PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

onepyrotec

Lifer
Feb 20, 2013
Nevada
I cannot let this happen about Norwood Pipe Repair without saying anything about it.
I have a Meerschaum pipe which I just purchased that I wanted a gold band placed on the end of the shank. The pipe didn't seemed finished to me without it. Anyhow, I mailed it to Norwood last Friday before I left town for 5 days along with a note with full descriptions of what I need and shipping info. I get a voicemail the following Monday early afternoon that my pipe is finished and ready to be returned! All I needed to do was verify how I wanted to pay. Judging by the time stamp on the voicemail message, they must have got the package delivered and went right to work on it. All I can say is they have a customer for life and I would happily recommend their service to ANYONE he needs any type of pipe repair.
www.norwoodspiperepair.com

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
They've done several pipes for me and I'm a real fan too. Glad you had such a good experience. Floyd and his son are great people and very good at what they do.

onepyrotec

Lifer
Feb 20, 2013
Nevada
For what it is worth, Walker was never in the running for the work, wait time has nothing to do with it.
The band was was/is more of an addition vs. a repair. The pipe I just purchased new and has only been used once before the work was done. It just didn't have the finished look to me. It only cost $27.46 for the 14k band, mounting, S&H for return. IMHO well worth it for this pipe.
meer5_zps1d7d944c.jpg

meer6_zps631c78c5.jpg

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Onepyrotec:
$27 for the 14kt band? That seems almost impossible, with the labor. It looks like .020" thickness (from the pic) and that has to weigh near .3 to .5 dwt. If my calculations are correct, the metal itself, (no labor) would run 32.50 or thereabouts (current gold market)
I can't imagine how they manage that.
Excellent for you.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Roth, you are probably right.
My assumption was that each band was hand made to fit the pipe, and most likely not correct. Possibly these items come in different sizes, 'ready to go'and they had stock on them.
After all, gold rings like these are not really found much anymore on current pipes, right?

onepyrotec

Lifer
Feb 20, 2013
Nevada
I need to clear it up a bit. The band is plated 14k. I don't think they are made per pipe, the price list page says Gold Bands (small sizes only) None the less, the price, service, & speed are great.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
I need to clear it up a bit. The band is plated 14k
Ok, that makes more sense. Sorry for being technical, but I'm a jeweler and am acutely aware of pricing of metals.
Still, either way, it looks great.
(If it is plated well, it should keep its color for years because there is no actual 'wear' going to happen on the band)

trailspike48

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 15, 2013
Judging by the time stamp on the voicemail message, they must have got the package delivered and went right to work on it.
I've used Norwood's twice, with exactly the same time line. Great service and repairs.

fishingandpipes

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2013
Norwood is super fast.
Out of curiosity, why was Walker out of the running? I haven't used a ton of repair folks out there but while his wait time is up there I found his work to be of the highest quality I've used.

onepyrotec

Lifer
Feb 20, 2013
Nevada
No worries, there are no underlying issues withe Walker. It is a simple as when I asked a few fellow pipers who to use for the ring...Walker was never suggested. Had Walker been suggested I may have used them. That being said, I still stand strong that there is zero percent chance anyone could have done a better job for the alteration I had made to my pipe by Norwood.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I had a similarly good experience with Norwood Pipe Repair. I sent a James Upshall Silver Spigot to him for a Cumberland stem, sent via USPS with tracking. Floyd called to say the pipe stem was completed and ready to ship, he just needed my payment method (paid via Paypal). This was on a Saturday morning and it was in the mail before the PO closed (1 PM here). A half hour AFTER Floyd called to say the pipe and stem were ready to ship, I rec'd notification from USPS that the pipe had been delivered to his shop....
The new stem was perfect!

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/james-upshall-b-new-norwood-stem#post-458669

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Pipe repair seems to be the best deal, biggest bargain, in the world right now. So few possessions are designed

to be repaired, even heavy duty electronic devices. Once it's in need of repair, it's time for replacement. Pipes

are a different and unique story. I am thinking of having several of my oldest pipes refurbed, even though they

have no specific repairs needed, since I can't quite believe the prices will remain this low.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
I sent in a Peterson Premier 302 for a fishtail stem during my Thanksgiving break. It was returned a little over a week later. I can't wait to get home and check it out in a few more days. They are lightning fast!

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I had Norwood replace a horribly oxidized sour-tasting vulcanite bit on a Dunhill estate, with an acrylic stem (I prefer them because they're lower maintenance) with an authentic-looking Dunhill white dot. They did an awesome job, super fast turnaround, and reasonable cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.