PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

MacQuarrie

Lurker
Dec 24, 2020
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

I’ve been smoking off and on for several years. Not sure if I’m doing it right or not, just followed the guys at the Tinder Box directions on how to pack a pipe and then went on my way. Anyway, I picked up my pipe again after several years of not smoking about three weeks ago. I love the vanilla blend from my local shop but in the last few days something has happened. The first few days the vanilla flavor literally made my mouth water. It was so good and so pleasant. I was enjoying every bowl. For the last week or so now the flavor is gone or at least barely there. All I really get is a smoke or ash flavor. The first pack and light seems to be the only time I get the richness of the blend. What happened? Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas to everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I’ve been smoking off and on for several years. Not sure if I’m doing it right or not, just followed the guys at the Tinder Box directions on how to pack a pipe and then went on my way. Anyway, I picked up my pipe again after several years of not smoking about three weeks ago. I love the vanilla blend from my local shop but in the last few days something has happened. The first few days the vanilla flavor literally made my mouth water. It was so good and so pleasant. I was enjoying every bowl. For the last week or so now the flavor is gone or at least barely there. All I really get is a smoke or ash flavor. The first pack and light seems to be the only time I get the richness of the blend. What happened? Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas to everyone.
sip the smoke. When you start smoking faster and hotter the tobacco really losses some flavor. I always find the reviews of blends that say all I taste is ash this blends sucks funny because what I hear is I haven't learned how to properly pace a smoke. Just focus on sipping and if it starts to taste like that wait a little bit for the pipe to cool down and don't worry about if the pipe goes out nothing wrong with relights especially if you have a soft flame, zippo, or wooden matches (and some people swear by hemp wicks, never tried that). Should sort out the issue.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
sip the smoke. When you start smoking faster and hotter the tobacco really losses some flavor. I always find the reviews of blends that say all I taste is ash this blends sucks funny because what I hear is I haven't learned how to properly pace a smoke. Just focus on sipping and if it starts to taste like that wait a little bit for the pipe to cool down and don't worry about if the pipe goes out nothing wrong with relights especially if you have a soft flame, zippo, or wooden matches (and some people swear by hemp wicks, never tried that). Should sort out the issue.
This is the answer. Great advice.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
What those guys said. Also, you might want to try a non-flavored blend or two, to get the tobacco-only experience, plus the sipping, and so on. Pipe smoking is exceedingly simple, but there are lots of little ways to get it enjoyable and keep it there. All this should be casual and mostly self-initiated, the way you like it, and all should be well. Always, some smokes are better than others.

travis

Lurker
Nov 29, 2014
One other point. If you're taking up the pipe after a long lay-off, it may just be that your taste buds need to be reacclimated to the weed. 'Course sipping and cleaning you pipes are both excellent ideas.

MacQuarrie

Lurker
Dec 24, 2020
This is the answer. Great advice.
The one positive note from the ash and smoke result was while having a Caol Ila whisky last night, an Islay whisky with slightly peaty and smoky notes, it really highlighted the smoke and peat flavors of the scotch.
Clean your pipe.
I do run a pipe cleaner through it afterwards. I’m not sure how to clean it beyond that.

Reactions: edger

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
The one positive note from the ash and smoke result was while having a Caol Ila whisky last night, an Islay whisky with slightly peaty and smoky notes, it really highlighted the smoke and peat flavors of the scotch.

I do run a pipe cleaner through it afterwards. I’m not sure how to clean it beyond that.

Mac
Welcome to the forum. I wasn’t being snarky. Cleaning your pipe was my first thought.

Search the site for “Water Flush”. A clean pipe always provides a tasty smoke.

Sorry I didn’t get back to you sooner. My wife awoke feeling very poorly this morning and I didn’t know what I was gonna do.

Then I saw that BIG “M” in your name and I remembered.

McDonalds serves breakfast ALL DAY!!!

Reactions: edger