Nomenclature OCD - Is Dunhill so Collectible Because of all that Nomenclature?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

23 Fresh Bruno Nuttens Pipes
6 Fresh Castello Pipes
1 Fresh Clarin Clay Pipe
4 Fresh Scott Thile Pipes
24 Fresh Rossi Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Would I pay the ask for a new, current production pipe? No.

Agreed. I’d pay up for new pipes from modern artisans I know, like and respect (Chris Asteriou and Jack Howell are just two examples), but when it comes to factory pipes I want something made between 1920-1959. And for Dunhills in particular I primarily look for pre-war Shells with great sandblasts, although I also have a variety from immediately after the war through 1959.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I feel Dunhill/White Spot pricing is insulting, new or estate, notwithstanding some bargains available on eBay (some are bargains and some aren't). The pipes are classic, mostly nicely done, and certainly have name recognition. Yet anyone who knows pipes can get an equal or better pipe for less than White Spot prices. As some of the senior members here have reminded us, back in the 1950's, Kaywoodie was the more expensive pipe, and both a Kaywoodie and a Dunhill could be purchased by a young pipe smoker without breaking his/her bank account. A few artisan pipe carvers and a few factory pipe makers have inscribed their pipes with the date of manufacture. For example, the Colfax, N.C. pipe carver Jerry Perry, who works in briar, Mountain Laurel, and maple, etches his name and the year on his finished pipes. The Italian brand Luciano stamped their pipes with the year. Unfortunately, not many others have followed their good example, giving the birth year pipe market nearly entirely to White Spot.

Singularis

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
I feel Dunhill/White Spot pricing is insulting, new or estate, notwithstanding some bargains available on eBay (some are bargains and some aren't). The pipes are classic, mostly nicely done, and certainly have name recognition. Yet anyone who knows pipes can get an equal or better pipe for less than White Spot prices. As some of the senior members here have reminded us, back in the 1950's, Kaywoodie was the more expensive pipe, and both a Kaywoodie and a Dunhill could be purchased by a young pipe smoker without breaking his/her bank account. A few artisan pipe carvers and a few factory pipe makers have inscribed their pipes with the date of manufacture. For example, the Colfax, N.C. pipe carver Jerry Perry, who works in briar, Mountain Laurel, and maple, etches his name and the year on his finished pipes. The Italian brand Luciano stamped their pipes with the year. Unfortunately, not many others have followed their good example, giving the birth year pipe market nearly entirely to White Spot.
Lately I've been pondering the question "Why are Dunhill pipes so expensive?" when you can get comparable pipes (in terms of beauty and quality) for half or a third their price via the Peterson, Savinelli, Vauen, Rattray's, heck even Ashton brands.

If anyone has any more insights into this, I'd love to hear 'em.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Lately I've been pondering the question "Why are Dunhill pipes so expensive?" when you can get comparable pipes (in terms of beauty and quality) for half or a third their price via the Peterson, Savinelli, Vauen, Rattray's, heck even Ashton brands.

Due to exquisite elegance of their shaping ,and noble English heritage

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA

in my opinion it's the same reason certain clothing brands are expensive. Marketing and fashion.

First off, are we supposed to capitalize the D in dunhill, because I am confused as to which company it is we are talking about when we talk about the pipes. Dunhill makes fashion stuff. dunhill makes the pipes now, if I understand correctly.

But, to get a product to the level that the pipes are at meant decades of marketing, and backing the White Spot guarantee, which meant a lot of money was spent to make sure that the branding was top notch stuff. It meant more people wanted the pipes, which meant that they could afford to charge more to pay for all of that marketing and promotional stuff. When demand is high you rest on your laurels at a higher price point.

And, no one is going to bawk if you don't own a dunnie. Buy and enjoy the pipes you prefer. I for one am glad that there are pipes with such a demand that they can maintain that dunhill price. I also have a lot of pipes cheaper than dunhills. FWIW

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think many new pipe smokers with the means think buying the best means paying the most, and White Spot is made for them. They are handsome pipes, mostly, but the name recognition and prestige are the hook. Take off the white spot and stamp it with an unknown name, and few would be interested, and no one would be interested at those prices.

