PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Having some time off over the holidays gave me time to meditate. This last year I’ve unexpectedly lost a friend, a long time co-worker and a relative. Each time it struck me that we can make all the long range plans we want, but it can all be over in a blink.

Pondering a cellar with many tins I’ve been saving for years for a “special occasion” seems foolish in light of the last year. No time like the present and nothing needs be more special than sharing a bowl with a friend.

A Viking funeral pyre fueled by a bunch of McClellands would be a poor alternative.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
As I was laying in bed with a hell of a fever a week ago, I kinda came to the same conclusion. I even decided to stop buying tobacco for the famous cellar: I might not live to finish the 5 or so pounds I have in my cupboard. Then again, I took the bait couple o' days ago and ordered a tin of Burley London Blend. Then again, as I was dressing to go to church this morn I noticed that I've probably lost yet more weight –in addition to the 8 pounds or so I've lost in the last months. Docs didn't find any cancer during my screening a month or so ago—maybe they're not looking in the right places.

It might be irresponsible when you're short of money and have bills to pay, but I'm decided to buy me that Meerschaum that struck my fancy this past week in the next couple of weeks or so. I might get to smoke it a couple of times before my life is required of me.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Any aging that happens in my cellar is due to the fact that I haven't gotten around to smoking it yet. There's no night and day change with aging but mellowing and melding. My cellar overfloweth for a time when tobacco is either unavailable or unaffordable. Every Jar and tin I own is fair game.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
As relates to pipe tobacco, there is not a blend I own that I wouldn't smoke on a whim. Most of my stash has accumulated because I buy more than I smoke, from enthusiasm I suppose. Pipe smoking is a pleasure and indulgence. I try not to overdo it, keep it on the moderate side. In other life choices, I'd like to live longer than I might expect, if I'm somewhat alert and able, and plan accordingly.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Any aging that happens in my cellar is due to the fact that I haven't gotten around to smoking it yet. There's no night and day change with aging but mellowing and melding. My cellar overfloweth for a time when tobacco is either unavailable or unaffordable. Every Jar and tin I own is fair game.
I am building my “cellar” with the same mindset. When tobacco is no longer easy to obtain, I will be happy with my stash

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
If you’re hoarding tobacco in the event that it comes unavailable, you don’t need unicorns and the special stuff. You just need an ample supply of blends you like. Put back a few pounds of bulk, and pull out and smoke those special tins.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
If you’re hoarding tobacco in the event that it comes unavailable, you don’t need unicorns and the special stuff. You just need an ample supply of blends you like. Put back a few pounds of bulk, and pull out and smoke those special tins.
You need what you like and if penzance is all someone likes....well....
I like variety. I have about 20 or so blends that I go deep on all the while I try something new and but s few tins.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
As a good friend of mine in the beer community always said, “When you open a bottle (tin) like that one, that is the special occasion.”

Or a favorite from investing “The long term play is the safest bet, but it won’t stop you from getting hit by a bus tomorrow.”

Sorry for your loss :(

JohnnyAZ

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 14, 2019
I'm in the same boat, smok'em if you got'em. Everything is fair game in my cellar but I am a little more reluctant to crack the Mcclelland tins. Having said that, I should smoke through my open tins and jars before opening something new but I tend to open whatever the situation and mood dictates.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
While it is foolish for anyone to assume how much time they have left, it is even more foolish to not prepare for the future.

The problem for most people is not too much planning for the future, but too little.

So I'd say be thankful for every day above ground, but try to strike some balance between enjoying the present and planning for the years ahead.

Akousticplyr

Lifer
Oct 12, 2019
Florida Panhandle
There is a number on the wall for all us and if today is the day your number comes up then so be it baby! Quote by Sam Diamond Private Eye in Murder By Death.

Great old movie!

Sidney Wang:
Yes, is confusing.”
“Lionel Twain:
IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!”

“Willie Wang:
Who do you think is the murderer?”
“Sidney Wang:
Must sleep on it. Will know in morning when wake up.”
“Willie Wang:
But what if you don’t wake up?”
“Sidney Wang:
Then YOU did it.”

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
Isn't building a cellar a sure way to avoid calamity and maintain your purchase on this mortal coil? I'll never forget Lee Von Erck's response in Father the Flame when asked what keeps him going. It boiled down to something like "I've got a lot of good tobacco I gotta smoke yet." Just think of that old tin of your favorite down in the basement whenever you cross the street, and you'll damn sure look both ways first, especially if there are any buses about. Yet another way that pipesmoking can save your life!

Status
Not open for further replies.