PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

soggycitybob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2013
Portland, OR
That is an interesting observation about obsidian oil. I have been wanting to try it but I may stick with my old tried and trues:
1. Olive oil has always worked extremely well. Shines and buffs very well.
2. Burt's Bees. I'll sometimes use Burt's Bees 'cause he actually makes it with beeswax. Much better than cruddy Chapstick.

vigil

Might Stick Around
Nov 12, 2013
I keep a half-pint of mineral oil around for my wood handled knives, cutting blocks, wooden spoons, etc in the kitchen. Tried it on a couple pipe bits and it works great. Just a drop on my fingers, rub it on the stems, wait 30 and buff them down with old T-shirt scraps. Wait a day and they're good to go.
Without the icky smell of ChapStick!

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
'cause he actually makes it with beeswax

"He" doesn't make anything. Burt Shavitz was bought out in 1993. The company left Maine, and a private equity firm took over. Clorox bought the company in 2007. All that is left is a ghost of a warm, fuzzy feeling.

aristokles

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2011
Yep vigil. I also am a mineral oil user, after de-oxidizing the stem of course. I have been tempted to try Obsidian but not yet yielded to temptation. And something about olive oil, even well buffed, turns me off with its ease of rancidity.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
I have thought about mineral oil, and cocunut would probably be okay if you don't mind tropical flavor, I don't think it would be to much of a problem. Does mineral oil leave a flavor after wiped off? I thought maybe my other problem is not letting the stems dry enough after oiling them.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
I love Obsidian Oil, never had a problem with it. I will also use Halcyon II on stems when waxing the pipe entirely.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Mineral oil is used in the food service industry to treat butcher block tables (biscuit prep) and I think it would certainly be safe for pipe stems. It is also dirt cheap! Obsidian oil looks and feels suspiciously like Mineral oil to me.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
snaag, sorry but when you totally misuse a product how can you come on here and bitch about it. It is totally unfair and in my opinion just plain wrong. I have been using Obidisian for almost 2 years now and it is the best product I have ever found for keeping my stems shiny. No it is not for deep cleaning a stem or cleaning it in any manner really. It is for keeping your stems shiny that is all. You also need such a tiny amount that you should never be tasting it. I put it on, let it sit 20-30 minutes, wipe it off and my high quality German Vulcanite stems look great. It even keeps my old sulphur laden British stems looking pretty good. A bottle lasts me over a year with a lot of use.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
Harris,

Sorry for offending you. Yes I started noticing the problem while I was using the product not as directed. But I have started using the product as directed,a couple drops, wipe it all over the stem, leave it on for 30 minutes and wipe it off with a clean rag. But I am still having the same problem. I guess I might just have personal sensitivity like you and red virginia's.

shutterbug

Can't Leave
Apr 12, 2013
Hell, if there's anyone who's qualified to talk about stems, it's Harris.

I use Obsidian oil, and haven't noticed any taste (or in this example, lack of taste in my tastebuds), even after I have forgotten to wipe it down in the half hour period.

Perhaps you're just having a reaction to it??

I remember reading that the maker specifically said it was foodsafe and that touching it to your lips is not toxic per se.
Shutterbug

mike73

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 20, 2013
The OP never bashed the product in the original statement. He only shared an epiphany with the forum of why he was having trouble tasting after using this product. Most men don't read instructions, maps, or ask for direction. Most of us learn from dumb mistakes like this and he was just sharing a warning. I am sure he is not the only one that has done this.

Reactions: MyCombOver

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I also have no trouble with obsidian oil, I use it and like it. It is possible that you have a sensitivity to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.