PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

StayPufft

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 16, 2022
Hey guys, I kept hearing good things about Northern Briars on this forum so I took the plunge and got two. Here are a couple photos of each. I’m wondering if my expectations were too high or if I have a reason to be disappointed in the two I got? What’s seen and not seen in the photos - On one pipe the silver is deeply scratched, misshapen with adhesive coming out the end and pitting on the smooth pipe. The other one with the Celtic band also has adhesive spilling out and does not line up to make flush at all, there’s also chatter marks on the chamfer on the rusticated pipe. What do you guys think? I understand that these pipes are on the more affordable side in comparison to other artisan brands.

Attachments

• B49963C0-76B0-40B9-A1C4-8060BC663875.jpeg
    B49963C0-76B0-40B9-A1C4-8060BC663875.jpeg
    161.1 KB · Views: 48
  • CD0699D3-05A4-4E04-B67C-8857A18D2E09.jpeg
    CD0699D3-05A4-4E04-B67C-8857A18D2E09.jpeg
    126.2 KB · Views: 48

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Hey guys, I kept hearing good things about Northern Briars on this forum so I took the plunge and got two. Here are a couple photos of each. I’m wondering if my expectations were too high or if I have a reason to be disappointed in the two I got? What’s seen and not seen in the photos - On one pipe the silver is deeply scratched, misshapen with adhesive coming out the end and pitting on the smooth pipe. The other one with the Celtic band also has adhesive spilling out and does not line up to make flush at all, there’s also chatter marks on the chamfer on the rusticated pipe. What do you guys think? I understand that these pipes are on the more affordable side in comparison to other artisan brands.
estates? or new?

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Like it says above (and should have been mentioned either way in the post) you should contact the carver first and probably not just post up the pics unless he's had a chance to make it right. Looking at the pics, that wouldn't be acceptable to me but I don't know the circumstances under which they were purchased. Hope it works out.

Reactions: anotherbob
I've got a few of his pipes and one is a bespoke. All nice smokers. 1 was drilled a bit off (it didn't reach the actual bottom of the bowl, but smokes great) Top briar overall very happy with them.

Like mentioned above, best to hit up the carver first. They are made by hand and consequently subject to possible issues. Ian is excellent to work with.

StayPufft

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 16, 2022
Here’s my experience and opinion. Ian uses excellent briar that produces a nice smoking pipe. He has very good and creative carving skills. His attention to fit and finish are less than exemplary. His drills often suck.
Thanks, thanks helps. I hear they do smoke phenomenally

Reactions: anotherbob

StayPufft

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 16, 2022
I assume you’ve not attempted to contact Ian. I’ve never owned one, but have admired a few. If it’s eating at you…contact Ian. I’m sure he will address your concerns. ☕
You’re right, I have not. It doesn’t bother me to the point to contacting him, I just wanted to hear your thoughts.

StayPufft

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 16, 2022
Like it says above (and should have been mentioned either way in the post) you should contact the carver first and probably not just post up the pics unless he's had a chance to make it right. Looking at the pics, that wouldn't be acceptable to me but I don't know the circumstances under which they were purchased. Hope it works out.
I didn’t want to contact him to complain if this is considered normal

StayPufft

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 16, 2022
Thanks for everyone’s help. Didn’t mean any disrespect, just wanted to gather an opinion before I would have contacted Ian.

Reactions: Simmerdown☕️
I didn’t want to contact him to complain if this is considered normal
Actually, Kevin made it a forum rule not to post something negative about a company until after you've given them a chance to make it good. But, since you were just window-shopping, I'm not sure if that applies.

Ian was a jeweler, and a really nice guy, and I imagine he would not be happy to find his metalwork in such disarray. This is not usual for his work.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Actually, Kevin made it a forum rule not to post something negative about a company until after you've given them a chance to make it good. But, since you were just window-shopping, I'm not sure if that applies.

Ian was a jeweler, and a really nice guy, and I imagine he would not be happy to find his metalwork in such disarray. This is not usual for his work.
that's the thing is there is a good chance he'd be happier having it fixed then leaving it as is. When you make something like that each piece is potential advertising.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Brand new from two different shops.
Key information not in the original post.

Your issue is with the shops and there should be normally be no reason why they wouldn't take them back and refund your money pretty much no questions asked on a new pipe unless that wasn't part of the deal to start with (everyone I've bought from that's a "shop" will take a pipe back, even most that aren't).

Without mentioning that you left open the thought you got them directly from the carver, which is why people suggested contacting him. The notion you were gathering info with the idea of contacting him doesn't make a lot of sense to me, when he wasn't part of the transaction. So maybe a little unfair (the shop could have scratched up that band, that one very well may not have been his fault at all).

It's what you think that matters, so if you don't like the looks, send them back.

Reactions: Toast