PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

scratchadams

Lurker
Dec 17, 2016
Hello everyone! I am very new to this hobby and am really enjoying it so far! I actually have a tobacconist near me who, although focuses mainly on cigars, has a decent selection of pipe tobacco stored in mason jars. I picked up two types, one was labeled country side, which smells like vanilla and I really enjoy (although I think I may enjoy something stronger moving forward) as well as one which is a pure Virginia slices, which I enjoyed too. I have been doing research online, and as always I want to try everything!! I know this is not possible due to my budget, so I was wondering if there is anywhere I can buy a variety pack of samples or something similar, so I can find what I like the best and spend my money on something I will actually smoke. Any advice would be appreciated. (I just ordered some condor plug by the way, mainly because I like the way it looks and the process of cutting, rubbing, and drying before smoking :) )

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
Any of your major online retailers tend to have some good sampler sets for the beginner. I definitely ordered things like that quite a few times to get as much variation as possible at the lowest cost. You can get them in bulk tobacco but will have to be careful to use them up or jar them, but you can also do tins. It is really up to you.

scratchadams

Lurker
Dec 17, 2016
crashthegrey: thank you for your suggestion! It looks like a lot of these sampler packs are of a single producer, any recommendations on brands to try?

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
If you liked the Virginia flake, I would recommend McClelland as one of my personal favorite manufacturers. For the more aromatic, Cornell & Diel is probably a good start. It's hard to go wrong, though. This is the best part of the journey.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
4noggins has some good samplers, although these tend to be 4 noggins blends, but will give you an idea about what's available. Or you can go to the bulk section (in plastic bags rather than tins) of smokingpipes.com or other online retailers. Starting out, I recommend buying in small quantities, like an ounce or two. Jar anything that you won't smoke in a few days. Save anything you don't like, to try it later, since your tastes will change. And for the same reason, don't buy anything in quantity for about a year. You may love it this month and not so much after that. Aromatics (flavored tobacco) is popular with people starting out, but you also want to dip into non-aromatic to find out how the tobacco itself tastes in different forms -- English, burley, Virginia, Balkan, and much else. But take your time and enjoy yourself. No rush.

lonefrog615

Might Stick Around
Nov 19, 2015
+1 on saving anything you don't like and not buying any more then an ounce or two as Mso489 suggested. When I first started smoking a pipe many years ago I thought I would never smoke anything but this or that amazing blend...then I would tire of it and find a new love. Then I would tire of the new one and so on and so on. Took years for me to understand which blends I would always come back to time and time again. Enjoy and welcome to the brotherhood of pipe smokers!

scratchadams

Lurker
Dec 17, 2016
Thanks for the advice everyone, I will definitely save anything that I don't happen to like, and looks like I can finally make use of the collection of mason jars that has been building up in my cabinet! I found a couple of sampler packs that I think I will try, but probably will wait until after the holiday to order them so I don't piss off my wife for spending too much money this year :-P

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
Try this
http://boswellpipes.com/tobacco/boswell-blends/boswell-samplers/
Or go to SPC or P&C and select 1oz samples of blends that sound good

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
Peter Stokkebye's has many many different blends that you can buy bulk; just an ounce or 2 to try. Most online sellers have them; just check with the board sponsors.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Sounds like what you're asking is: "Does anyone know where I can get 'free' samples"?

We all want to spend our money on stuff we like, and I for one, live within my means.

Sure, somebody will probably respond with our forum's characteristic generosity, but really?

downinit

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 18, 2016
Being a fellow noob with a little more experience, here are some of my favorites so far ...
Sutliff black cordial bulk (cherry flavoured cavendish)

Hearth&Home AJ's VaPer bulk (PipesAndCigars.com only)(VaPer with black cavendish)

Dunhill My Mixture 965 bulk or tin (popular English blend)

Dunhill The Aperitif TIN (English blend)

Frog Morton Across the Pond TIN (mellow English blend)

G&H Ennerdale bulk (English Lakeland blend) (start with only one ounce! A lot of folks can't stand this one)
Good look in your efforts to avoid TAD! I failed :(

Bob

scratchadams

Lurker
Dec 17, 2016
newbroom - sorry if I came off that way, but I am not looking for any 'free' samples (although a few members of this forum have reached out directly and have been extremely generous!!). I am just looking for the best way to get a number of different varieties without breaking the bank. So far all the suggestions have been great and I have found some sampler packs that I am going to order. I think I am going to try to order one of the packs from boswell as their reviews online are good, and the prices are very reasonable (at least they seem to be)

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
scratchadams, it is I who must apologize. I must have been out of my gourd and took frustration out on the nearest chat box. I am truly sorry for my insinuation about your motives.

Here's what I did in my first year.

I acquired several different blends and made a 'blind trade' with one of our forum members. I was first to send off samples, and then he complied at his leisure. Neither of us was on a schedule about this, but I did get to try a whole bunch of stuff I would have taken years to accomplish and did exactly what you are trying to do, educate me about these commonly discussed blends.

My end was rather ridiculous in hindsighht, as I'd saved several small wooden match boxes and used those to contain each sample, but my fellow trader sent them back with his samples, and more, so it worked out nicely.

There were about 10 or 12 of them...so...we're talking about a total of 2 dozen blends.

I think the boxes were just a little 'much'. and I should have used baggies and let it ride. I wrapped each sample in tinfoil before boxing, so, we're not talking about a lot of tobacco overall.

Good hunting!

Again, I truly am sorry about my post.

scratchadams

Lurker
Dec 17, 2016
newbroom - Thank you for your response and no worries! I think that is a great idea of doing blind trades with another member, good way to try a bunch of different types and have someone to compare tastes with. On that note, if anyone is interested in doing a blind trade like this, please PM me. (I may also be tempted to send small samples of the different scotch whiskies that I am pairing with these for good measure, just not quite sure the legality of sending samples of booze through the post!)

jabo

Can't Leave
Jan 26, 2016
Check if there's a pipe club near you. At our meetings everyone usually brings different blends for all to try.

robertelliott

Lurker
Nov 5, 2012
Pipes and Cigars I would recommend . For the variety and the prices ,no one can go wrong. The best part of this hobby is that the horizon is boundless. Your tastes in tobacco and pipes will change and it should. That is the fun it. Research the wonderful history and enjoy the pleasure
Happy mortal! He who knows pleasure which a pipe bestows.

Isaac Hawkins Browne :puffpipe:

Status
Not open for further replies.