• Love
Reactions: anotherbob

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I should have mentioned that while I do own the one Dunhill in my favorite shape, I own more than 50 artisan made pipes. All of them smoke better than the Dunhill and the artisan stems are all better as well. The Dunhill's stem is not bad, it is respectable and pretty much easy to clench but not as easy as my artisans. Most of my collection is classic English shapes and when it comes to classic no one can beat Dunhill. I asked one of my artisans to make me a Dunhill LB and he did a pretty good job. Most of these new carvers can't cut a billiard to save their lives. They make these stupid shapes, put a stupid name on it and charge 600.00 bucks. Bullshit I say. Try making a Dublin and a Billiard, let us see your chops first before you go makeing weird shapes trying to make shapes that people have no clue as to what you made..

Here is Jack Howells version of my Dunhill LB Billiard. He did pretty well, but the angle is a tad off. Here is the Dunhill. The Dunhill has no grain which is one thing Jack beats the shit out of Dunhill. But again the angle is a tad off.

Here is Jacks

Reactions: Singularis

Singularis

Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
I should have mentioned that while I do own the one Dunhill in my favorite shape, I own more than 50 artisan made pipes. All of them smoke better than the Dunhill and the artisan stems are all better as well. The Dunhill's stem is not bad, it is respectable and pretty much easy to clench but not as easy as my artisans. Most of my collection is classic English shapes and when it comes to classic no one can beat Dunhill. I asked one of my artisans to make me a Dunhill LB and he did a pretty good job. Most of these new carvers can't cut a billiard to save their lives. They make these stupid shapes, put a stupid name on it and charge 600.00 bucks. Bullshit I say. Try making a Dublin and a Billiard, let us see your chops first before you go makeing weird shapes trying to make shapes that people have no clue as to what you made..

Here is Jack Howells version of my Dunhill LB Billiard. He did pretty well, but the angle is a tad off. Here is the Dunhill. The Dunhill has no grain which is one thing Jack beats the shit out of Dunhill. But again the angle is a tad off.

Here is Jacks
The Jack Howell is gorgeous. I can see why getting the angle wrong would bother you, but it's not like that wasn't done on purpose (i.e. Jack was somehow unable to replicate the proper angle of an English billiard). Maybe it had something to do with "working with the grain".

I also get what you are saying about "weird shapes": I don't particularly gravitate towards those newfangled shapes: I'm something of a traditionalist.

Knowing that the quality of the briar or quality of smoking isn't particularly reflective of Dunhill prices, I'm inclined to get something classy and traditional from among the Peterson portfolio. In particular, I'm quite enamored by the Ashford, Irish Harp, and Newgrange lines, all of which are in the mid-100s cost range.

Reactions: tobefrank

Gus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009

Here is Jacks
Harris, you have a great colection of artisan pipes...

I think that Jack is not exactly one of those artisans of today who make "strange" shapes and charge 600 USD, but rather moves in his interpretations of classic shapes and some freehand but nothing "strange".

that said, Jack's prices, I'm on my third pipe of his already, and I keep asking him for more, are more than reasonable prices for what he offers, well below other artisans or brands, I would doubt that their pipes can surpass Jack's smoking.

By the way, I like your Jack better than the dunhill, not only for the grain, but also for that personal touch of not making the exact classic shape.

But that's my personal taste, nothing more.

• Love
Reactions: anotherbob

bayareabriar

May 8, 2019
I think dating is the only thing that establishes quality from a generalization. Certain years aren’t so great and bring less money.

So here you have quality and value mutually interdependent.

Do many people know any of the pipe makers at Dunhill? Compared to pipe makers of stanwell, Anne Julie, etc… other than Sasieni and ones of earlier production?

if Dunhill distinguishes itself by maker, it would devalue its image and give nod towards a single person and not the brand.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I think dating is the only thing that establishes quality from a generalization. Certain years aren’t so great and bring less money.

So here you have quality and value mutually interdependent.

Do many people know any of the pipe makers at Dunhill? Compared to pipe makers of stanwell, Anne Julie, etc… other than Sasieni and ones of earlier production?

if Dunhill distinguishes itself by maker, it would devalue its image and give nod towards a single person and not the brand.
Bill Taylor?

Aug 1, 2012
I think part of the draw of Dunhill is that they are one of the classic "names" in their field. That is down to marketing, word of mouth and tradition imo. Some will swear by them while others will always cry "overpriced."

Another car parallel here. Cadillac. Ask most older Americans and they will refer to Cadillac as a mark of quality and style. I've driven and ridden in some...in my opinion they are not deserving of the praise and price. Ask my father-in-law and you will get the opposite answer.

Nomenclature and the ability to date them somewhat reliably is a bonus but not the main driver of their reputation and market value. My opinion of course.