PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BuckChickman

Lurker
Jul 23, 2020
Upstate NY
Anyone ever use a little Obsidian on briar? I don't have a buffer and usually use Paragon but I'm working on a Rhodesian with a lot of crevices and dents that the wax hardens into. I used some Obsidian with a soft cloth and it really brought out the grain...the only downside was a slight tackiness that's steadily going away. Curious of the long-term effects and whether anyone's tried this.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
If Paragon is giving you problems with build up in crevices, try its sister, Halcyon II. That one is formulated for use on sandblasts and other irregular surfaces. It works quite well without building up in crevices.
Agree it's the best there is for a rustic or sandblast.
Obsidian oil results will not last.. and you're going to gunk up the exterior of your pipe.

Tommy Boy

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 28, 2020
Michigan
Both seem pricey for such small jars but you only need a tiny amount. They do work wonders and are easy to use. I have had a jar of both for over a year and barely put a dent into the tiny jars.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Both seem pricey for such small jars but you only need a tiny amount. They do work wonders and are easy to use. I have had a jar of both for over a year and barely put a dent into the tiny jars.
On their website they sell a large jar of the Halcyon II. ?

Reactions: ofafeather

BuckChickman

Lurker
Jul 23, 2020
Upstate NY
Thanks all -- I've used Paragon for years and have been meaning to pick up Halcyon for the less smooth pipes. The Obsidian was mostly an experiment but looked nice to me, and I'd heard of people using olive oil on briar in the past.

Reactions: BROBS

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
A small jar of Halcyon II lasted me for several years. And I used it on a hell of a lot of pipes...

If the wax gets into crevices and turns white, just blast it with a hair dryer or heat gun. It’ll wick out and thin. I use a horse hair shoe brush after applying it to buff it out.

Reactions: Casual and BROBS

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
Hmmm .... I guess I’ve only ever used Obsidian on vulcanite stems. I can’t see it doing any good for the wood. What others have said here makes sense to me.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
I have used Obsidian and as mentioned it doesn't last. I used Olive Oil for 15 years and that didnt last either but it caused no harm and is readily available. Common sense dictates a very light amount. Looks pretty for a few days...

Isn’t Obsidian oil just food grade mineral oil?

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I have used Obsidian and as mentioned it doesn't last. I used Olive Oil for 15 years and that didnt last either but it caused no harm and is readily available. Common sense dictates a very light amount. Looks pretty for a few days...

no one really knows but I believe so

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Agree it's the best there is for a rustic or sandblast.
Obsidian oil results will not last.. and you're going to gunk up the exterior of your pipe.

This correct. It's not for briar, it's for Vulcanite. Halcyon or Paragon work on briar. Put them both on with your hands, then leave the pipe to dry and buff off.

no one really knows but I believe so

Nope, not one drop of mineral oil is in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.