PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I was wondering, is there any way of knowing how many current/active members there are on the forum?
Perhaps a difficult one to quantify but thought I would ask anyway.
Regards,
Jay.

I'm sure Kevin would have an exact number, but many accounts lay dormant for so long, that I am not exactly sure how it would be calculated. We also get new members registering new accounts every day, but I don't see them posting much. So, we would have to define "active." I know that we get many more viewers than participants.
If you wanted an exact number, you could email Kevin. For me to get a number, I'd have to just go through and count, and if we have more than ten fingers members, I might start getting inaccurate.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Right now, at this moment GMT+4 5:45PM we have 11 active/online forum members. Other than that I can only see total number of members registered since the forum has been opened, however I am not going say it of course. As Cosmic mentioned we have to define "active". Someone posted a year ago, will come back tomorrow to post again and won't post in a year, is he active? How many posts do you have to post a day to be called as an active member? How do you define active pipe smoker? Are there even passive pipe smokers? What's the health effects of passive pipe smoking? You see, lots of questions to answer Jay.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Jay, are you wondering how many Christmas cards to buy this year?"
I don't do Christmas Michael. Four sisters, two daughters and six grand daughters gets very expensive!
I guess it was a pretty daft question to ask....but then I am known to have my daft moments while waiting for my meds to kick in :roll:
Regards,
Jay.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
A one time, years ago, Kevin posted some detailed statistics -- especially interesting was a longitudinal study of the number of unique hits per day (irrespective of membership). I'm sure he keeps tabs on these sorts of things to sell ad space. There is even a way for advertisers to track how many hits they received via links from this site. So, it's better for the magazine if you take a link to advertisers rather than using bookmarks, or typing-in URLs, etc.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I can see that the number would be very slippery, in defining active member. And I don't know if it would be to the advantage of Kevin, or for that matter members, to have it pinned down. Depending on how it was figured it could make the Forum membership look spare, or have it look pumped up, neither of which is to our benefit. I have a guesstimate in mind, but it is purely approximation so of no real value. There is a core of members who keep the place lit up and the show going, and many others who are short termers or occasional or rare posters. A considerable amount of the sales to sponsors likely comes from people who view but don't post or join. Also, many of the posts get picked up on Google and other searches on a vast array of subjects, pipes and otherwise. It would be pleasing to have a number, but like many numbers, it might be less than meaningful.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
/

MSO for congress!
:nana:
jay-roger.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Thanks, jaytex'; 16,480, an interesting number! I'm reading that as 1,648, but maybe we're looking two different places. Hmmm.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
It's a pretty large community, regardless ... and what pleases me most about it is that it's international.

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
The "Members" tab shows members and sorts them by when they last posted.

According to that page, about 720 different members have posted in the last month.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I guess it depends on your definition of active members. Some people are on here daily, others a couple times a week, and some check in a couple times a month, and some may be on regularly but are lurkers and not individuals that post comments. For me "active" would be someone that's on the forum a couple times a week every week. If that's what you're looking for I'll guess 96. :puffpipe:

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I wanna know how many members are still active from 2013 and prior!
I'm Damn near an original at this point!
Doesn't mean I ever have any decent information to bring to the table...

Status
Not open for further replies.