PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Law

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 1, 2020
Saudi Arabia
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

A couple of days ago I stumbled upon the world of Briar cigars.

One thing I have noticed is the design and the promise of cool, mobile, and quick smoke. One thing is, it really is as advertized. Such as the Morgan briar cigars. nearly every review I have seen about them are great, including the late Matches860. I have also stumbled upon Joyce Cigars which unfortunately the carver himself has stopped making them due to, from what I heard, finding a busier job and has no time in making them anymore. Needless to say, they look amazing. And from the very limited reviews, they also smoke great and are pretty easy to clean and smoke because of the design which has no stem, but a briar made with reverse calabash design with a sort of cigar punch hole at the end (Look them up, they are really a beauty)

So what is left? I have seen some pipe makers that have some really interesting designs, but is there a novelty waiting? We can all talk about the peterson systems, that is either a great novelty or a nightmare depending on who you ask. Falcon pipes are interesting and decently priced for what they are.

Your opinions gentleman? I may need a carver to make me one of those Joyce cigars...

Last edited by a moderator:

sumusfumus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2017
New York City
Got a friend with a wood/metal lathe, or, a drill press? Making a cigar-pipe is one of the easiest turning jobs for even an rank amateur wood worker. We might call it a "cigar-pipe"....but aside from the actual shape and end-use....it's nothing more than a dowel, with a hole bored into one end.

Order a undrilled block of briar, from one of the many suppliers, or, just do a search for a hardwood dowel and drill and shape/whittle your own cigar pipe. Many hardwoods can be used for making this "pipe-cigar", e.g. *Olivewood, *Bocote, Bubinga, Purple Heart, Cherry, Pearwood, Maple, *Cocobolo, *Ebony, *Bloodwood, etc. Check out: Bell Forest Products for either exotic hardwood dowels, or, turning squares..... located in the "Exotic Wood Blanks" section. (bellforestproducts.com) Make your own customized, cheroot! Note: Woods marked with * will last forever. Rockler.com also lists hardwood dowels.

Any competent pipe-maker can easily fabricate one of these cigar-shaped pipes from briar, and even fit it with a short stem. However...anyone with the ability to drill a hole into wood.....can make a cigar shaped pipe.

Good luck if you decide to make your own "cigar".

Reactions: Law

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
First that I’ve heard about the briar cigar. Looked it up... Somewhat a novelty, but an interesting niche nonetheless. I like pipes and I like cigars, but together... maybe, perhaps... I don’t know.

Reactions: anotherbob

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I used to think all the holiday pipes were novelties. Cob pipes too. Then smoking them, they were well made and smoked fine. Not sure if those cigar pipes are novelties. Per people using them, they smoke well and looks great.

Law

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 1, 2020
Saudi Arabia
A couple of days ago I stumbled upon the world of Briar cigars.

One thing I have noticed is the design and the promise of cool, mobile, and quick smoke. One thing is, it really is as advertized. Such as the Morgan briar cigars. nearly every review I have seen about them are great, including the late Matches860. I have also stumbled upon Joyce Cigars which unfortunately the carver himself has stopped making them due to, from what I heard, finding a busier job and has no time in making them anymore. Needless to say, they look amazing. And from the very limited reviews, they also smoke great and are pretty easy to clean and smoke because of the design which has no stem, but a briar made with reverse calabash design with a sort of cigar punch hole at the end (Look them up, they are really a beauty)

So what is left? I have seen some pipe makers that have some really interesting designs, but is there a novelty waiting? We can all talk about the peterson systems, that is either a great novelty or a nightmare depending on who you ask. Falcon pipes are interesting and decently priced for what they are.

Your opinions gentleman? I may need a carver to make me one of those Joyce cigars...
I’ve seen e-cigars and, I swear to you, e-pipes. I guess it is there but it just doesn’t have that plum pudding effect, no “vape juice” can give you that wow factor, at least to my knowledge puffy

Reactions: smudgersmissingleg

Law

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 1, 2020
Saudi Arabia
Got a friend with a wood/metal lathe, or, a drill press? Making a cigar-pipe is one of the easiest turning jobs for even an rank amateur wood worker. We might call it a "cigar-pipe"....but aside from the actual shape and end-use....it's nothing more than a dowel, with a hole bored into one end.

