Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

frostyforge

Lurker
Mar 30, 2010
So after about 6 months of smoking Cobs, I decided to try a "real" pipe. We had chopped down a couple big oaks at my house, so I used a couple pieces from the biggest one. I'm borrowing the stem from one of my dad's old pipes til mine get here, other than that, the rest is hand made
DSCF0058.jpg

DSCF0056.jpg

DSCF0055.jpg

DSCF0054.jpg

DSCF0053.jpg

frostyforge

Lurker
Mar 30, 2010
pstlpkr: thanks, it smokes pretty good, half the bowl lasts around 30 minutes. No sir, I don't think it'll burn through, I cut the bowl out using a hole drill (I think thats what its called) and it left a hole at the bottom so I just lined the bottom with clay. I'll see if I can get a better pic of the inside up later
Bubba: about 2 hours to figure out how to keep the bowl from splitting, and then another day to let the glue, stain and clay dry

krgulick

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
A great looking pipe. I think it is great that you put the clay in the bottom. No doubt will keep the bottom from burning out if you kept it all oak. Hope it smokes well for you for years to come.

strongirish

Can't Leave
Aug 20, 2010
Lake Conroe, TX
You did a nice job on this pipe, but be careful of using woods other than briar. Many are poisonous or cause allergic reactions. Oak, if you have oak allergies and a lot of us do, can make you very sick. This is why most smoke briars. It is a nuetral and aong lasting wood.

frostyforge

Lurker
Mar 30, 2010
Thanks guys...

Strongirish: I don't have any wood allergies, got everything else, just not wood :P But thanks for the warning.

Well, I loaded up a full bowl today, and when I was about half way through, I started getting a weird taste in my mouth. The side of the bowl facing away from me had started to burn without me realizing it! I kept putting some water on it hopeing that would work...but no, now there's a rather large chunk burned out of the side :( I'll post some pictures when I get home. Is there anything I should've done to prevent it from burning up like that?

ernest

Can't Leave
Aug 31, 2010
What I did awhile back was if I made a pipe out of a wood that would burn,I would buy J.B.weld in any glue section and put two or three thin coats on the inside of the bowl with my finger.Use the long set type and not the quick set type.What it ends up being is a perfect insert that can handle a very high heat.If put in correctly there will not even be a problem with any wood shrinkage.Did about four pipes like this and was always amazed how well it worked.Coat the very top also to protect from lighting.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Several pipe makers I know use a mixture of one Tbs plain yogurt , One Tbs buttermilk and enough crushed activated charcoal to make a creamy mixture. This makes a fairly durable precarb .

frostyforge

Lurker
Mar 30, 2010
Wow, I was not expecting those types of preventive measures...especially not Unclearthur's, but hey, what've I got lose? Thanks ya'll, I'll probably try those out in a couple weeks after Karate dies down

Status
Not open for further replies.