PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Nosewarmers are out.
No, actually they are in. In way, way close to the face. Really close in.
Great for blowing soap bubbles through too when the baccy runs out
Also very good for scratching yourself in hard to reach places.
But at a rate that's minuscule. A non-starter in practical terms.
That was one of my main concerns. But surprisingly, between my stubbiest bulldog and a big fricking gourd calabash, the difference is less than one might think. Built right, apparently three inches is enough to get the job done!

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
"...not one damn thing wrong with anyone's ideal."
Except hookahs. Those are just damned goofy. :D

Mar 1, 2014
"I'm glad we avoided the claim that a longer shank "cools" the smoke (or that a shorter shank doesn't)."
Distance from the bowl definintely makes a difference.

If you really want to feel it you need a short stem and very open draft, the first time I tried a Missouri Meerschaum hardwood pipe it was surprisingly warm.
That said, I doubt if it actually makes any difference to the average person's enjoyment. I've seen the Reverse Calabash tests where someone measured the change in temperature between different configurations, but I'm still not sure if that temperature difference would be enough to reduce bite in any significant way, or at least if it isn't just the sediments and other things settling before reaching your mouth.
Pretty much everything is more reactive at higher temperature, so you should get "less bite" with any reduction in temperature, the question is how significant the bite is in the first place and how much it deviates from that.

I've seen the Reverse Calabash tests where someone measured the change in temperature between different configurations,

Would you care to share that result?

All of the results of measuring wardens verses nosewarmers verses real pipes that I have heard of reported that there is no significant difference, given the speed at which even a sip off the pipe travels.

But, my best guess is that there are no credible reports, as there are probably no credible studies. But, to my taste buds, the difference is nil. But hey, if you think your smoke is cooler, then who is going to argue. But, I would also say that you can't make the claim that someone else's churchwarden will give them any coolness.

But, if you enjoy churchwardens, then you must be doing something right.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I love nosewarmers...... Probably 75% of my pipes are under 5" and several are under 4". I find regular length pipes to cumbersome for clenching and tend to swing around in my mouth.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
. Becker Morta bought about 5 yrs ago, Great little smoker.

crazyhog

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 18, 2015
OK, I started this thread and I must be bipolar. Well, after reading all your post and seeing some great poker pics, I just placed a high bid on a Rick Black poker. Its 5"L, but 2 5/8" tall and a sitter, 2.4 oz. I'm not a clencher, so I figure I can puff then, put then put it down and repeat. The height of the rim may help also. Ill let you know if I win. Thanks Oh, and I love that Morta!

Mar 1, 2014
Cosmic, your defensiveness on this subject is cute, it almost sounds like you've started to personally associate yourself with Nosewarmers.

I promise I'm not trying to convert anyone.
This article has been posted a number of times over the years, just do a search for "pipesmagazine.com reverse calabash" and it's in the second hit (plus several others further down)

http://tobaccodays.com/2014/03/100-proven-reverse-calabash-pipes-provide-a-cooler-smoke/
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/reverse-calabash-3

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/reverse-calabash-pipes

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/tell-me-about-reverse-calabashes

I kinda stand corrected... The tobaccodays blog post is a great experiment, and having smoked a calabash, I can see that having a giant reserve chamber is beneficial. Plus the flavors are just so much better. But, I have six churchwardens. My favorite is the Scream Warden made by Northern Briars. On a calabash, I notice that it takes a few puffs to get the smoke from bowl to chamber to the stem. However, on my wardens, it's just as instantaneous as all of my other pipes. The volume of adding 12" to a 3mm hole is much less volume than a calabash. The speed of even the gentlest puff is very fast. Condensers in an air conditioner use many feet of small diameter tubing to reduce the temperatures of pressurized air. I do have one short 4" brandy, and it has made me ponder, I do that sometimes while smoking, and I just don't think your typical warden is long enough or a nose warmer is short enough to make much difference.
I'm not sure that the links to the calabash posts were... wait... were we talking about calabashes? I thought this was a nose warmer thread?
And, thank you for calling me cute :puffy: I appreciate it. Folks don't compliment my beauty enough on here.

Mar 1, 2014
The Calabash tests establish the principle that larger spaces provide cooler smoke.
That said, I doubt if it actually makes any difference to the average person's enjoyment. I'm still not sure if that temperature difference would be enough to reduce bite in any significant way, or at least if it isn't just the sediments and other things settling before reaching your mouth. You should get "less bite" with any reduction in temperature, the question is how significant the bite is in the first place and how much it deviates from that.

crazyhog

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 18, 2015
I was outbid on the poker pipe. Anyway, my experience with cooler smoking pipes have been a combo of technique, tobacco and a well engineered pipe.

donkeykong

Lurker
Mar 21, 2017
Montville, ohio
*whips all 3" out
she says "who do you think you're gonna please with that thing?!"
Reply "me"
Joking apart, I'm glad I read this thread. I am without a doubt a clencher. I'll have to get a weight on my paronelli at some point. It's not light by any stretch of the imagination, but I figure that it does wonders for my double chin and jawline... ya know my hairline isn't what it used to be so I had best keep up a good jawline (insert german joke here... especiall as I'm English and my wife German) lol
I was gonna ask if the nosewarmers smoked hotter.. I keep wanting a Peterson Ashford (68) with the military mount with "the system" in a dark smooth stain... I keep talking myself out of it. I'm also looking forward to getting down to the river with my fly rod... hoping I can handle keeping my no-name in my teeth for an enjoyable fishing trip.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
Well if we are talking about reverse calabash, that's extra cute. I have a nosewarmer RC, so now what? Was the argument that nose warmers smoke hot, but long pipes don't? Because there's no discernible difference between a long and short pipe, but you put a chamber in a nose warmer and it's a cool smoking pipe. Or not. Sorry frozen, but that article was entirely about a cooling chamber and unrelated to stem length.

Mar 1, 2014
2/3 of my posts are caveats saying "you probably won't notice" but it seems I've still managed to kick a sacred cow.

I'm not making any argument that nosewarmers smoke hot, just stating facts and then questioning the extent of the application. I like my Savinelli 320 quite a lot.
Have you compared your pipe with a short Cob?

It's a very specific circumstance where you'll really notice the temperature difference, I suppose I could have made that more clear.

The wide open draft is a key point, the Savinelli 320 doesn't give nearly as much of the effect. It is sometimes still noticable (e.g. while lighting), just not nearly as noticalbe as the pipes with a wide bore draft. I also get more warmth from one billiard with the draft bored out to 3/16".
If I'm saying anything controversail it's that I doubt that temperature has any significant affect on bite in the first place other than the increased chemical reactivity. I've never felt like pipe smoke could possibly come close to causing a thermal burn.

As far as I'm concerned all the talk of steam burning your tongue is a myth.

Of course proving that one way or another would be quite a feat.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
I don't think you've kicked a sacred cow, here frozen, I think that you confuse people by making statements that have seemingly nothing to do with the conversation, but then try to make them relevant and act as though you're stirring a pot with your outlandish ideas, when really we're just not sure where you were going in the first place.

Mar 1, 2014
I wasn't the one who brought the subject up, and the assertion of the post I quoted was that longer stems don't make any difference, which is definitely false.
Reading my response again, the only point that was muddy is the idea that people probably shouldn't be concerned with high temperatures in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.