use it regularly I definitely notice a distinctive difference between using it and mineral oil. It's definitely mineral oil-based, and I'm pretty sure any oil-based protective barrier will protect from oxidation, but it's really good stuff.

Reactions: hauntedmyst

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Means his partner was 'leaning' on the saw. Gotta watch that...

If you like logging stories, look up 'Don't Call Me Ma' by Sam Churchill.
In 1978 my mother had me clean out an old granary and I found the family cross cut saw in the attic.

The only thing to do was take it straight over to the Hostermans, and Harry’s father remembered setting and sharpening it for my grandfather.

They pronounced it serviceable, and me and a friend went over to a small timber patch and used it to saw up most of one oak tree.

We finished up the tree with a chainsaw.

Cross cut saws, are a lot of work.:)

Reactions: FLDRD and elessar

dino

Lifer
Jul 9, 2011
Chicago
As I've said before, I use Flitz and elbow grease to clean the oxidation, and seal it with Obsidian. If the stem is terribly green, I start with Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, then Flitz, then Obsidian.

Reactions: Elric