Not open for further replies.

mlaug

Part of the Furniture Now
May 23, 2010
Iowa
Ban. It's for the children.
http://wnyt.com/article/stories/S3042421.shtml?cat=300

Dec 24, 2012
I personally don't have a problem with banning smoking in cars when kids are riding in the cars. This is just common sense, and in a perfect world I wish we didn't have to legislate common sense, but as Mark Twain said, the problem with common sense is that it's not common.
This has been the law in most provinces of Canada for some time.

mlaug

Part of the Furniture Now
May 23, 2010
Iowa
Yes, I'm not comfortable letting a smoking parent decide this sort of thing for themseleves. :roll:
After the magic age of fourteen them are immune to secondhand smoke?
This was something I didn't know. Good for them.

Dec 24, 2012
Yes, I'm not comfortable letting a smoking parent decide this sort of thing for themseleves.
Nor am I. I'm also not comfortable with letting a parent decide whether they will feed their kids or beat them, frankly.
The law only impacts people who don't exercise common sense.
I agree 14 is arbitrary.

dervis

Lifer
Jan 30, 2012
Hazel Green AL
At least NY cops will finally have something to do with all that extra time on their hands. And the empty court rooms and Judges can be busy as well. Cause not like there is anything in NY that Cops could probably spend their time on to maybe help kids in any other way. Those damn smokers and non-seatbelt wearers gotta pay!

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
This is a pretty funny article, since I remember as a track and cross country athlete in school that my parents would both smoke and keep the windows up (in the winter time). Let me tell ya, nothing like running 7 miles or running a few 100 and 400m heats and then getting into a smoke tank. I am more than positive it is THAT reason that both my sister and I never touched a cigarette in our lives.
From a reverse peer pressure standpoint, I had a few bowls in the Durango while on the road the other day. When my kids (10 yr old boy and 8 yr old girl) got in to go to soccer practice they could smell that I had smoked my pipe. They were then like "Papa, smoke your pipe, smoke your pipe." I told them no since they were in the car and they started giving me grief. How funny would that be to explain. "I'm sorry officer, I didn't WANT to smoke, but the two little ones in the back seat were really pressuring me" :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.