PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Last few weeks, I've been drying tobacco less and less. I do this once in awhile. I know there are those who only dry wettest tobacco. Most of them, they smoke 'em right of our tin. At this point, it really doesn't make much point in keep the tobacco dry or not. Cadence can controls how I smoke, and tongue bite wasn't much of an issue to start with. More moisture there is, there are more strong flavor. It's different from dry tobacco. Dry tobacco has very subtle taste. But wetter smoke has more sweetness and more intense flavor. It's more like dry flavor magnified. I'm wondering why more people are not smoking tobacco with more moisture. I can see dry smoke is more gentle and comfortable, but sometimes wetter smoke can be very satisfying.

pipingfool

Can't Leave
Sep 29, 2016
Seattle, WA
Just goes to show you that everyone' palate is different. I've always smoked my tobacco straight from the tin/jar without much (if any) drying time. But lately I've been drying it more and I've found that I've enjoyed it more and gotten more flavors and less roughness.

Of course, too dry and it's flavorless. So there is a point of diminishing returns.

Different strokes for different smokes.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Depends on the blend, the pipe, your cadence, etc.

There a certain blends I prefer to smoke straight out of the tin and rather moist, but far more often I have found that drying the tobacco better suits my palate and produces a more enjoyable smoking experience.

Different strokes for different folks and the beautiful thing is whatever works for you is always the correct answer.

Andriko

Can't Leave
Nov 8, 2021
London
I've always found 'wetter' tobacco to taste better, though there are a few exceptions. I generally don't bother drying it out, as I find dry tobacco burns a bit fast and hot, and doesn't carry the same richness. The drying obsession I see around here has always perplexed me - I think pipe people just like to make things more difficult than they need to be.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Last few weeks, I've been drying tobacco less and less. I do this once in awhile. I know there are those who only dry wettest tobacco. Most of them, they smoke 'em right of our tin. At this point, it really doesn't make much point in keep the tobacco dry or not. Cadence can controls how I smoke, and tongue bite wasn't much of an issue to start with. More moisture there is, there are more strong flavor. It's different from dry tobacco. Dry tobacco has very subtle taste. But wetter smoke has more sweetness and more intense flavor. It's more like dry flavor magnified. I'm wondering why more people are not smoking tobacco with more moisture. I can see dry smoke is more gentle and comfortable, but sometimes wetter smoke can be very satisfying.
My experience is the opposite of yours. Wet, the excess moisture masks flavors. Dried down I get much more intense, detailed flavors. With every blend that I try there is a period of testing moisture levels to find its sweet spot. Since I smoke Virginias and their variants about 95% of the time, drying down the tobacco increases the intensity of flavor for me. If I'm smoking a more heavily topped tobacco, like the G&H blends, I'll often dry less, since that does reduce the topping.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I have to dry the tobacco to prevent tongue bite from continual relights and/or puffing like a freight train to keep it lit.

As for flavor, I don't notice any loss unless it's kept dry for too long...except with Lat blends...I do try to smoke them slightly less dry. I don't normally smoke aros...closest thing is UF and it's about the same as Lat blends.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
I don’t smoke tobaccos that need drying time. I’ve tried and found it produces more smoke, faster burn rate and less flavor.

In fact, I enjoy Granger best when fresh. Pegasus and Crooner are always ready, as are other C&D blends, even their flakes and cakes. Rub em out and enjoy.

Now a big, wet bag of cavendish, ok. Then yes, of course.

kg.legat0

Lifer
Sep 6, 2019
Southwestern PA
I would love to smoke flakes right out of the tin...I just can't get the darn things to burn, at all.

Erinmore, Marlin Flake, SG FVF -- all recent, regular smokes ...I would almost think they were sprayed with a tasty flame retardant before being stuffed into tins. Especially FVF ...took a few bowls to figure out just how dry it has to be...and that is "really f***** dry".

That said, I would love to just be able to get em to burn and use my cadence to manage the burn...not happening (for me). I was actually pondering this fact a few days ago "who the hell can smoke flakes right out of the tin without drying.....and not end up with half a bowl of dottle..."