Order a undrilled block of briar, from one of the many suppliers, or, just do a search for a hardwood dowel and drill and shape/whittle your own cigar pipe. Many hardwoods can be used for making this "pipe-cigar", e.g. *Olivewood, *Bocote, Bubinga, Purple Heart, Cherry, Pearwood, Maple, *Cocobolo, *Ebony, *Bloodwood, etc. Check out: Bell Forest Products for either exotic hardwood dowels, or, turning squares..... located in the "Exotic Wood Blanks" section. (bellforestproducts.com) Make your own customized, cheroot! Note: Woods marked with * will last forever. Rockler.com also lists hardwood dowels.

Any competent pipe-maker can easily fabricate one of these cigar-shaped pipes from briar, and even fit it with a short stem. However...anyone with the ability to drill a hole into wood.....can make a cigar shaped pipe.

Good luck if you decide to make your own "cigar".
Honestly that seems like an amazing project, but I just don't know any wood friends who have any of those tools. But I cant lie to you, I have definitely thought of it. one day, one day i’ll make my pipes...

Law

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 1, 2020
Saudi Arabia
First that I’ve heard about the briar cigar. Looked it up... Somewhat a novelty, but an interesting niche nonetheless. I like pipes and I like cigars, but together... maybe, perhaps... I don’t know.
I see your point. I don’t think it is fair to compare both of them as similar, but the briar “cigar” pipe shape offers some advantages to a normal pipe, usually the mobility and the short smoke. So hey, at the end its a pipe, and your smoking a pipe tobacco

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
tell me your take on plum pudding, interested in a wild man’s opinion
Wild man??

Before I started refusing to support Seattle Pipe Club's products I smoked it. Too much of a lat bomb for me.

I've got one of those cigar pipe things... and I didn't find it as advertised. It doesn't stay lit well, and relighting it is way more of a pain in the ass than a pipe. Then the tobacco will start sliding around unless you treat the thing with a steady hand never flinging it around when gesticulating wildly while smoking and talking. I gave it go and didn't get hooked. puffy

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I've got one of those cigar pipe things... and I didn't find it as advertised. It doesn't stay lit well, and relighting it is way more of a pain in the ass than a pipe. Then the tobacco will start sliding around unless you treat the thing with a steady hand never flinging it around when gesticulating wildly while smoking and talking. I gave it go and didn't get hooked. puffy
yeah they seem flawed.

Law

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 1, 2020
Saudi Arabia
I’ll have to take your word, i guess it is just that more people who dislike it are not out there complaining.

Hey, at least they are not cobs

• Haha
Reactions: cosmicfolklore
I’ll have to take your word, i guess it is just that more people who dislike it are not out there complaining.

Hey, at least they are not cobs
I also notice that in all of the selfies on here and "What are you smoking " threads, I have never ever seen someone post a picture or even mention one. I know that when I joined Instagram there were pipe makers posting them all the time, then a month latter, those guys stopped, and guys that had bought one, you just never saw them post pictures smoking them.
This may just be your favorite pipe, but if so, you really should promote that you smoke it with pics and stuff, otherwise we just assume it's on a shelf or in a drawer somewhere.

Law

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 1, 2020
Saudi Arabia
I
I also notice that in all of the selfies on here and "What are you smoking " threads, I have never ever seen someone post a picture or even mention one. I know that when I joined Instagram there were pipe makers posting them all the time, then a month latter, those guys stopped, and guys that had bought one, you just never saw them post pictures smoking them.
This may just be your favorite pipe, but if so, you really should promote that you smoke it with pics and stuff, otherwise we just assume it's on a shelf or in a drawer somewhere.
I have the exact same feeling. Though, from the limited reviews they where positive. Especially for the Morgan pipes. As I said even the late matches860 has mentioned they smoked cool and dry. So who am I to complain?

The thing that intrigued me really is how I can pre-pack it, stack 2 blends for a “complex” smoke, close the lid, put it in my pocket, and off I go. I also figured the lightning would be easier since it has a smaller chamber diameter and it faces forward like a cigar, thus easier lightning.

That sort of novelty is nice, the only problem is...the whole concept it seems ??‍♂️

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
If I want a cigar, I'd smoke a cigar. If I feel like a pipe, I'd smoke a pipe.
I just don't see the pointof a "briar cigar". A bit like "veggie meat"

I can face a day in the office now that I've had my rant for the morning ?

• Haha
Reactions: anotherbob and Law