PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

drennan

Can't Leave
Mar 30, 2014
Normandy
I'm an outdoors smoker and the portability and clenchability make nosewarmers about the perfect pipe for me, being outdoors smoke in my face and eyes isn't an issue.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I've had a couple of beauties over the years, but I just don't like smoking them, so they were all sold. The only really "chubby" that I enjoy is my Al Pascia Curvy (of whose shape is so far outside my normal boundaries, it makes no sense).
I like smaller sort-of chubby pipes, but not genuine chubbies.
At the NJ show, Park Lane in NY had a dozen GL Pease June Bugs at great prices. My buddy bought one, I picked up a bent but knew it just wouldn't work

We shouldn't begrudge the guys with the small tiny pipes. It's not the size, but what you do with them. Some of us are just cursed with massive pipes. It's a burden... always worrying whether girls just like us for that one thing, being so obvious when we whip them out, and just the burden of wagging the big ol' pipe around. It's exhausting sometimes.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Not sure why anyone would have serious emotional revulsions against a nose-warmer OR a churchwarden--- both merely offer a different set of stylistic and smoking pleasures. Just because one or the other is not for you does not make them bad for everyone.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Toob, I couldn't agree more. I'm not a fan of bent pipes, so guess what, I don't have bent pipes, but I'm not going to besmirch bent pipes.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I have a revulsion for Falcon Pipes but one of my dearest friends loves them and he is also German. He is still fine in my book and welcome to marry my sister if I had one and I would happily sit and drink beer with him in the Fatherland all day long!

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
"Cosmic, just like big belt buckles and massively lifted trucks....... that's why I smoke nose warmers."
Nice. Some need compensation. This is probably my favorite in my nose-warmer fleet.
radice-rind-nosewarmer-600x450.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I own and enjoy a few nose warmers. Their special usefulness is their stubby, thick shank and stem, that make them sturdy pocket pipes unlikely to get broken by bending the way a longer or more slender pipe might. For travel or toting around, they serve an excellent purpose. For many purposes, I like a longer, in some cases thinner, pipe, but for their assigned work, a nose warmer is a fine pipe.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Here are a couple views of one of my nose-warmers. Actually a very big bowl, very broad for its depth. Great for english blends.
p4174774-2-600x260.jpg

p4174778-2-600x270.jpg

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
Toobfreak, I just lost 4 hours of my Sunday to the vortex of time that is your avatar.
I would rather whip out a nosewarmer in public than a churchwarden, I am sure Freud has something to say about that, mostly I just don't really want the extra attention. I love smoking my churchwarden at home with a book though...
Isaac

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
The smallest pipes in my collection vary around 5 to 6 inches. Mostly quarter to half bent, and well away from my mustache.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I have churchwardens and nosewarmers. I have found that I often exhale from my mouth. Thus regardless of the pipe, the smoke is in my face. I NEVER clench, except for lighting, so weight is not a factor. But I only have one pipe with a saddle bit. All others are tapered. Everyone has some criteria of what makes a pipe pleasing.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
I love my nose warmers & my church wardens. Nose warmers ideally suited for when I'm working with my hands. Smoking a churchwarden in a nice hot bath, one of life's luxuries!

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I'm glad we avoided the claim that a longer shank "cools" the smoke (or that a shorter shank doesn't).

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
The reality = my experience

i.e. that the nose-warmer does not smoke hotter

My opinion. I like pipes under 6" a a general matter

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
All of my pipes are between 3 1/2 inches and 5 1/2 inches or they're on the market to sell. We all have preferences and there's no correct answer and not one damn thing wrong with anyone's ideal.

Status
Not open for further replies.